April's Real Blog

Friday, February 09, 2007

"Pumped"?

IN case NE1 mighta been wondering, Mike had some more 2 say in a comment last nite:
April,

Little sis. Sometimes in a good conversation, when you get to a lull, you suddenly come to the realization that things have been happening you have been ignoring because of your involvement in the conversation. For example, when I was talking to our Grandpa Jim about my book, I hit such a lull and I suddenly realized Grandpa Jim’s hair was pushed back on his head almost behind his ears. I looked at his mouth and it appeared as though his dentures had been pushed back into his mouth so his lips were lolling over them. Yes, they were lolling during the lull. Even Iris was standing with her back to the wall as if she had been pushed away from our conversation by some force. Then I realized what had happened. I had been speaking so quickly and so enthusiastically, the sheer force of my verbal output had pushed back Grandpa Jim’s dentures and hair; and had pushed Iris to the wall. Of course, I immediately apologized.

I said, “Sorry, Grandpa—I’ve been talking way too fast! It’s just that I’m so…” Then my mind started to reach for a word like “excited” or “enthused”, but my Patterson heritage simply would not allow that. A pun must be made. If I have been creating an unusual airflow with the rapidity of my conversation, then obviously I must be “pumped", as in To propel, eject, or insert with or as if with a pump and that would have the secondary meaning of “pumped” as in Really excited. Two meanings = One great pun.

One of the little known problems with aphasia is apparently the inability to laugh with a sticky-out tongue at a great pun. All Grandpa Jim could manage was an “Uh!” So, I started to explain it to him. I said, “You know…pumped? Like, really excited?” I was about to launch into definition #2 to complete the map of the pun’s double-meaning, when Grandpa Jim put his hands forward palms first as if he was trying to push me away, or he was trying to show me his technique for doing a breast exam or he was trying to demonstrate another meaning of “pumped” like in Physics where it means To raise (atoms or molecules) to a higher energy level by exposing them to electromagnetic radiation at a resonant frequency. I sat there for awhile trying to interpret his hand motions and while I sat there I could feel my buttocks getting bigger from the lethargy. Actually it was only my left buttock. I hate when that happens after sitting someplace for a long time. It gives you a strange half-female / half-male look, until the swelling goes away. You don’t know humility, little sis, until you have had strangers on the street point at you and call you hermaphrodite. Fortunately, Iris intervened because she was able to understand what Grandpa Jim’s hand gestures meant. She said, “Yes, dear. I’ll get it for you.”

Then she picked a book with the words Picture Pallet (French words) and said, “He finds pictures useful when he can’t express himself.” That sentence struck me with fear, little sis. You are too young to remember this, but when I was young and I explored Grandpa Jim’s old workshop when he used to live with Grandma Marian, I found Grandpa Jim’s picture book which had French words on it. Needless to say, they were pictures I certainly did not want to look at with Iris and Grandpa Jim looking on.

I was greatly relieved to see the picture book was actually a book of pictures of household or other ordinary objects and not pictures of slutty French girls doing naughty things with baguettes and croissants. Iris handed Grandpa Jim the book and then stood behind his chair and grabbed his right arm as his fingers moved across the pictures in the book. I think Iris must have thought that by going behind the chair, I would not be aware of the fact she was moving Grandpa Jim’s pointing hand by keeping a controlling hand on his right arm. For a brief moment darkness fell on me, and I imagined a silhouette which bore a striking resemblance to Grandpa Jim with the extended chin, loose collar, and stray hairs on the front of his head. Only I knew the silhouette was actually me. I could see myself the same age as Grandpa Jim with Deanna standing behind me, supporting me, and she moved my arm to whatever picture she wanted me to say. “A horrible way to go,” I thought and I immediately felt pity for my grandpa. I faded back into reality and I heard Iris say, “What’s that, Jim? …He’s pointing to a car…and…a gas station!”

Little sis. Your brother is not stupid. I could tell Iris was going to interpret the car and the gas station as Grandpa Jim is running out of gas and needs a dinner fill-up, or some sort of environmental statement on how they take the bus everywhere, or just to tell me Grandpa Jim is a little gassy and I might want to cover my nose. But before Iris could even get to her particularly poor brand of humour, I decided to leap forward, grab Grandpa Jim by the shoulders and said, “Thanks Grandpa---I’m glad you’re pumped too!!” I could tell Iris was upset I had trumped her humourous statement, because her whole appearance suddenly darkened. It didn’t matter to me. Standing in front of me was a man who appreciated the fact I had managed to outpun his controlling wife. His radiant grin at me was all the affirmation I needed.

