April's Real Blog

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

January Letters!

January letters fr. my fam R up, so as usual, I'll discuss them here.

Mine: It's weird how my school is out of synch with, like, all the other secondary schools in our area, which don't have second semester begin until February, eh? I guess R.P. Boire just had 2 B diff. I'm surprised my dad doesn't make sum lame pun based on the name of my school. Must B cuz he, like, 4gets his French. I mean, really. Boire is the French verb "to drink". "R P" = "our pee" is so John Patterson, doncha think?

NEway, with all the xcitement ovr the hols, I nev. did get 2 find out what made Becks cry after that math xam. Sumthing I can do 2 help, Becks? Sorry it's taken me so long 2 ask.

"Duncan and I went over the questions on the bus on the way home, and we talked about maybe trying to start the band up again with a different singer, but I don't think it's going to happen. We have a pretty heavy semester coming up, and I've got my job at the bookstore and my music lessons with Mr. Bergan." U mite B wondering abt this, since we went thru this whole thing recently where Mrs. Lake convinced Mom 2 let me cut way, way back on my working so I'd have time 4 yrbook. Well after my "stunt", as she calls it, at the Duncan-fam Xmas party (w/Ger & our compromising position), she took that all (mostly) back & re-upped my hours. I can still do yrbook, but I only get off fr. the store enuf 2 go 2 hockey gamez 2x a wk. & once hockey season is over, my hrs have 2 increase again. So, like, my other yrbook dutiez R now up 4 grabz. If NE1 is interested in officially documenting Becky's singing career, just talk 2 Mr. Hi Perspastick. U get 2 go 2 her gigs (the onez that R "safe" 4 minorz) in a semi-working capacity. But really it doesn't take much time 2 take notes & U can mostly enjoy yrself.

Well, I don't think NE1 would argue abt my fam being weird, LOL. But I totally did not write that Mike has a big, exciting job (note the comma, MOM).

About Dee. I also had a line in there abt how she's 2 cube 4 Mike. But it, like, mysteriously disappeared. (MOM!)

One of the nice things abt Gramps is he never implies that I'm not human. But more on that when I get 2 Dad's letter.

Lizzie's letter: Aw, man, way 2 avoid talkin' abt yr drunk NYE, Liz. Write yr letter early. Did U do that cuz, like, U were planning on drinkin' 2 much & wanted an xcuse not 2 write NEthing abt yr nite? Geez.
2006 is going to be an interesting year. The end of 2005 marked the end of my relationship with Warren; we promised to stay in touch, but our parting of the ways had a definite air of finality about it. I'm glad I got to see him again; I especially enjoyed spending some time with him in the helicopter. He loves to fly, and his enthusiasm is fun to witness. I can't blame him for following his heart and choosing the career that he did; I just wish we could have spent more time together.
"Our parting of ways had a definite air of finality about it"? This totally soundz like this is sumthing that kinda randomly happened. Like there's a chance of rain and Warren is partly cloudy. Insteada Liz firmly taking a stand on her choice of men. But then there's her next para.
So the end of 2005 brought an ending, and the start of 2006 will mark a beginning - I'm going to approach my relationship with Paul in a different way now that I'm not searching the skies for Warren. Paul's confession that he was crazy about me made me so happy, and filled me with hope that we can have a future together. I've had some time to think about him over the holidays, and I think I'm ready to pursue this partnership fully. We have a lot in common, he's a kind person, he's intelligent, likes the same music, movies and outdoor activities that I do, and he's nice to my cat. This could go places! I would like to meet his mom and dad. His mom is Ojibway and his dad is Irish. He speaks so highly of them. Some weekend, we'll drive to White River and I'll be introduced. This sounds so formal! I never met my boyfriends' parents except for Anthony's - but that was high school
This means that until Paul sed what he sed in the car, U'd been keeping an eye up in case Warren decided 2 fly in? WTF? OK, whatevs, I'm glad 2 C U R, like being decisive abt Paul. But, ew, Y'd U even hafta mention Granthony "I have no home" Caine. Ptooie!

