April's Real Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2006

More Mike, More Smoke

Mike posted another comment abt the whole fire an' rescue thing:

At 2:49 AM, michael patterson said…

April,

Little sis. Now for more of my story of our excitement for our family after I was interrupted in telling it yesterday.

To recap: It was 2 am. I had just finished my book and I felt like celebrating. Not that I know anything of the physical pain of giving birth, but I was comparing this feat to something equally agonizing - and, now it was done. Yes finishing my book was like having to be in labour for hour after hour until I pushed that baby out of my loins, ripping and tearing the tender flesh of my…I think it was more like passing a kidney stone.

I sauntered down the stairs into the living room and my eyes began to burn. There is nothing like that time of night to make you realize your poor decorating choices. But in addition to my eyes, there was in my nose, the smell of melting plastic and a blue haze of smoke was beginning to curl into the apartment. Except it wasn’t blue of course. It was more like a light grey colour, and it didn’t so much curl as kind of glide through like someone had placed long ribbons across the room. The smoke was very odd. I kept on thinking I could get a pair of scissors and cut through them, but of course that was not truly the case, no matter how many times I tried.

The alarm on the hall ceiling went off, a high-pitched whine that pumped the adrenaline like a syringe. And then of course we also had the smoke alarm, which used a more conventional battery and electrically-powered method. I don’t know why we ever invested in those adrenaline-powered things. They are just awful and so tedious to maintain.

I woke Deanna and told her to get up. Fast. We dressed the kids, herded them into our room and onto the fire escape. And of course, by we dressing the kids, I mean Deanna got them dressed. I hate having to deal with those little hands and feet. They are too small for my delicate fingers. And of course, by herded, I mean picked up and carried. I don’t know the first thing about proper herding techniques, except it involves some kind of trained dog.

Our fire escape. Until now, it had been our balcony and a convenient route to the back yard. I remember those days of sitting back there with Deanna on lawn chairs and viewing the bustling city of Toronto. How exciting it was to view the city lights there on our fire escape. But now, it was a welcome exit from an apartment rapidly filling with smoke.

That is the scene where I left your readers 2 days ago. And now to continue:

With Dee and the kids outside and the emergency fire crew alerted, I impulsively ran back into the apartment…well actually I had never left the apartment physically, but mentally I was outside the apartment with Dee and the kids. I think that should count. And by impulsively, I mean I had been thinking about doing it all along. But I had only been thinking about it in the brief time after the smoke alarm went off, so for a Patterson that is impulsively.

Anyway, I ran up the stairs to my office and grabbed two other things I had to save: my laptop and my manuscript. I know you are thinking I probably should have only picked up the laptop and left the manuscript, but I had printed the manuscript on really nice paper and I had used the “Best Quality” setting on the printer and everything, so it would have been a shame to let it burn.

It took seconds to get both, but by the time I reached the bottom of the stairs, the acrid smoke burned my lungs. I couldn't see. Trying not to breathe, not to panic, I moved towards the hall. In our hall closet I selected a cloth to put over my mouth to help me with the smoke. I wanted a nice, pretty, flowery cloth; my favourite, to use; but all we had in the closet were those ugly white ones we got from Deanna’s mother for my birthday. I struggled with deciding whether or not I should go into the dirty laundry to try to find my favourite, flowery one, but then I decided I would go for the plain, drab, white one and hope that no one saw me with it. That would be embarrassing. I'm strong, but not strong enough to be seen with the wrong cloth in public. Well, as they say, smoke can kill you, and once I got into the smoke, I realized I should have gone for my nicer, flowery, cloth; because the smoke went right through the cheap white cloth and I could feel myself falling forward.

From the door of our bedroom, two masked firefighters appeared, and by masked, I mean they had oxygen masks on, not that they were masked like bandits. One of them yelled to someone behind him, “We’ve got him! He’s OK!!!” Of course he was wearing his oxygen mask when he said it, so I marveled at his enunciation. I suppose in firefighter school they teach how to properly articulate words so they can be understood when they have oxygen masks on. That’s really quite a skill. I might have to write an article on it some day. The other firefighter stuck his hand out with what appeared to me to be some kind of yellow lobster claw. It was however, an oxygen mask of some sort.

I was given a breath of oxygen and another as they carried me like a doll to the exit, closing our bedroom door behind them. Well, I say carried me like a doll but it was more like one firefighter grabbed me around the waist and hoisted me off the ground while the other firefighter stuck the lobster claw oxygen mask on my face. When I think about it, dolls are usually carried around the neck with their legs and feet dangling, and it wasn’t like that at all. Perhaps I should say they carried me more like someone giving me the Heimlich maneuver while the other person tried to catch what was coming out of my mouth with the oxygen mask. Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned fireman’s carry? There is nothing like being hoisted onto the broad shoulders of a strong man. I remember Josef Weeder and I used to practise fireman’s carries on each other all the time in university. It was quite invigorating.