That’s almost all I have to say about my visit with Grandpa Jim and Iris; but I do have a little bit left I will save to tell you tomorrow.

Love,
Michael Patterson
Aw, d00dz, I was having so much more fun thinkin' of Gramps cursing Mike out than B-ing all happy 4 him. Weren't U?

Apes

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Zapata, ready for our lunch conversation with Jeremy?

    Zenobia

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, I'm ready. In fact, someone with less command for the English language might even say I'm "pumped."

    Zapata

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad you don't have a lesser command for the English language.

    Zenobia

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So am I, Zen.

    Zapata

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger duncan anderson said…

    Apes, I think Ive got a rilly rilly cube idea 4 a VD gift 4 Zed.

    The band cld use a horn player, so Im getting Zed a sax from a pawn shop & setting up sum lessons 4 her. If she goes 2 U of T next year she can still come back 4 r gigs. Im so pumped I got this gr8 idea w/o ne help from ne1.

    MCDunC

    p.s. Im skipping skool 2day 2 go 2 TO 2 get the horn, if ne1 says nething tell them Ive got a hedache but Ill b @ karaoke 2nite.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April Dear,

    To continue with the story of your brother visiting…

    After I explained the concept of Aphasia to Michael, he started treating Jim a little better – less like one of his young children, and more like the adult Jim is. I was happy to see this. I understand your brother hasn’t spent any time with Jim since his stroke and therefore might not understand how seriously it has affected him, but I’m sorry to say I expected a little more from a published author whose wife is in the health care industry.

    What you didn’t see was that after Michael left, Jim continued to use the picture book to help share his thoughts with me. First he pointed to the picture of the man, and then he pointed to a picture of an elephant. I thought Jim was trying to say that Michael has a long memory (elephants never forget), and that didn’t make much sense to me. Jim shook his head, and again pointed to the man, and to the elephant. I had to think about it a little more. I then postulated Jim was trying to remark on what a big success Michael was, what with his book being published. But Jim again shook his head. He thought about it a little bit more, and then pointed to the man followed by some hard pointing at the elephant’s posterior.

    It was then I understood what your grandfather was trying to say, and we had a good laugh. You see, Jim and I have a private joke about the unfortunate genetics of Patterson posteriors. Jim has a rather nice behind, but it seems Elly inherited Marion’s behind. Elly then married John, who has the unfortunate Patterson behind. While it seemed for awhile that Michael may have inherited the Richards behind (which is nicely shaped), as he as gotten older he has very much developed the Patterson behind, just like Liz. It’s a shame, really. Michael used to be such a handsome, in-shape young man. But I suppose it’s hard to escape genetics. It was very obvious just how much Michael has developed the Patterson posterior when he was visiting this week, especially when he was sitting on the ottoman.

    Never fear, dear. Jim and I both agree you are definitely a Richards in every single possible good way, including your behind. As long as you eat right and exercise regularly, you’ll maintain a good shape.

    I am concerned to hear you are staying with friends. I understand your home life isn’t ideal right now, and I can’t say I blame you. However, please know you have an open invitation to stay with us any time you wish, for as long as you like.

    I’m looking forward to seeing you this weekend and checking out the “cube” clothes you bought this week. Who knows, maybe the “clothes fairy” will put another surprise in your jeans pocket over the weekend! Also, I was hoping you wouldn’t mind showing us how to use our new TiVO. We just upgraded our cable system to digital, including all the movie channels. This was a logical choice since we spend so much time indoors these days. Now we can watch and record as many movies as we like! Jim is very excited about this.

    Much love and kisses,
    Iris

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you're happy and you know it
    Clap your hands!
    If you're happy and you know it
    Clap your hands!
    If you're happy and you know it
    Then your face will surely show it
    If you're happy and you know it
    Clap your hands!

    I love mornings! And bunnies! And the birds in the trees!

    And everybody loves me! Because I'm a Patterson!

