April's Real Blog

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mike an' V-Day Shopping

Mike has gone V-Day shopping an' he wrote a post abt the xxperience:
April,

Little sis. I have some advice for you, which will serve you well for years to come, if you can follow it: Don’t trust the French. I was reminded of this good advice recently when I, myself, failed to follow it. I will tell you what happened.

I had been busying myself writing press releases to publicize my news of getting someone to publish my book. I think I had gotten up to the Chinese Free Press, when mom came into the room and said, “Michael, dear. Valentine’s Day is coming up. Don’t you think you should be out buying something for the one you love?” My initial thought was “But I already got a contract to publish my book. What more do I need?” Then I realized mom must have been talking about Deanna. She said, “After all, Michael. You did forget Valentine’s Day last year.” This was true. Actually, anyone who has carefully observed my Valentine’s Day buying habits would realize I have never bought anything for Deanna. I remember back to the first February of my married life, when my lovely wife, the pharmacist announced that due to mishandling her birth control pills, she was pregnant with our daughter and my plans to go into business freelancing with Josef Weeder were ended before they even got started. I have always assumed the gift I gave Deanna that February would keep me out of candy stores and flower shoppes for the rest of my life. But as I looked at mom, standing in the room practically dancing at the prospect of a Valentine’s Day present, I realized she was right. My book contract spells a new era in my life, an era where I can forgive the past and spend money on an otherwise useless holiday. I told mom I would go Valentine’s Day shopping and she started leaping up and down for joy.

I walked to downtown Milborough, and I saw a shoppe there called La Petite Boutique. The awning and the interiour reminded me a lot of a boutique I saw one time when I was in North Bay called From the Heart Flower Boutique. In the display window was an interesting array of heart-decorated mirrors, Gypsy bustiers, tables, tea pots, toy trains, mime dolls, stuffed farmer bears, pendants, and boxed candy. I was entranced and I completely forgot the advice Anthony Caine had so solemnly given me about the French, and walked into the boutique.

Inside was an even more eclectic mix of objects. Valentine’s Day hand towels mounted into the wall next to the door, a champagne glass with heart-shaped swizzle sticks, a stuffed bear in red and white stripes, and a table cloth design which virtually guaranteed it would only be used with a small, round table due to its placement of heart shapes around the edge of the table. I also marveled at the round shape to the window on the front door, which had to be an extremely inefficient design for someone trying to observe people coming in their shoppe.

Inside the shoppe was a woman in a pull-over sweater, sitting in and amongst the array of Valentine’s Day items, arranging a single flower in a vase (which in retrospect should have given me the clue she was French, even though she didn’t speak it). She said, “May I help you, sir?” My plan was to spend as little time in the store as possible, buy my one item, and then leave. So, I foolishly thought if I mentioned this to the lady running the boutique, she would find me a gift for Deanna, and then get it for me and I would be on my way. So, I said, “Yes…I’d like to get a Valentine’s Day Gift for my wife.”

I was quite surprised when she didn’t immediately hand me a gift, but instead said, “What about your mother!?” The fact she used the exclamation point first before the question mark, made me wonder if her sentence was statement and not a question. I thought, “Question or statement, it doesn’t matter. What mattered was she wants me to get a Valentine’s Day gift for mom. I considered it. After all, if Deanna got a Valentine’s Day gift, but dad neglected to get one for mom (as he has come close to doing on many occasions), then the jealousy between mom and Deanna in close quarters would be too much to bear. So I responded, “Yeah, right…We’re living with my mom right now…and I have two sisters!”

I know the reference to two sisters probably confuses you. I thought of getting you both something, so you would not feel left out, if your boyfriend Gerald paid you as much attention as I have observed you lately getting, and you got nothing; while Deanna and mom got something. But then I reasoned, if I got Elizabeth something in her current mental (lack of a boyfriend) state, she could easily snap and attempt suicide from death by chocolate or the sharp edge of a candy box. On the other hand, I couldn’t leave her out for fear of you two continuing your vicious sister rivalry, so I decided to include you both.

But then I remembered how my daughter has started imitating Elizabeth and saying things like, “With no love from any boyfriend, all a woman can do is wait for her Prince Charming to come and shower her with puns and music.” I couldn’t give Elizabeth something and leave my daughter out. That would give her the wrong impression of love.
So I said, “Oh…and a young daughter.”

The saleslady went black and grabbed the flower vase at such angle to my body the message could not be clearer. The flower vase symbolized exactly how she had her grip on my…I mean a grip on me. She said, “You’re looking for five gifts!”

With her grip on the vase as it was, I knew I had to make my list longer, just to show her it was longer than a mere 5 gifts. So I said, “That means I’d be leaving out my son and my father.” This would mean 7 gifts, which is much more impressive. I think the average is 6 ½ gifts, so I was slightly above average in my gift length.

