April's Real Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mike quits and tells Dee after

Mike quit his job and wrote a post 2 tell abt it:
April,

Little sis. I know it may astonish you to hear this, but even a Patterson can be afflicted with self-doubt. When I was typing up my resignation letter and when I handed it in, I had a song running through my head which went like this:

I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh just like Mike
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be large just like Mike.


But as I was leaving the Portrait Magazine parking lot, a different song popped in my head, which went like this:

Soy un perdedor
I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me?


With this song in my head, I exited the parking lot thinking to myself, “I can’t believe what just happened…” Little sis, this is because it was as if I had not actually typed up the resignation letter and handed it in. It was like one moment I was talking to Francine and the next I was in my car leaving and I realized that in between those moments all these interesting things had happened to me, which would make a great story if only someone was there to write it down and tell it. In any case, as if to remind myself what I had just done, in case I had forgotten it, I thought, “I typed up my resignation as chief editor of Portrait Magazine…and I handed it in.”

I know what you’re thinking, little sis. “My brother was not the chief editor of Portrait Magazine. He was the senior editor.” This is true, little sis. But sometimes when you write resignation letters and you put the wrong job on the form, the person who accepts the resignation thinks that person in the position is leaving, but doesn’t check the actual signature very carefully. If I go to work tomorrow, and find Barry, the real editor-in-chief is gone, then I will know my plan was a success. The other possibility is that I could claim it was all a joke, since I didn’t put down the right position. I think deep down inside, I knew that idea would never work.

I thought, “I’m giving up my full-time job---at a time when we need it the most!!” And then as I pulled into the driveway of mom’s house, I thought of the reasons why we needed it the most. It took the whole 2 hours of driving from Portrait Magazine to Milborough to think of it, but Michael Patterson is not a man who gives up, except when it comes to firing other people. The reasons I thought were: We don’t have a place of our own to live in, we don’t have a pile of savings,---what is Deanna going to say when she finds out?!! Those are pretty good reasons. I know some people may say, “Just go move into a new apartment, Patterson.” And there are those persons to whom my wife Deanna has explained our finances , who may be wondering why we don’t have pile of savings, if our cost of living was completely covered by Deanna’s pharmacist job and my freelance work. To those persons, all I can say is that my lovely wife is not a mathematician and even her pharmacist skills are questionable.

My wife is, however, an excellent interrogator. I was barely in the door, before she said, “Michael, what happened? I can see on your face something happened. You better just confess what it is right now. You can’t keep any secrets from me. Let me guess. You got another job, didn’t you? Just admit it. You are now working 3 jobs!” I broke down and said, “I can’t believe what just happened…” and told her all the rest of the story. Instead of being mad at me, Deanna was ecstatically happy. She said, “Great!! You finally did it!!”

Then I realized something about my wife I don’t think I had realized before. The fact I had given up my full time job didn’t bother her, not living in our place didn’t bother her, and not having any money didn’t bother her. What made my wife the happiest, was the idea that I had quit work at Portrait Magazine because she had told me to. She quickly pulled out a notebook and wrote on it, “Mike quit Portrait like I told him to back on October 15, 2005.” I said to her, “What’s the notebook for?” Deanna said, “It’s to write down all the times when you did something I said.” Deanna seemed so pleased; I didn’t have the heart to tell her, “I can’t believe what just happened.” It’s better to let her think I was obeying her.

Love,
Michael Patterson
I'm surprised Dee wasn't @ least a bit upset that U did all this without talking 2 her 1st, Mike. Tho I guess U do what she sez so seldom, she was only C-ing that angle. I've seen that sad little notebook she carriez around, Mike, and it hardly has NE writing in it.

Also, I thot from our last batch of monthly letters that U 2 had a bunch of $ piled up, partly from a small inheritance Dee recently got. What's the dealio?

Apes

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. I should have known such a sharp reader as you, would pay attention to the apparent descrepancy between my saying, “We don’t have a pile of savings.” and the note which Deanna put in her last monthly family letter which said: I inherited a small sum from my aunt who passed away in the summer.

    In order to explain my comment, I must refer you back to Deanna’s monthly letter from August, 2006, in which she said:

    I've started keeping cash around, I stocked up on candles and lighters (which are in a locked drawer in my desk), and I've begun buying extra canned goods. The Scouts had it right - "Be Prepared" is a good motto.

    As you might have guessed, keeping large amounts of cash lying around the apartment doesn’t seem like a very good idea any more. So, when I say, “We don’t have a pile of savings.” I literally mean it. The pile of cash Deanna had in the apartment is nothing but ashes and burnt metal now.