Mom's letter: Okay, Jeremy, apparently U heard Moira an' B discussing this bit fr. Mom's letter--"April was in charge of the pre-dinner munchies - we had artichoke dip, crudités (crunchy veggies, crudely chopped) and a cheese and cracker platter that rivaled Anne's catering work. There's quite a bit of artistic talent in this family, and it manifests itself in our food!" Actually, lame as that soundz, I did an unusually "artistic" arrangement, cutting the cheese and crudités in really cool abstract shapes & creating multiple levels like U'd C in a restaurant. Cuz, like, I was bored. But they shouldn't worry abt this B-ing my only artistic outlet. Dunc & I (& Ger, 2) change our minds, like, every other day abt whether we mite revive the band sumtime. No worriez, eh? I agree that arranging cheez isn't what made the "party nites" @ Lilliputs successful. It was totally the free booze.

"I enjoy talking with people throughout the day." Oh, pleaz, Mom, U totally act like they're a burden & U wish they'd all go away. Until U discover the store'z in the red, then U R all anxious 2 C customerz again.

Isn't it funny how Mom's trying 2 act all "literary guru" like that? She reads, like, the shortest lil reviewz she can find & then triez 2 act all like she knowz what she's talking abt, LOL.

Dad's letter: OMG. OK, let's start with this:
It has been great to have Liz home. The one thing I really enjoyed was watching her react to her first real hangover after New Year's Eve (well, she SAID it was her first!). It brought back painful memories of the times I overindulged in alcohol and I must say, it's a lot more fun to watch someone else go through it. Poor Liz thought she was going to die, though, so I am sure she did not enjoy my poking fun at her. But how can you resist, when you feel so much older and wiser. I always swore that I'd never "over hang" again, but it took a long time and a lot more swearing before I kept my word!
Can U believe what a friggin' sadist he is? OK, OK, I admit I harassed her a bit when I 1st realized she was so hung over. But still, seeing her suffer like that wasn't enjoyable, let alone the "one thing I really enjoyed" abt her being home. What a turd! And he thinx I act like I'm not human?

NEway, Liz tellz me she sed this was her worst hangover, & Dad, like, turned that in2 "first real hangover". Whatevs, Dad.
I hope April hasn't been into the booze yet. She's at an age where she says little and scowls a lot. All you can do is keep an eye on her, talk to her openly and hope she uses good judgment. I have to say, even after the two other kids went through the teenage changes, I can't understand how a few simple molecules called hormones can change someone's personality so drastically. She is so sensitive and so up and down these days that I feel I am taking a leisurely stroll though a minefield when she's around. You never know what tone or inflection or comment is going to ignite her rage. I have always been able to kid her and have fun with her, and now I feel like running a barbed wire fence around her with signs that say "Danger, Explosives"!!! At least I have the knowledge that if I wait a few years she will become human again, but I sure do miss my best friend. Some day, she'll be back.
What an arse, eh? Well, let's not tell him abt my little "incident" w/drunkenness, K? NEway, can U believe this stuff he sez abt me? I mean, really, he & Mom R the 1's who R alwayz, alwayz jumpin' down my throat 4 having a "tone" when I'm totally not trying 2 have NE "tone". So can U blame me 4 "saying little"? Or (sumtymez) scowling? A little? & shut up abt "hormonez" already. Geez, this man is totally obsessed w/my "hormonez" & how they're supposedly makin' me, like, not human. Wha? I mean, really, U guyz reading this, is my behaviour that out there? I know U'd like totally tell me if it were.

BTW, Mom totally got pissed @ Dad 4 his comment abt wanting his "best friend" back. "John! I thot we were best friendz!" And he was all, "Eh? Oh rite, U're my other best friend, buddy ol' pal!"

