April's Real Blog

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ew, it's NED

So that plumber guy who was at Mike and Dee's? Loox like he wrote abt his visit in "PlumberGoss", a website where plumbers post stuff abt their clients:
Whoo, m'friends, ya won't be believin' this one. I got a late-night call to one of them firetrap heritage homes in that NotRosedaleNotBeaches part of NotDowntown Toronto. After removin' the commode and water-connection parts to yank out a couple of stinkin' socks, I had to go down to the apartment below to remove somethin' else that was cloggin' things up, yessirree. This was, of course, after the adult male tenant (usin' all but "tenant" loosely there, friends) snatched the baggie containin' the foul socks and instead of disposin' of them, saying "My lucky socks! They're saved! You have to wash these, woman!" And you should have seen the look on that lass's face. Boy, if looks could kill, this guy would have been dead six times over. But then she just heaved a huge sigh, took the baggie by a teeny tiny corner, held it way away from her body, and muttered, "Okay." And put it away somewheres.

So, them downstairs neighbours. Hooboy. Man looked like some missin' link, like you see on those borin' CBC documentaries sometimes, when there ain't no hockey playin' anywheres. They went and banged on the landlady's door while I was workin' in their place. Fulla war memoribilia and scented candles, that cave was, let me tell you. The landlady's place is in the adjoining house, and since the walls are paper thin and everyone was talkin' real loud, I could hear it all. I heard the lady, who was skinny and all pointy, with a carrot-shaped nose, tellin' the landlady, "Look Mrs. Saltzman. The kids upstairs have clogged our plumbing, so it's our right to complain about it!" Then the missin' link guy, he said, "Right now, some guy is bustin' a hole in our bathroom wall. It's an invasion of privacy!" Landlady told them, "So, take a walk. The work must be done." Man said, "We should pay less, for putting up with this!" And the landlady snapped, "I should charge you more for putting up with you!!"

While that was going on, I found what were causin' the clog. An ugly rubber mandoll, with manbits an' everything, lodged in a pipe. I pulled that thing out (Thank Jebus I had my thick rubber gloves on, I mean, yuck!), and then I yelled through the adjoining door, "Folks! I've discovered what was clogging up your sewer system! --Anyone recognize this?!" I held up that THING, and the "man" from the upstairs apartment, who had followed behind the downstairs tenants, shouted out, "It's ... NED!!!" Then. Oh, my God, people, you have to be sittin', alrighty? And if you been eatin' lately, don't read the rest of my story until you done well digested. This manboy, he grabbed the crusty sewer doll, who'd been in the feces place for Dogg knows how long, and said, "NED! How I've missed you old pal! I'm so sorry Weed gave you to Carleen! I'm so sorry my daughter flushed you! I never thought I'd see you again!!!" And then he KISSED the thing! Over and over. I nearly lost my dinner right there on the hall floor, people. Nearly lost it. I swear, in all my years of being a plumber, I thought I'd seen everything. I know you know what I mean. But this takes the cake, eh?
So, yeah. Ned. Yuck. I have a v. bad feeling this st00pid story will continue here next week. Sorry, Zeremy, you know there's a force that guides me to write abt certain things. I'll try not 2 make it way boring if I can help it, eh?

Apes

3 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. While I was a little disappointed you didn’t get an e-mail from my daughter this time, it made sense. We were having to deal with the Kelpfroths, and we try to avoid exposing our children to them if at all possible. I was a little surprised Melville Kelpfroth had shaved off his hair and replaced everything with hair plugs, but I guess nothing should surprise me about Melville anymore. There is no telling what a man like him could be thinking. Fortunately for me, Lovey came to our rescue as usual and put the Kelpfroths in their place. I tried to stay out of the way and kept my back to the brick wall as much as possible, in case I needed to make an escape, if the Kelpfroths turned violent and attacked Lovey.

    But then sweet mother of mercy, my Ned Tanner was found and rescued by the plumber. I kissed him over and over. My sweet Ned that is. I have missed him so much for the last 2 years. I suddenly realized that back when we used to live where the Kelpfroths live now was when my daughter must have flushed him away. I never knew where he went. I looked and looked. When I couldn’t find him, I rent my clothes, fasted and sat in sackcloth and ashes. Still Ned did not appear. The loss of Ned was the beginning of our bad luck in these apartments. I am sure of it. After all, after Ned disappeared is when the Kelpfroths appeared.

    In one day, I get my lucky socks back and I get Ned Tanner back. My luck has turned, little sis. I was so happy that after kissing Ned so many times, I must admit I kissed the plumber who found him. He looked a little ill after that. Maybe I should have washed Ned off first, but when it comes to Ned, why wait on ceremony or hygiene? I think this must be the best day of my life. Let me think:

    1. The day I met Weed
    2. The day I moved in with Weed
    3. The day I met Deanna
    4. The day I became engaged to Deanna
    5. The day I fake married Deanna
    6. The day I really married Deanna
    7. The day one of my children was born

    I think we have a new winner here. The day I got my lucky socks and Ned Tanner back. Whoo hoo!

    Wait! I need to call Mrs. Dingle. If Ned reappeared, then this must be a sign she is in cardiac arrest someplace. I think I still have her number memorized from my university days. If she doesn’t answer, it will be time to call 911 on her.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, April! Your father's December letter reminded me of something that happened recently. With my engagement, I really wanted to have my teeth professionally whitened. You know, so I'd look extra nice for my first holidays as an engaged woman. So, Becky highly recommended Everett Callahan, since he does a great job and he's also hott.

    When I called to make an appointment, your father's receptionist, Jean, told me that Dr. Callahan was booked solid for weeks, but that she could get me in with your father that afternoon.

    So I went in. Your father made a weird comment about how if I were fifteen years older and ten pounds skinnier, I'd be a perfect pin-up girl. Then he tried to make a pun based on my last name. Like "Mahahahahaha, oh, Gosh, do you crack me up!" I would have walked out, but I really wanted the nice white teeth. While he was polishing my teeth, he kept asking me questions.

    "So, Ms. Ma-laugh-laugh, are you whitening your teeth for a special occasion?"

    I had a hard time speaking, of course, but I told him that my boyfriend, the pilot Warren Blackwood, had asked me to marry him and I'd accepted.

    Your dad said, "Oh, so you're going to a model-train show? That's great! It's not that often I meet a lovely young woman who appreciates model trains!"

    I told him that this wasn't what I said. Or at least I tried!

    "Oh, you want to know how it is I can understand what you're saying when you're mumbling like that! Years of practice! So, you look familiar! I think I've seen you recently, but I can't place you!"

    I told him about Warren's testimony where he announced my engagement.

    "Oh, of course! You were one of the kind women in the grocery store who gave me advice on what to buy for a holiday meal!"

    I tried to correct him.

    "It's great how I can rely on the kindness of grocery-store strangers. Mind you, if I were years younger and single, I would have flirted with you right in the produce section! Or maybe meats."

    After a while I just stopped trying to talk. It's amazing that your dad only just realized that he might be misunderstanding his patients when they try to talk during dental procedures! How many years has he been in practice, anyway?

    Marjee

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    marjee, my dad's been a dentist 4 more than 30 yrs. yeah, he shd totally have thot of that b4, eh?

    mike, u r happier abt ned than u were abt meeting or marrying dee, or yr kids being born? omg. sad.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home