But the French woman was still not satisfied. Clearly the size of the gift list mattered to her more than the quality or technique of the gift list, and she suggested, “And your wife’s parents?” The prospect of giving Valentine’s Day presents to Mira and Wilf Sobinski was sheer torture. However, seeing her arrange and manipulate the 9 tiny, pink, heart-decorated gift packages so that they formed a long line of pinkness with a head formed from making a second row for 2 of the bags; I was strangely moved. Then she suggested, “You’ll need gift tags with these!” I said, “Really?” I looked at the bags and they seemed unprotected. I was uncertain, until the saleslady leaned forward and part of her anatomy was dangling perilously close to my gift bags so I agreed to the protection by saying, “Um…OK.”

Then the saleslady placed the gift tags on the gift bags and put the gift bags into larger plain white gift bags so no one could tell they concealed the 9 pink gift bags. I paid for the purchase and she handed them to me. As I left she said, “Happy Valentine’s Day!” It didn’t feel like Valentine’s Day to me, since I don’t give anything for that day. It felt more like Christmas, since that is the holiday where I actually give gifts. Technically, Deanna gets them; but you know what I mean.

I had been completely duped by the French. If only I had not gone in that store, I might have found something some other place, where the saleslady doesn’t grip a long vase in front of you or manipulate your packages to bend you to her will.

Remember, little sis: Don’t trust the French.

Love,
Michael Patterson
Mike, I know U like 2 blame 2 French 4 stuff, but I think mayB U needta look closer 2 home 4 this one. U mentioned how Mom was all bouncy an' happy abt V-Day, eh? Well, I did happen 2 overhear her talkin' 2 Connie earlier this week, sayin' that when she'd been helping Moira @ Lilliput's recently, she'd popped in2 La Petite Boutique, and she didn't wanna go in2 deets, but she had a feeling she laid the groundwork 4 a v. nice V-Day, w/"Michael B-ing especially thotful this year!" I'll let U decide, tho.

Apes

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. The idea that our mother would consort with the French to provide not only Deanna with a Valentine's Day gift but Mira Sobinski too, seems inconceivable to me. It is simply not possible, and I think when I got home from La Petite Boutique and everyone was rifling through their Valentine's Day presents (I think I should have hidden them some place other than the storage closet where you sleep), it was pretty clear from mother's screaming and shrieking over the 2 for Mira and Wilf Sobinski, she definitely did not approve of them. I wasn't sure what her outdoor parking space for her Crevasse, her cooking and cleaning, and how it was Valentine's Day and not Christmas, had to do with it; but I felt it was a much better idea for me to wait to ask that question after she had calmed down.

    In the meantime, I enjoyed hiding under the bed with my children. I think it was a real bonding experience when my daughter said, "Did Grandma Elly scream when you were little, daddy?" I responded, "Yes. And she was louder and did it more often." My son patted my head and said, "Poor daddy." It was great moment. I'll have to remember to get Mira and Wilf, Valentine's Day presents again next year.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i gotta admit the lady who runs la petite boutique is pretty pursuasive. i went in there w/mom, so she cud buy sumthin' 4 vd 4 her fiance, my future dad, & she almost got mom 2 buy sumthin' 4 her ex, my birth dad. just 2 let u know, the same kinda flowers which r bein' delivered 2u on vd by la petite boutique frum me r also goin' 2 rebecca, eva abuya, zandra larson, zenobia barnaby, & zapata henderson. the lady who runz that place iz rilly good. mom sez i am a pushover tho & i wud b perfect husband material 4 ur sister, so i bettah b careful. wen the flowers come, please don't let ur sister get ne ideaz 'bout me.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I did not have a similar experience in La Petite Boutique as Jeremy and your brother Michael, because (a) the stuff in there is so tacky and (b) the saleslady / owner's persuasive powers appear to not have an effect on men with good taste and a fashion sense (i.e. wearing a figure-hugging dress). I did see her work her magic on a number of male customers who ended up buying Valentine's Day gift for their great Aunt Petunia's and the like.

    I special-ordered my gift for Becky weeks ago because I thought I was going to be in prison by now. Little did I suspect that my trial would be remanded for month after month. The advantage of being home though, is I have plans to cook an intimate Valentine's Day dinner specifically intended to bring Becky's taste buds to a glorious orgasm (multiple, of course). It is a school night though, so I expect we won't get to stay up late. I think Becky's usual post-dinner routine of school work, music rehearsal, my bathing her in scented oils, and then my giving her a full body massage to send her into sleep will continue as usual---the same kind of things I did for you when you came over to visit a few nights ago. Just to let you know, Becky actually thought your proposal of marriage was serious, but I told her you were just joking.

    Becky's 16th birthday is coming up and I have thoughts of a Sweet 16 party for her with many local personalities and quite a few celebrities, but once again my plans are stymied by a lack of knowledge as far as my trial, the verdict, and the sentencing go. Her mother says she can handle it, but frankly, I don't think a Sweet 16 party should include male strippers. I know mine did when I turned 16, but there were things which happened during that party I would rather not repeat. Police arriving for one thing. I would prefer Becky's Sweet 16 party to be classy, which unfortunately means I would have to find ways around inviting most of her relatives. What plans do you have for your 16th birthday?