& then he's on abt his st00pid Bushwacker again. Dad? No1, & I mean NO1 carez! Just trade it in 4 a matching 'vASSe, already. Every1 knowz U want 2, & Gordo totally has 1 set aside 4 U.

Lubricating locomotives? Ew! Steam engine, blah blah, again no1 carez. 40% dirt-stain quota? Uh-oh, peeps, I have a feeling he'll B out there boring many, many folks with his idiotic theoriez abt how dirty/stained a workshop needs 2 B. Brace yrselves.

Yo, did U know that steam engines R "more finikity than the electric engines"? Finikity? LOL! Treasure it while U can, cuz Steph the web designer will prolly fix it eventually.

& Oh, God--planning a warm-weather vacation w/Mom? U know we'll endlessly hafta hear abt that & c pix 4, like, ever! Ew!

Mike's letter: My, oh, my, check out Mike admitting, "Every moment of 'free' time was spent here in my attic, my haven from the complexities of relationships." Translation: "I hide from my wife an' kids." Jerk. Oh, & blah blah on "writer's life". Shut up, U hack! And how unintentionally funny was this?


Editing is, at times, a pleasure - as if you're working in tandem with another creative mind. Looking objectively through work that stimulates is more than a job, it's a privilege. At other times, you find yourself wanting to rewrite an entire tome. Simply correcting punctuation or suggesting a turn of phrase is not enough to salvage something that should not have gone past the publisher's inbox in the first place. It's a challenge to edit with neither judgment nor prejudice.
Aw, c'mon, Mike. U totally need sum1 2 correct yr punctuation & suggest better (*gag*) turns of phrase. & nothing U write shd ever go past a publisher's inbox, dork! Then novel, shnovel. Really, I think the world can go on without yr "my kid sister killed the dog" libel-lit (glad we destroyed that file!)

OK, here's an xample of where Mike needs an editor: "I'm slower to criticize, to anger and to condemn." I think this is what my English teacher wd call "faulty parallelism." See, take it apart. For the "parallelism" to work, he'd have to mean he is slower to make others angry. Like, "I'm slow to criticize (other people), to anger (other people)[,] and to condemn (other people)." But I think he's using "anger" as a noun there. Which would not go with his other two verb constructions. (Man, I so totally still have this stuff in my head from writing those examz!) And, like, if he were doing his parallelism correctly here, the "anger" thing wd B a total lie, since he pisses ppl off left & rite. By, like, totally disregarding their feelingz when they don't want him 2 write about them.

Oh, and "By mistakes, I mean errors in judgment." Oh, Mike, that's so yesterday!

Ha, then Mike triez 2 make up 4 his constantly avoiding Dee & the kiddlez by blathering abt them being precious 2 him. Day late, dollar short, d00d.

So, Dee, what's this "newly polished lens" Mike is on abt NEway? Is he using a telescope 2 spy on peeps fr. his attic?

Oh, and Mike wants to "to take this time to thank you for accompanying us on our journey, and for your wonderful hate mail comments and letters."

Dee's letter: Dee, I'm sooooo glad U R getting tough with Mike! Finally! But I hafta admit I was a bit disappointed when U fell back 2 that whole, "But I'm worried abt what all this hiding fr. the attic doing yr 'writing' all the time will do 2 yr health" mode. Did my mom throw that part in?

I thot this was interesting: "My mother seems to grow more overbearing every year while my father grows more withdrawn, and I don't want the two of us to end up like that. " Yo, doesn't that sound a whole lot like my 'rents? So, like, don't emulate them, either!

Gramps's letter: Awwww. I [heart] Gramps. Even tho his letter is mostly I'm OLD! I have ACHES & PAINS! But he's, like totally on my side.

But Gramps, pls never, ever mention strip poker. Ever again!

Pets: I know, the pets' letters R totally bogus. Y do we do them again? NEway, sorry abt that "crazy cat lady" comment, Liz. I kid cuz I luv. Paul, Liz sez she was joking abt yr having 2 buy Shiimsa a gift.

