April's Real Blog

Friday, February 16, 2007

Mike parks

Mike sez:
April,

Little sis. I prefer trains and buses to go to work. I am a fan of the mass transit system. When I went to work from our old apartment, I used to I walk to the corner every morning and catch the 7 am bus to Glenn Ave. then hop the train into the city. It might be the influence of watching dad play with his trains for hours on end when I was growing up and just yesterday, but there's something about trains that makes one relax, turn inward, and think.

After my visit with Josef Weeder and Lovey Saltzman, I realized that one of the really nice things about riding on a train to work is you don’t have to deal with corrupt parking lot attendants. Since the fire, I have had to drive to work from Milborough, and most times I get there early enough so I don’t have any problems with unshaven, unbathed, unkempt, undesirable parking lot employees who illegally fill any empty spots which are rented, in order to make extra money for themselves over and above what the person renting the spot has paid. On the day after my visit with Weed and Lovey, I went to work and arrived later than usual at the parking lot, and instead of getting to enjoy the voluptuous advertisement of the girl in the red one-piece swim suit advertising Martini Vodka, on a backdrop of what must be the world’s largest building using aluminum siding; I had to concentrate on the vile, little, orange-haired, obese, rank-smelling, pretentious-sunglasses-wearing attendant telling me “This parking lot is full, buddy.” I explained to him, “But…I have space number 12.” You would think that the word of a Patterson and my mention of a space by an actual number would make him realize he was incorrect about the parking lot being full, but he just stared at me blankly as if he were expecting me to back down and back up.

So I had to explain to him further. I said, “Look. I’m renting that space from a guy called Chuck Haskins.” I said, “called” instead of “named”, because technically his name is Charles Haskins, but the parking lot attendant seemed to be a person with about as much intelligence as a special needs flea, so I didn’t want to confuse him with both names. It seemed to work, because he recognized Chuck’s name, and said, “He never told me nothing.” Let me tell you little sis, the clear indication of gross stupidity is someone who uses a double-negative. Of course, “He never told me nothing” really means, “he told me something” but I was not about to explain a double-negative to a person who could neither appreciate nor understand it.

Instead I got out of my car, walked around the barrier and pointed directly to space 12 and said, “That’s my space! I’m paying for it!” I was sure my physical presence would intimidate the man, but instead he came out of his parking lot attendant booth, to accost me. He said, “Sorry. I’ll need something on paper.”

Little sis. I have been parking in Chuck Haskins’ space ever since the fire, but this is the first time I had to park there some other time than early in the morning, and it was the first time I needed to have something on paper. I was tempted to have a go at this filthy, disgusting, rancid, canker sore of a greedy, parking attendant; but I was reminded of the Patterson credo of passive aggression. So, I opened up my wallet and took out one of my $50 bills and I said, “50 bucks is ‘something on paper.’ and handed it to him. At last we had found a common language, the language of greed. He immediately reacted and pointed to the other man in the parking lot attendant booth and told him, “Hey! Move that car outta space 12!!!” And so he did.

After I was finally parked, I went inside my building and a found a kindred spirit standing by the elevators. He had his hands in his pockets and said to me, “Man! Parking is expensive on this street!” I had to chime in with “You’re telling me!” Which is true, because that’s exactly what he was telling me. I had to grin and bear it, even though I was seething with thoughts of revenge. Fortunately, my weekly column is due soon and I have this sense that a certain parking lot attendant will find himself compared to a carrion bird, feeding on the carcasses of empty, already-rented, parking spaces.

Revenge can be sweet, little sis. There are some columnists, who might take advantage of such an incident to write about Toronto Mayor David Miller and his desire to consider parking lot surcharges to help cut down on the number of cars being used and pollution being generated in the city. But such a writer as that is not Michael Patterson. Politics just muddies the waters. When you want to take someone down, you have to be much more specific.

Little sis, I can tell you that the rest of my day after that also did not go very well, but I am not certain I can tell you it now, without ruining your day for you out of sympathy for me, so I will stop right here, and perhaps continue tomorrow.

Love,
Michael Patterson
Hm, I wish I were so poor I cd throw around $50 like that, eh?

Apes

Labels:

14 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo, Patterson, didn't you get my message the other day? I tried reaching you at your parents' house and the young woman I talked to said she'd let you know I had to use the parking spot when I came in for an important meeting. She said she was pretty sure you were going to spend the day having tea with your buddy Weed and former landlady, Love-something.

    Of course, she also kept interrupting me to ask if I was an "eligible bachelor" looking to settle down with a "Patterson woman" who is "excellent breeding stock"; "must be willing to move to Milborough, have two children, one of each gender, and perhaps one late-in-life 'oops' baby." It was a little odd, sort of like a talking, and quite desperate personals ad.