    Liz

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    i stopped by the house after school 2 pack up sum clothes 4 the weekend and also change in2 the outfit that becky and vicki helped me pick out earlier this week. now i'm @ gramps an' iris's and will prolly stay 4 the weekend.

    when i was packing up my clothes, i m pretty sure i heard liz singing "the hokey pokey."

    dunc, rite after school i saw zandra lookin' kinda upset. i'm not sure if this was rel8ed 2 that "horn" idea of yrs or not.

    neway, i think iris needs sum help w/dinner. will check back in a bit l8r.

    apes

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, az u know, i hadda pretty odd convo @lunch 2day. i wuz sittin’ @lunch mindin’ my own bizness wen zapata henderson & zenobia barnaby & zandra larson sat down b-side me. i sed 2 zandra, “i thot u normally had lunch w/duncan so u cud guard him frum eva abuya.” zenobia sed, “duncan anderson decided 2 skip skool 2day cuz he haz a headache.” zapata sed, “but wen zandra called him @home 2c how he wuz, he didn’t answer.” zandra sed, “he’z prolly doin’ sumthin’ rel8ed 2 his musick. wen he duz musick stuff, he 4gets all ‘bout things like skool & b-ing on tyme & havin’ a gf.”

    zapata sed, "a musician bf haz its plusses & minuses. they’re cool, but there’s always sum groupie who wunts 2b pumped by a musician, particularly 1 who looks good in a kilt.” zenobia sed, “again w/the kilts.” zapata sed, “i like kilts. if a guy sits down or bends ovah in a kilt, a girl can get a good view of the pumpin’ equipment.” zandra sed, “there’s no mistakin’ it 4 the seam in the back of sum1’s pants, thass 4 sure.” zapata sed, “i remembah wen we hadda clean up the park across frum the city hall last year & duncan came by 2 help & he wuz wearin’ his smelly kilt. i got rilly jealous of zandra that day. my bf, eldritch iz not az well equipped 4 pumpin’, but he makes up 4 it in othah ways” zandra sed, “thass not the only thing duncan iz good 4.” zenobia sed, “a well-equipped pumping station can make up 4 a lotta othah bad. my bf can’t xxpress himself @all. he’z practically like sum1 w/aphasia. but wen we’re in the car 2gethah & he points to the pumps @a gas station, i know we’re gonna have a gr8 nite.” zapata sed, “he knows all ‘bout fillin’ ur tank.” zenobia sed, “i bet w/duncan u hafta worry ‘bout overflow.” zandra sed, “i can handle duncan.” zapata sed, “lissen 2 her.” zenobia sed, “i bet he tops her off.”

    i sed, “wut ru talkin’ ‘bout?” zapata sed, “sorry, jeremy-we’ve been talking way 2 fast! it just we’re so pumped!” & then zapata, zenobia & zandra laffed. i sed, “u mean like, really excited?” zapata, zenobia & zandra laffed again. zenobia sed, “yes. unless sum1 iz really excited, there’s no pumpin’.” i sed, “am i pumped like u3r?” zapata sed, “u cud b. depends on what kinda guy u r.” zenobia sed, “i’ve been ‘round jeremy enuff 2 know he is not pumped. he looks 2 old. old-lookin’ guys in mboro r not pumped. they r pumpers only.” i sed, “shud i b pumped?” zandra sed, “trust me, jeremy. we’re rilly glad ur not pumped.”

    april, that wuz ‘bout the tyme u sat down & sed, “wut r u guyz laffin’ ‘bout?” zapata sed, “bfs who r musicians & their equipment.” then u sed, “i know all ‘bout that. my bf, gerald, iz a musician.” zenobia winked @zapata & zandra & sed, “duz he let u play w/his equipment?” then u sed, “yes. gerald's teaching me 2 play his drums, but i don’t play them az well az he duz. drummers can get so n2 the rhythms they're playing. it all happens in their unconscious minds. gerald duzn’t hafta think ‘bout it 2 play hiz rhythm instruments. it just comes outa him. it's amazing. if i keep practicin’ on gerald’s equipment, sumday i mite b az good az he is.” then zenobia, zandra, & zapata burst out laffin’, w/evn sticky-out tongues. then u sed, “wut’s so funny?” & zandra leaned ovah & whispered sumthin’ 2u & u sed, “thass not wut i meant!! i mean real drums!!” zenobia sed, “don’t be such a patterson. it wuz only a joke. we saw thoze posters gerald put up ‘bout ur 16th birthday. nobody here thinks u have evah played w/ur bf’s equipment.” then u sed, “i have 2!! no w8. ur rite. we have taken baths 2gethah tho.” zapata sed, “u have?” then u sed, “we were in bathin’ suits.” zenobia sed, “that figgers. duzn’t count. but thass more than i xxpected.”

    then it wuz tyme 2 go back 2 class & that ended the convo. i am not sure wut the convo wuz ‘bout, but @least i know if i am not pumped, it’s a good thing.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I’m glad you’re visiting with Iris and your Grandpa Jim. I go to see them as often as I can, and Iris really appreciates the break from having to heave Grandpa Jim around. I know she blames her physical exhaustion on the days being short, dark and cold; but I know it’s really because she’s 80 years old and she’s doing a lot more than most 80-year-old women can handle by themselves. I worry about her and your grandpa a lot, particularly after your sister puts me in prison whenever my trial is un-remanded. When I asked my lawyer, Mr. Benis, about it, he said the current word is, “The hokey pokey is what it’s all about. Not my trial.” I have gotten to the point, where I have stopped asking my lawyer to explain those kinds of things. I think he is is delighted about the possibility of being the defence counsel at what could become the record-holder for Canada’s longest-running sexual assault trial.