I hope I'm not, like, unknowingly foreshadowing (exam term!) Butterscotch's death-by-electrocution. We shd prolly do sumthing 2 make the house Buttsy-safe insteada sitting around hoping she'll learn not to chomp on cords. Sheesh.

Well, that's all for now. (Gah, took me 4evs 2 write this post. Hope U like it!)

Apes

19 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    sorry, becks, i wasn't meaning 2 tattle, just worried abt u is all.

    dee, roadtrip wd b awesome!

    apes

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    does that mean u're not passing math? cuz really, i didn't know if u were crying abt the exam or sumthing else. & i'm sorry i 4got 2 ask u abt it b4. yeh, it's true, i like the hot goss as much as the next person, but really, becks, seeing u lking like u'd been crying isn't goss in my bk.

    & the reason i did 4get 2 ask u abt it. prolly cuz i was being all "self absorbed" like my 'rents alwayz say i m. like, focusing on my own issues. which is shitty of me, but i can't alwayz help myself. being not-perfect & all that.

    u can believe what u want, i can't control that.

    apes

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    Becky and I are headed up to see my uncle Melville and aunt Winnie Kelpfroth and also to see about that the spore lurking around their apartment complex playing the bagpipes. I think they have finally lost it, but being a good nephew, it is sometimes necessary to coddle the delusions of my elders. I have a trunk full of anti-fungal cleaners, to help out, just in case.

    Becky and I plan to review math in the car on the trip up. I am not a math expert by any means, but it has not been so long since grade 9 that I cannot remember the concepts in case there are any areas of confusion for Becky. It’s just another area where I am ticked off with Becky’s parents for not keeping up with this stuff. Oh well, I can’t do anything about the old marks, but marks in the future are a different story. I definitely do not want my bud in summer school or having to repeat. Wish us luck.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i wuz goin’ by ur house just a few minutes ago & ur dad wuz on the outside of wut i think is ur room & he wuz runnin’ a barbed wire fence ‘round it w/signs that say "danger, explosives”. aftah he wuz done, he stopped & wuz reading a book. i sed 2 ur dad, “dr. patterson. wut iz w/the barbed wire?” he sed, “oh ur april’s little friend jeremy, rite?” i sed i wuz. he sed, “do u know if april haz been getting’ n2 the booze yet?” i sed, “dr. patterson. april iz ‘bout the nicest girl i know. she iz not gonna b getting’ n2 ur booze.” dr. patterson sed, “u must b 1 of those enablerz, like the rehab clinic peeps who give bad advice.” i sed “wut?” he sed, “it’s all here n ‘a million little pieces’ by james frey, a powerful, hard-hitting account of a man's journey frum addiction 2 health that elly sed i needed 2 read becuz of my….becuz oprah recommended it n her book club. it’s not 4 every1, but aftah reading this book, elly sez i will have a much clearer understandin’ ‘bout how & why um…april wunts 2 get n2 the booze.” i sed, “ok. u don’t b-lieve me ‘bout april. but wut iz the deal w/the barbed wire?” he sed, “it’s 4 ur own protection.” i sed, “wut do u mean?” he sed, “april iz so sensitive & so up & down these days that peeps need 2b warned. she iz no longer human. i have the knowledge that if i w8 a few years she will b-come human again, but i sure do miss my best friend.” & then ur dad started cryin’ rilly hard.

    then he luked @me & sed, “ru innerested n buyin’ a 4-wheel drive bushwhacker?” i sed, “4 how much?” he sed, “on @ least 2 seconds of contemplation, evn that iz not a gud thot. 4get i asked, please.” then he got up & started 2 ur house. i sed, “where ru goin’? ru leavin’ up this barbed wire?” he sed, “oh hafta go and monitor the dirt and stain quota n my choo-choo shop. i think it mite be going above 40%.”

