April's Real Blog

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Gramps had another stroke

When Mom was babysitting Robin the other day, she got a call from Iris, who asked her 2 come 2 the hospital rite away. Mom left robin w/Connie Poirier and rushed off 2 the hospital.

Gramps was in a hospital bed all unconscious, and Iris told Mom, "It's another stroke, Elly. Even w/all the medication he's on--it's another one. They say it will take a few days B4 we know where he is.... Mentally and physically. What if he never wakes up? What if..." And Mom sed, "Don't think that way, Iris. We have 2 hope 4 the best!" A bit l8r, Iris called me, and she sed, "April dear, I don't know if I should tell U this, but after yr mother sed that, I found myself thinking, 'In this situation... What is the best?'" I told her that probably every1 is kinda thinking that, cuz if Gramps never gains consciousness, or if he does but he's worse than he was B4, that wd just B a terrible way 2 B alive.

I didn't have the heart 2 tell her that I found Mom on the fone w/Connie asking if she thinks playing Bobby Curtola music @ a funeral is tacky.

Pls think gd thots 4 my Gramps, ppl! I don't want 2 lose him, but like I sed, there R worse things than just plain dying, and we hafta hope 4 what's best, 4 real.

Apes

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said…

    What amazes me is the fact that they didn't realize that your Granddad would have another stroke. After all, the medication isn't gonna keep him from having another one but make it less likely. Trusting in faith is fine but preparing for the worst anyway is better. Like you said, vegetation or living with worse damage is not a way to live. Not hat your parents would allow him to go peacefully. The man they had no time for won't be allowed to pass on because his life suddenly became precious.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Cheeze and doggone it, here I thought the story of me and my wedding to Anthony would finally get to be the most important story in all of Milborough, but no, stupid Grandpa Jeff or whatever his name is had to go and be alive still and what's worse, he had a stork, and I am so furious, he is over 80 years old, storks should only happen to young and fertile women in their prime like me, it's so unfair, and you just know that bigmouth Iris is going to shove that baby in our faces, and think it makes her the most important person in the world, just because she is 80 and can carry a grown man on her back with no trouble at all and also get a baby besides, well, I think that is just selfish, wasn't it enough for them to have that storyline about whatever it was that happened to make Grandpa Jake not be able to see, or whatever, they are just attention hogs, is what they are, don't they know old people should only be seen and heard when there is a "what a cute grump!" joke to be made, they should not be having storks come to their door, oh no, that is way over the line, double cheeze whiz and gosh golly dang it!

    Liz

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said…

    Here's a thought to balance out Liz's thoughtlessness: maybe, just maybe, all of Gramps' meds could have been the problem. Iris and your mom certainly seem to think he's taking too many of the wrong pills and they may be on to something. There is such a thing as drug interaction, you know. For all we know, two of his scrips might, in concert, have laid him low.

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    liz: our grandpa's 1st name? jim. not jeff and not jake. and yeah, i really wish he were well and there4 yr story wd be what every1 focuses on.

    dc2, u cd b rite abt drug interactions. i will let u all know when i know more. i only ever get 2 find this stuff out in bits an' pieces.

    apes

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Don't get all high and mighty with me just because you actually have talked to Grandpa Joe in the last ten years, it's not like it makes you a better person than me, you can still be an excellent granddaughter while never talking to your actual grandparent, I have lots of other things to worry about, like how to get a stork of my very own, just like Grandpa Jud, you say I have to take a lot of medication that doesn't agree with each other, that's a good clue, I went through my whole medicine chest and found none that I could mix together to get a stork but I saw on my birth control pill package, which I use only for reducing cramps Miss Dirty-Mind April, that if I smoke and drink and eat a lot of fatty food while I take them, I could get a stork of my very own, I can't wait, I already went to McDonalds three times today and I am working my way through a carton of Virginia Slims and a quart of vodka, I am going to show my dedication and hopefully my stork will show up as soon as possible.

    Liz

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    liz, u dope, gramps didn't have a "stork," he had a stroke. now quit the junk food and smoking, u'll just kill yrself if u keep that up!!!

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home