    As for Deanna’s inheritance, it and whatever money her mother has been giving her, she keeps in her own personal account. It’s the account she calls her “divorce” account because it’s “divorced” from our joint account. Deanna’s mother has been trying to throw money at us since we got married, but we want to earn the down payment for our house ourselves. When the time comes for Deanna to write a cheque for a down payment, I can, in good conscience, say I did not take any money from Deanna’s mother or her deceased aunt for it. I have my pride after all.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i had lunch w/duncan anderson. it wuz not rilly my choice, cuz he sat down b-side me & sed, “i can’t b-lieve wut happed. i typed up my luv poem 4 zed & i handed it 2 her.” i sed, “wut wuz in the luv poem?” duncan sed, “it sed:

    I’m giving up my full-time band
    At a time when I need you to understand.
    Without you, Zed, I don’t have a place to live in
    My heart is empty and doesn’t have a pile of sive ins.
    “Sive ins” is really savings, if you can’t figure it out.
    What is April going to say when she finds out?
    Will she say “Great!! You finally did it!!”
    Or will she say, “Zed’s not worth it”


    i sed, “ur givin’ up the band?” & duncan sed, “i wud do nethin’ 4 zed.” i sed, “have u talked 2 ur bandm8s ‘bout it?” duncan sed, “shud i?” i sed, “duh! yes!” duncan sed, “i guess i cud. oh, jeremy, do you know ne words that rhyme w/’zed’?”

    i sed, “bed, bled, dead, fled, red, shred, behead, cheese spread.” duncan sed, “those r good. thanx.” the next tyme i go 2 the washroom, i may c thoze words there.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    aw, man, i m so bummed abt dunc leaving the band! he just, like, totally gels w/us when he playz. he's got the mad bass-playing skillz an' he's so cube, 2!

    i heard him muttering, "zed, bled, made my bed, shd've sed." so now i know what that was abt, eh?

    apes

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Borsch! This reminds me of how my wife Lovey decided to sell our Heritage House for below market value and move us into a condo without asking me first. One day, I was looking at estimates for repairs to our home and the next, shadow-people were putting my favorite benkl into a truck! And leave it to Lovey to try to save money and hire a company with a generic name like "Moving." Would you believe that we haven't seen our possessions since that truck drove away with them? Between the fire, losing all that money on the house, and having everything we own stolen, my weekly sperm donations aren't cutting the zeneft anymore. I've heard tell of an opening at that third-rate "Portrait" magazine ... oy, imagine me, an editor!

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. The best thing about quitting my job was how many things I found out about the true nature of my wife as a result. You were there for part of it. I had come home from Portrait Magazine and announced to my wife I had quit my job, and you popped in from around this enormous wall and hallway which were located just behind the stairs to the second floor bedrooms. I have lived at Sharon Park Drive for most of my life, and the tendency for the house to rearrange its interiour has never ceased to amaze me. For example, when I left for work this morning, in place of that enormous wall and hallway was the door to the back porch.

    You were there with my children, apparently baby-sitting behind that wall, even though Deanna was home. Back in my old apartment, when there was a baby-sitter waiting there after work, it usually meant Deanna and I were going to go out. That was not the case this time. As I was thinking about this, you said, “Mike finally did what?” Deanna replied, “He left his job at Portrait Magazine! I’ve been begging him to quit and he did!” As you saw, little sis, Deanna gave her begging (whining, caterwauling, nagging, etc.) the total credit for me quitting my Portrait job. I had a sudden thought, which filled my mind with dread: If Deanna thinks “begging” works, then she may continue that practice for the rest of my life. I had this sudden flash of me, in a train conductor’s uniform, playing with model trains.

    I was about to launch into a protest, when my son leaped over my shoulder and I caught him just in time. My son was headed for my wallet, but he was not going to get it. This distracted me from my mission long enough so that you were able to fire off your question, “What will you do now?” My mind raced back to the model trains, but I convinced my mouth to answer, “Freelance…And I have an outline done for a second book.” I was thinking of calling it Son of the Soddy or The Soddy vs. Godzilla. Which one do you like?

    As you departed, what you didn’t see (probably because you went all black) was Deanna grab me by the shirt collar and say, “I’m going to be the breadwinner. For a while! And...if you’re working at home, we won’t have to look for an apartment in the city!” Then the shame of it all fell on me. I couldn’t think of any couples in Milborough where the wife was the breadwinner, which could stand as a good example for me to follow in my life. Steve Nichols cheated on Anne Nichols. Thérèse Caine cheated on Anthony Caine. The only solution which popped into my head was that I could become a “kept man”. I am sure you know the ones, little sis. I would be a white boy from the suburbs that marries a rich city lady. My job would be to pleasure her and be eye candy. She in returns takes care of all my financial needs. I could not imagine this was what Deanna really wanted. I said, “You’re really OK with this? …I’ll be a ‘kept man’!”

    But Deanna answered with an enthusiastic “Yes…and with less tension in your life.—I’ll be able to keep you for longer.” Well, little sis, it’s hard to deny a woman who answers your question with a pun, even if she implied that the tension in my life was going to kill me. Deanna put her arms on my shoulders. I put my hands on her shoulder blades, as she started to slide to the floor. I think it might have led to something else, if Edgar hadn’t been on the floor giving us the evil eye. Gone are the days when a little romantic punning led to some hanky-panky on the floor. I think it’s been almost 5-6 years now since those days. I hope Deanna doesn’t expect me to wear a Speedo as a part of this “kept man” business.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home