    neway, don’t take this wrong, but ur dad iz whacked. seriously whacked. if u need help takin’ down that barbed wire & stuff, let me know. i need sumthin’ 2 take my mind off missin’ alexandra.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    This may sound crazy, but there is a human-sized spore or mushroom or something like that around my aunt and uncle’s apartment playing the bagpipes. I have already caught a glimpse of it and I think it went up into your brother’s apartment, but Becky thinks it went into the neighbour’s apartment. Becky and I are armed with anti-fungal cleaning agents and we are tracking it down. I am going to take her brother’s apartment and she is headed to the neighbour’s. I will post to you what happens after we find it.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    wow, howard, how scaree! gd luck & i hope nobody gets hurt.

    jeremy, yeah, i cd totally use help getting the barbed wire down. thanx! sooooo embarrassing! i took a pic so i can send it 2 becks so she mite understand the kinda thing keeping me, like, distracted. gah, my dad is such a freak!

    apes

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i'm bringin' my gloves & wire cutters. i'll be rite ovah.

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I knocked on your brother’s apartment door and your sister-in-law Deanna answered the door. I said, “Did a human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes come through here?” Then Deanna’s mother Mira came into view and said, “Who is it dear?” Deanna said, “Mother, you grow more overbearing every year. It’s just some person looking for mushrooms.” I said, “A human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes.” Then Deanna’s mother Wilf came into view and said, “Deanna. You really shouldn’t speak to your mother that way.” Deanna said, “Honestly, dad. You grow more withdrawn every year. I don’t want Mike and me to end up like you two. I am going to use my sister Andrea and her husband as a cautionary example. They are essentially, equals.” Wilf said, “Andrea? How long has it been since you visited Andrea?” Deanna said, “Well, I hope to be able to visit Andrea this summer.” Wilf said, “Just because she kept her maiden name when she got married, do not assume that Andrea’s life is sweetness and light.” Deanna said, “What do you mean? Whenever I talk to Andrea she says that even though sometimes the distribution of work in her family needs some balancing, she and Jeff iron things out and in a friendly manner, just like Mike and me.” Mira said, “You have that part right. They are like Mike and you. Honestly, Deanna, haven’t you wondered why Andrea has not come to visit you since you got married?” Deanna said, “It’s because she is trying to keep her distance from you two.” Wilf said, “No. Not us. We live in Burlington. Why hasn’t she come to visit you, your husband, or your children?” Deanna said, “She is too busy. She lives down East in Halifax. It’s too far.”

    I said, “Excuse me, but have you seen a human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes come through here?” Mira and Wif said together, “Oh it’s Howard. Deanna, this is the man who catered Wilf’s dinner in Milborough. He is a fine chef. What are you doing here?” I said, “I am tracking down a human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes.” They said, “What? A human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes! We haven’t seen anything like that? Have you, Deanna?” Deanna sort of mumbled and said, “No. That’s crazy. I haven’t seen anything like that.” The Wilf said, “Well we could go into the attic and ask Mike.” Deanna said, “No!!! We don’t need to bother Mike. He is busy with his writing. I will go talk to him about it.” So, then Deanna went up to the attic and I head her say, “Mike, honey. Have you seen a human-sized mushroom playing bagpipes up here?” We heard someone say, “Uh Uh.” Then Deanna came back down and said, “Mike hasn’t seen it. Sorry Howard.”