    And she kept crying.

    Maybe I should have called back later and talked to someone else.

    Anyway, after the parking-lot attendant moved my car into an illegal spot on the street, I got towed. I asked the impound people to bill you, Patterson.

    Chuck

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chuck,

    I am terribly sorry for the miscommunication. You probably spoke to my sister and she failed to pass the message on to me. She is undergoing an emotional strain lately, because has had to sleep in the rec room of my mother’s house since Christmas Eve, last year. Next time, try to talk to my mother or my daughter. They are more responsible in passing on messages than my little sister.

    I spoke to the impound people, and after I gave them a couple of 50-dollar bills, they were more than happy to ignore your illegal parking bill. They had all kinds of suggestions for me. They said I could probably rent my own parking space for $50 dollars a month, but as I told you before, my living situation with my mother is just temporary and it would be a waste of money to pay $50 for a whole month, when I will back in an apartment and back to riding the bus and train to work in no time at all. The people at the impound lot said, "Why not take the Greater Toronto Transit Authority (GO Transit) from where I live?" They said I could pick up the 6 am from as far away as Beaverton, connect to the train at the Whitby GO Station and be at the Union Station in downtown Toronto by 7:36 am. I told the gentlemen, I lived in Milborough and it takes 2 hours to get to Toronto driving without stops. The impound lot man said, “I thought Milborough was closer to Toronto than Burlington, where I live. I get on the Burlington GO station every day at 6:13 am and I make it to Union Station by 7:07 am.” Obviously the impound people don’t know that much about public transportation. When I was living on Devon Road in Toronto, I caught the 7 am bus to Glenn Ave, then hopped the train into the city, and I was at my desk by 8:45, every day. The idea that you could get to downtown Toronto faster from Burlington than where I used to live is just crazy.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    naapril, u will not b-lieve the assignment i got 2day in history. i hafta read the renaissance of the twelfth century by charles homer haskins. is there nethin’ more borin’ than medieval history, i mean aside frum ur bro’s story ‘bout havin’ 2 bribe a parking lot attendant 2 get a space?

    @least @lunch 2day, i didn’t hafta lissen 2 ne strange questions frum zenobia barnaby or zapata henderson. they were 2 bizzy tryin’ 2 comfort zandra larson ovah duncan anderson. both zandra & duncan seemed pretty sad, but eva abuya seemed rilly happ 2day. i sed, “yru so happ, eva?” she sed, “jeremy, a cowgirl iz happier wen she can rope a steer, insteada havin’ 2 sit in the grandstands & watch othah cowgirls who stink @ropin’.” i had no idea wut she wuz talkin’ ‘bout & i am not sure i wanna know.

    aftah that, i hadda convo w/vicki simone & gordie duroccher ‘bout wut they’re gonna do ovah march break. i think gordie is tryin’ 2 talk vickie n2 goin’ snowboardin’ w/hiz fam, but i dunno if vickie iz gonna go. doin’ sumthin’ w/ur bf’s fam makes a st8ment. it wud b kinda like if ur mom evah nvited gerald 2 do sumthin’ w/ur fam. it’s a sign of acceptance. gordie sed, “it’s just snowboarding”, but vickie sez, “no it’s not just snowboarding”. relationships r so complic8ed. i’m glad i am not in one.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I am sure Becky has told you all about Thorvald’s new girlfriend by now. She has suggested that we go skiing this weekend at the North York Ski Centre or the Centennial Park Snow Centre. I said, “Why do you want to go skiing?” Thorvald said, “There was skiing for fun and competition in the Icelandic Sagas. A good Viking can ski, Hoskuld. Besides, my sweetheart wants to make sure you can ski properly. If you can’t, it will cause problems later on.” I said, “Problems with what?” Thorvald said, “Your escape. Remember my sweetheart is responsible for getting Lincoln Burrows and Michael Scofield and 6 other convicts out of Fox River State Penitentiary. She is sure she can get you out, once you are put in prison, but her plan involves you skiing.” It seems a little silly to me, but skiing with Becky should be fun. Don’t expect any writing from me on Saturday until we get back, which could be very late. Becky may post from the ski trip, to let you know how it is going, if she feels so inclined.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, y wd u tell that chuck guy that liz has been sleeping in the rec room?

    apes

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    ooh, skiing! i haven't been skiing in yrs! have fun, howard an' becky.