    I know you were delighted when your grandfather’s aphasia made it seem like he was cursing your brother, but frankly I am happy to see your brother finally show an interest in your grandfather, even if it took literary success to get him to do it. I don’t know what it is with the men in your family and their inability to reach out to each other. It took your grandfather’s stroke to get your Uncle Phil to leave Montreal to visit him for the first time in years. I am sure, in the case of your brother, if he didn’t have a need to personally inform everyone about how well he is doing with his book, then he also would not have visited. My hope is that now your Uncle Phil and your brother have visited your grandfather, they will feel inspired to spend more time with him, and help out Iris. I mean no offence to your abilities, but your brother and your uncle are stronger than you are, and your Grandpa Jim is not light; and I would rather their backs go out hauling your grandfather around than yours or Iris’.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    jeremy, yeah, it's a v. good thing u r not "pumped" in the way zenobia, zapata, and zandra were talking abt @ lunch.

    howard, i guess u r rite that it wd b nice if unk phil and mike continued 2 show an interest in gramps. but i don't think it's likely. i dunno y the men in my fam r like that, but they r.

    apes

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    Miigwetch (thank you) for tell me your ngashi (mother) had changed her website descriptions about me and my girlfriend Susan Dokis (whom I call Chipper) and giving me a chance to respond. Chipper’s description is mostly right except for the house. Chipper lives in the teacherage, an apartment which comes with her job and not a house. Your sister used to refer to it as her apartment or a nokomis (granny) pad, even though it is part of the principal's residence.

    My description has some errors too. I am no longer a provincial police officer for the Otter County detachment. My detachment is in Spruce Narrows, the closest town to Mtigwaki (Land of Trees). The description says your sister and I were together “until Elizabeth moved home to Milborough after the 2005-2006 school year.” When I drove your sister home after that school year, I did not think we had stopped being together. After all, we had a very nice weekend together back in October. I know now differently. I think in her heart, your sister ended our relationship when she made the decision to leave Mtigwaki (Land of Trees) in early May, last year and would not sign her contract for the 2006-2007 school year. It is interesting your ngashi (mother) also says this. I have always thought your ngashi (mother) was a wise woman, and this writing shows me she knows the heart of your sister very well.

    This writing is more accurate than the one after it, which says:

    Liz believed that Paul was pursuing a transfer to the Toronto area. In reality he had been transferred to Spruce Narrows, near Mtigwaki, and had begun dating Liz's replacement, Susan. His relationship with Liz ended in January of 2007.

    This writing makes it sound like I transferred right after your sister moved. As you know, I found out about my transfer in December and moved in January. I know your ngashi (mother) probably only knows what your sister told her, so I am not surprised she said my transfer request for Toronto was not reality. It is reality and I have been having a hard time getting it cancelled, just like I couldn’t get my transfer to Spruce Narrows cancelled, when I put in my transfer to Toronto. It seems strange to me the Ontario Provincial Police is not organized well enough to cancel transfer requests. I worry I may get a letter saying my transfer to Toronto is approved and I will have to move there. I think I can get it cancelled before that happens. Chipper says she would like to move closer to her family in North Bay, so if I have to move to Toronto, she will move with me. She thinks it would be very ironic if we both ended up living in Toronto. I like being with a woman who plans for our future with me and has a good sense of humour. It makes me wiikwa'ibiihe (pumped).

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    paul, thanx 4 writing in. u wd not believe how annoying mom was abt the changes she wanted 2 make. 1st she got me 2 print out the page 4 u an' the 1 4 susan. then, she sprawled out on the chesterfield with the printed pages and a notepad 2 lean them on.

    so she handwrote all her changes, then she got an envelope an' mailed them 2 steph the web designer, who hadta decipher mom's writing 2 make the changez. so that of course meant steph had 2 call mom 2 get her 2 xxplain sum stuff, and u saw how it came out.

    i think the stuff abt u an' liz being 2gether until liz left mtig was supposta b, like, physically 2gether? or @ least sorta living close 2 ea other?

    but who knowz w/my mom.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home