    I started to leave. Wilf began talking to Deanna saying, “It's astoundingly cold outside. This is an old house, built in the 40s. Mira and I have found a property with a new house, with adequate heating.” Deanna said, “Dad, please don’t talk real estate again. It is so boring.” Then the eerie sound of bagpipe music began and it was coming from the attic. Mira and Wilf stopped talking and Deanna started humming, “Oh, a lovely tune isn’t it? I must apologize. Whenever I hum I sound remarkably like bagpipes.” I said, “That wasn’t you. That came from the attic.” Deanna said, “You must be mistaken. Hmmm. Hmmm. See, just like bagpipes.” Mira said, “Deanna, I heard it too.” Deanna said, “Oh mother, stop being so overbearing.” Wilf said, “Deanna what is going on?” Deanna broke down and said, “Oh. I can’t lie anymore. It’s Mike. He has been writing in the attic for so long, he has gone into a trance and he has morphed into a mushroom—a bagpipe-playing mushroom!” Mira said, “What? How could you let this happen?” Deanna said, “I was going to put my foot down. But these darn sensible shoes wouldn’t let me. Plus his writing has gotten so much better now that he is a mushroom. He is much more attentive to the children and to me and he has finally learned how to properly fold shirts. The bagpipe music is not very soothing, but it’s a small price to pay for getting more help with the housework and more time with my hubby. He says things to me like, ‘My looks and my mind have changed, but I am fiercely proud of, and protective of, my family. I know I would give my life for them in an instant. They are that precious.’ Can you blame me for not wanting to lose that? It’s the kind of Mike I have been wishing for?”

    I said, “This is not right. I have antifungal cleaners. I will restore this situation to normal.” And I head up to the attic. There I saw Mike Patterson—human mushroom with bagpipes. He said, “I guess, with the start of another year, I'm seeing what I am - and what I have - through a newly polished lens. I'm happy with what I see. That, too, is a privilege.” I said, “Well, your lens needs repolishing. What you are is a mushroom.” And I readied my antifungal cleaners. Just then, Deanna jumped on me and said, “Run Mike. Run.” Mike ran down the attic stairs out the apartment. I hope Becky doesn’t run into him. I will let you know what happens.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Paul, sorry if I worried you with my comment about getting a gift for Shiimsa. My sense of humour gets...odd when I spend too much time with my family.

    Dee, I don't blame you for not wanting to return Mike's laptop right away. Oh, and I love your roadtrip idea!

    Apes, you caught me! I had a hunch NYE would be, well, "interesting". Though I have a feeling we'll be discussing my night. Maybe for many days.

    Oh, I see Jeremy is here, helping you remove Dad's ridiculous barbed wire.

    Liz

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    Poor Deanna. But I can understand. She is a little angry with me because she broke a nail when she jumped on me. I told her that we could fix that with some nail tips, but I did not realize having perfect nails was so important to her.

    Fortunately she said, “Mike is most likely to have gone over to Weed’s place for solace.” So we headed over there. We knocked on the door and Becky was there. I said, “What happened?” Becky said, “I will have to tell you later. Mike went downstairs.” Then I looked in the apartment and saw Josef Weeder weeping profusely in the arms of Carleen, his girlfriend. Becky said, “Strange isn’t it? Mike the mushroom totally rocks.” We didn't have time to discuss it, so, Becky and I headed downstairs toward Lovey and Morrie Saltzman’s apartment.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    dee, that so explainz y that description of yr parents' relationship is, like, totally my 'rents. elly pot-an'-kettle patterson, @ it again!

    & yeah, that whole "intimidating" riff was weird, considering i'd written that u r cube & down-2-earth. also, i didn't comment on yr 'rents @ all. u know what? i'll bet gramps didn't either. geez, elly!

    apes

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    that's v. v. cube, howard! :)

    apes

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    When Becky and I got down to Lovey and Morrie’s apartment, Lovey was outside saying, “Oh Morrie. I am feeling all farklempt.” Becky said, “What happened?” Morrie said, “Mike was here acting all meshungina, crazy. He told Lovey that he was so sorry that he and his wife never gave her a proper thank you for teaching them how to take care of their babies and for the reduced rent and for standing up for them with Kelpfroths and for all those times she gave baby-sitting for free.” Lovey said, “It was a cholem, a dream come true. Mike told me I put the ‘grand’ in grandmother. He was such a mensch. Now if he just didn’t leave those spores on the floor when he left.” Morrie said, “Yes. Those spores don’t look kosher.”