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, y can't u ever just BELIEVE ME? y is yr automatic response ALWAYS 2 NOT believe me?

    and the rec room is NOT a storage closet, even if u insist on storing thingz there. and btw, i haven't been sleeping there l8ly, not that u care. i slept @ becky's place one nite, @ dunc's another, and the past 2 nites @ gramps an' iris's place. i'm not gonna b back 2nite, either.

    i don't know if i'll ever come back.

    jeremy, i will try 2 keep all that in mind when the flowers arrive. tho i mite not b around when they do.

    apes

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    howard, i m not sure yet what i'll do 4 my sweet 16. since sweet 16 is a special b-day, i hope i won't do sumthing ordinary like movie an' pizza, but often these things seem 2 b out of my hands.

    i hope u will b around 4 becky's sweet 16.

    apes

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    btw, mike, mrs. mccormack, the saleslady @ that store, is not even french.

    apes

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    I am furious with our brother, he has been even more annoying than ever, guess what he did? You know that La Petite Boutique, well, I kind of know that lady who works there, the Frenchy one, not because I want to but she is Shawna-Marie's cousin, anyway, I went in there to get Anthony a little gift for being such a good friend, you know, a two-pound chocolate truffle heart wrapped in red satin and lace that says "Be Mine," the standard friend present, anyway, I heard Shawna-Marie's cousin bragging that she had outwitted a Patterson, and I turned around and said, "That's nonpossible, nobody can outwit one of us!" and the cousin laughed and said, "Oh yeah?, well, your dumb brother came in here looking to buy some cheap $2 gift bag of sugar-free chocolates for his wife and when I showed some surprise at this, he told me, "She's starting to develop the unfortunate 'Patterson ass' like my mom and sisters, she really doesn't need anything more," and so guess what, that's what our super-great, oh-so-expensive presents are--just $2 of no-sugar chocolate, that's why Mike's been whining about his advance check "going down the drain," he spent $18 on sugar-free chocolate, that bastard, and it's unfair too, I lost 10 pounds a few days ago...you know how.

    Liz

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    yeah, mike doesn't know what he's talkin' abt. i've been kickboxing and doing pilates and lifting w8s and doing interval training and speedwalking, and my butt's gotten small an' cute. otoh, i'd rather our st00pid bro didn't pay attention 2 the shape of my butt @ all, eh? ger seems 2 like it, tho!

    apes

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. A contract for a book is an amazing thing. Not only is it amazing because it means I have a publisher for my book, but it is also amazing how sometimes it seems like it is several pages long and on loose, bendable paper and other times, it seems like it is one page long on heavy card stock. One of those heavy card stock days occurred recently, when I went to visit my closest friend, Josef Weeder. Many people told me I should hire a lawyer to check out my contract (its contents, and not the strangely changing quality of the paper it is on), but I decided the best thing to do would be to take advantage of my friendship with Weed and get him to check out the contract for free. Weed didn’t have any problem with the idea. He said, “I’ll get our intellectual property guy to check out this contract, Mike---but it looks pretty good to me.” I think Weed was saying it looked pretty good because the contract was in a card stock mood at that time, and I have admit it looked pretty good to me too. I said, “Thanks, Weed” just to show those persons who think a Patterson never says “Thank you.”

    Then it suddenly got dark. Milborough experiences a lot of blackouts. In the blackness, Weed gave the contract back to me with his right hand and touched me with his left hand. Being touched by Weed suddenly made my left hand extend outward like I only had two very long fingers and a thumb. Before I could turn my attention to this sudden change in my appendage, then Weed said, “So, you’ve done it! You’re an author! How does it feel?” At first I responded, “Tight, man.” But then I thought, he may be talking about my being an author, so I said, “The advance won’t come until next month. And in the meantime, I’ve got bills to pay, get my freelance done, commute 2 hours to work an’ live in chaos at my folks’ place.”

    Little sis. I know you might find that last statement a little confusing. After all, didn’t I just write in my January monthly letter that I had an hour and a half commute to my place of toil? Well, little sis, that’s what I thought it was back in January. In February, I have learned to add in an extra 30 minutes to accommodate how long it take for mom to say goodbye to me as I leave for work. I don’t know how everyone else manages to leave for work so much faster than I do. The second thing you may question is the bills, since we are living at home. Even though my $25,000 advance won’t come until next month, this doesn’t mean that our rent in the house has stayed the same. Mom is anticipating the need for more long distance phone calls, and has increased our rent to cover the addition. That is very wise of her, but it does mean I cannot relax when it comes for bill-paying time.

    My news didn’t seem to phase Weed. He said, “Mike! Stop and enjoy the moment! You gotta celebrate, man! This calls for a party!!!” He looked at me and stuck his hands out as if he wanted to give me a breast examination. But then he completely fooled me and instead of putting his hands on my breasts, he put his hands around his mouth and he called, “PARTY!” in a voice so loud I swear it felt like the front of my hair line popped off my head.

    That’s it for now, little sis. As for what happened next, I will have to leave your readers in anticipation. Did people actually come to Weed for a party on command, or did he just yell the word for effect? You’ll find out tomorrow.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now is the time we make PARTY!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home