    apes

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. Sorry for my error in communicating to Chuck. I should have said storage closet. However, I didn’t say Liz slept there. Even when you are sleeping in other people’s homes, Liz still sleeps in her rental room.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    I don't understand why you gave that man $50 for nothing, just the other day I asked to borrow $20 from you so I could go straight from school to get my haircut in case a special someone happened by on Valentine's Day and I would be ready, so I wouldn't have to stop at the bank and miss my haircut appointment, or be late to school, I promised to pay you back, but no, you said, "What do you think I am?!? Made of money?!! Our finances are tighter than ever!!! I have two small children to feed!!!", there were a lot of exclamation points, but here you give some stranger $50 for no reason at all, and here I am, I didn't get my haircut and my Prince Charming must of heard about it because he never came, and I spent Valentine's Day alone in my room with Shiimsa, crying, and I am probably going to have to be all alone for the rest of my life, I am almost 26 and I don't even have a fiance, that is OLD, soon I will be 30 and my chance to have a husband and kids will be all gone, I am so depressed, it's all because of YOU, Michael Patterson, and your mean rumors about me having bad breath which isn't true at all, I brush five times a day with mouthwash!!!!, you big jerk, I hate you, you're evil, it's all your fault that I'm going to die an old maid, or at least have to settle for a man who is not so charming, you are the most evil man alive, even including that Osama Been Lodden guy.

    Liz

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, no, u idiot, the rec room is not a storage closet. what i meant was: obviously he spoke 2 liz, not me. i m not trying 2 get random guys 2 marry me. i have a bf, remember? LIZ is the one who's trying 2 get a husband.

    and i haven't been sleeping in the stupid rec-room-not-storage-closet l8ly, i've been staying w/friends and @ gramps an' iris's. how did u not notice i haven't been home 4 more than a week? moron.

    apes

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    gotta agree abt mike being evil, liz. he can barely keep track of which one of us is which. i guess he's 2 bizzy making deposits @ that sperm bank 2 care, eh?

    apes

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth,

    Slightly older little sis. Mom has expressively forbidden me give any money to you, because you will just spend it on clothes or booze or sleeping pills. As for your brushing habits, I certainly commend any efforts you make to improve your Lizardly breath, however if you could start brushing with toothpaste instead of mouthwash, it might work better.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. For a little sis who claims she is not trying to get random guys to marry you, your behaviour when men come to visit the house tells a very different story. I think your sister would agree your shameless flirtation with every firefighter or policeman who visits for reasons of Liz’s trial or for my fire, are not the actions of a proper Patterson woman loyal to her boyfriend. Even dad, with his love of puns, is beginning to tire of firefighters being “hot”.

    As for not noticing when you disappear to sleep in other people’s homes, everyone is aware of it. The dogs start whining to be fed and walked and even the rabbit starts to make noises. You can almost hear them over Elizabeth’s almost nonstop crying at night. When my children ask mom about it, she simply says that job is on your “chore list” on the fridge and it may be time for April to learn another Mr. B lesson about what happens when she neglects her pets. I think my children are tempted to feed the animals themselves, but Deanna keeps the dog food carefully out of their reach, because my son has developed a taste for it, thanks to his auntie.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, fyi, i've come by every day 2 feed the animals and make sure the dogs get walked, even tho i haven't been sleeping there.

    an' if u were so aware of me not sleeping @ home, y did u make that remark 2 that chuck guy, as if i was the one who talked 2 him on the fone? u musta figured out liz was the one he talked 2. u did figure that out, rite? in case u didn't, i never talked 2 that chuck guy. liz did.

    apes

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    You are so horrible and mean, it is no wonder I can't get a husband, first of all, I brush with toothpaste AND use mouthwash 5 times a day, which is what I said before but you are too stupid to understand, anyway, I have good breath, I know because I keep asking the people at work and they always say it smells nice, then they say my brother sounds like a cruel and evil man, which you are!, and not only did your rumor-spreading about my breath hurt my chances with husbands but also how you are always telling horrible lies about how I am desperate and cry a lot, I don't, I just cry some, and anyway, it is justified, I am very depressed and with good reason, you make all my boyfriends disappear, like you said Paul's heart would wander and then it did, and I am sure you made some nasty crack about Warren even if I don't remember it, and it was your fault that Eric turned out to be a jerk because it was YOUR WEDDING when he didn't come with me because he couldn't, he had to visit his mom or something, and that made Mom think that Eric wasn't there for me when I needed him, well I only needed him that time because of YOUR STUPID WEDDING, if you had not got married then Mom would never of thought Eric was a jerk and when a Patterson family person thinks my boyfriend is a jerk or will have a wandering heart then he does!!!!!! This is all YOUR FAULT, Michael JERKFACE Patterson!!!! I am going to die old and alone and with no babies at all and it will be a terrible thing and Mom will moan and groan about how I am a old maid and April will tease me and you will make fun and I will probably have to kill myself by swallowing Clorox or something, I hear that is a good way, not like pills which are too unreliable, not that I would know, I just heard that somewhere, like from Candace probably, yeah that's it.

    Liz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home