    I said, “Where did he go?” Lovey said, “Oh, his wife came down for him and they went to their apartment.” Becky and I are now outside their apartment. The door is locked of course, but hopefully someone will let us in. Becky is posting about her new desk while we wait.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    Well, after Becky and I (and Dee too, although reluctantly) held down Mike and sprayed him with a can of 'fungal spray' did not work, it turned out a stiletto shoe turned the trick. Deanna may conclude this story if she wants, but it is not likely. She says she has too much 'class' to say anything like that publicly even if it were ‘true.’ I know you like her, but a woman who spends her time posting about monthly letters when her husband has morphed into a bagpipe-playing mushroom needs to get her priorities straightened out. Becky will for sure have some words to say about how we finally got into their apartment.

    For her part, Deanna did tell Mike that if he morphed into a mushroom again, she was going to "go to that 'goddamned attic' and burn it down!" I don’t think it affected your brother any. He started going off on how Deanna puts the newspaper sections back in the wrong order. I knew it was time for Becky and me to leave and head back to Milborough.

    Mira and Wilf Sobinski however were very gracious about Becky's and my helping with this matter involving their family. They are, in my opinion, very classy, and probably would be a good example for anyone on how to accept unusual circumstances gracefully. The stories that they told me this past fall before Wilf’s celebratory banquet make a lot more sense to me now.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    well, what a crazy adventure! i wonder why this all happened, eh? v. v. weird!

    apes

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i am so sorry that u hadta hear alexandra’z call 2 me. i know she called ur fone tryin’ 2 get me, cuz she pressed the wrong # on her phone & pressed urs nstead. thanx 4 handin’ the fone 2 me while i wuz removing barbed wire.

    alexandra wuz callin’ frum red lobster, where she wuz w/her family & eva. well alexandra’s uncle ordered sum giant fruit punch & then he wunted alexandra 2 chug it. it wuz kinda confusing on the fone hearing her uncle sayin’ “chug, chug, chug!” for a fruit drink.

    neway, aftah she drank that alexandra started talkin’ ‘bout how much she missed me & how she luvved me & how she wunted us 2 get married & how she haz dreamz ‘bout me wearing nuthin’ but a speedo & a smile. then eva grabbed the fone & sed, “al duzn’t rilly mean ne of that. her uncle just gave her sum boozes.” then alexandra grabbed the fone frum eva & sed, “don’t b-lieve her jeremy. ur my true love. ur my old man. ur my prince charming. u evn luk a little like prince charles, altho mebbe u luk a little oldah than he iz. but ur still my prince. y don’t u come 2 nys & i will show u my birthmark. it’s rilly cube & it’s n the shape of…” then there wuz a crashin’ sound. then eva grabbed the fone again & sed, “al fell off her chair. mebbe we will call u again l8er. hangin’ up now.”

    that wuz it. i hope alexandra iz ok. i know coming home aftah @xmas, getting 2gethah w/her family & tying 1 on, is not usually wut u do wen ur 14. i hope her uncle knows bettah now.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    We are back in Milborough now and doing math. Becky thinks Deanna is really angry with me and Becky is not sure changing Mike back to human was the right thing to do. She kind of liked mushroom Mike.

    I am not sure how it happened in the first place. The attic where your brother works is damp and dimly lit and just the kind of place where you'd expect to find some sort of lurking spore. But morphing into a mushroom is kind of unusual. Did Deanna originally write that in her letter, or did your mother? I suppose it doesn't matter. I doubt either one would admit to the authorship.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    u know what? i was in the store 4 a lil while this morning when steph the web designer was helping mom post the letterz. & after she finished, i saw her reading a book abt mushroomz & fungi &, like, chuckling quietly. so, gotta wonder. . . .

    jeremy, i hope alex is ok. alex, r u ok?

    apes

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    The next time you are playing with Meredith and teaching her things, maybe a lesson in not stabbing your brother would be good. Then again, the way you feel about your brother these days, maybe that’s not such a good idea. Little Meredith may sense some latent hostility from that stuff you found on his laptop.

    Howard K.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home