Despite their bizarre method of carrying me, they continued to carry me down the two flights of stairs leading from our second floor apartment to the back yard. As they did so, I could hear my wife Deanna expressing the tender sounds of concern for my condition as she said, “I left a blanket and our photo albums on the fire escape.” The firefighter responded, “OK! Just get out of the way, please!” I could tell from the firefighter’s tone, this was not the first time Deanna asked about the blanket and photo albums. I could also tell he was single. A married firefighter would have obeyed the commanding wifely voice of my Deanna instantly and retrieved the items to keep her from continuing to ask about them over and over again. That’s what I would have done myself, if I had not been busy being carried by firefighters at the time.

Two pumper trucks were in the lane. At least that’s what I was told. I only saw one myself. Lights from a police car and a rescue vehicle were like fireworks as my eyes adjusted to the scene outside. Of course, now that I think about it, fireworks are usually sparkly and don’t produce that much light. Perhaps I should say the lights were more like miniature suns. No. That’s too strong a term. How about, the lights were blinding me to the one thing I wanted to see more than anything. That should work.

I was safe, but seeing Deanna and the children in the care of the fire crew brought me to tears. As the firefighter who had been giving me the Heimlich let go, so my feet could touch the ground again, I heard him say, “Medic! Get this one to the hospital!” I turned to him and said, “Don’t you mean ‘paramedic’ and shouldn’t he examine me first, before deciding I need to go to the hospital?” The firefighter said, “Hey! If you’re so smart, why did you go back into a burning building?” I started to tell him it was to preserve the manuscript of what would become the great Canadian novel, but I could tell his thinking was too pedestrian, or should I say, “firefightian” to understand the importance of great literature. So, I did not argue the point any further. Instead, as Deanna rushed to embrace me, I told her she was the most important thing in my life, by handing my laptop to her and saying, “Deanna, take my laptop!” Truer words of trust and dedication to another human being have never been spoken before and may never again be said. Entrusted into my wife’s arms was Canada’s literary future, and I knew she would follow through and make sure it was preserved.

As I walked to the rescue vehicle, I could tell my children realized the importance of what I had done for our country. My daughter said, “Mommy! Look! The fire! It’s burning everything! What are we going to have left?” Clutching my laptop in her right arm and gathering my children in her left arm, or was it the laptop in the left arm and the children in her right? It is so difficult to see things when you are being loaded into an emergency vehicle. Anyway, Deanna had them all together so that, in effect, all my children were gathered into her arms. I could hear my wife answering, “Each other.” as I was being loaded into the emergency vehicle. I could feel their concern for my health and well-being, even though they were busy watching the apartment burn instead of standing close by me.

Yes, what we had left was my son, my daughter, my wife, and my book. With those 4 things I can conquer anything. I can tell you little sis, in moments of crisis you realize what is truly important: Your family and great literature.

Little sis, just to let you know, there is a very good chance I will get called to make some speeches about my heroic rescue from our burning apartment, so I may or may not be writing to you about my excitement tomorrow. However, I expect to begin the story again the following day. I know your readers are anxious to hear about what injuries I sustained, so they can keep up with modern Canadian literary history, and I will try not to disappoint them.

Love,
Michael Patterson

As 4 2morrow'z entry, I have a feeling it's gonna have a Christmas theme 2 it! BTW, sorry 2day's post is so much l8r than the usual. I slept l8!

Apes

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    When you wrote about giving your laptop to Dee, I cried, man. I had to sit back in my chair and just let the tears roll down my face, until little Frannie rattled her picket fence cage to find out what was the matter.

    You actually let Dee keep your laptop for you, even knowing how careless she is with the kids at times. That's trust. That's love. Of course it's pretty dumb to take a laptop to hospital with you, if my experiences and Denys Arcand's movie The Barbarian Invasions are accurate. But still.

    Also, I think we'd better make a pact (this means YOU April!) not to tell your Mom that Dee left the scrapbook on the fire escape. Things could get ugly in that seriously overcrowded house.

    Anthony

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anthony,

    Whenever I write something for April’s Blog, I know that her audience has limited understanding, since they are by-and-large ignorant teenagers with poor hygiene. But just because I know you are here reading, I know there will be at least one person who “gets it” and it sounds like your little half-Quebecoise girl has a glimmer of understanding "it" too, in case she too, is approached someday by a man with a Laptop of Love, the greatest love a man can give.

    As for the scrapbooks, I am afraid to say it is too late to avoid the ugly with mom. That was the first thing she asked about when we got to her house. When she found out that Deanna had left them behind and my daughter’s favourite, blanket which mom had lovingly given her out of the lost-and-found pile from blankets some other children accidentally left at Lilliput’s, it was not a pretty sight. She almost turned us away. But, the mere suggestion of our staying with my in-laws, the Sobinski’s, stayed her hand. After all, when you have lost everything, one of things you have left is your mother’s rivalry with your in-laws.

    I know one of the things you must be looking forward to, when you finally marry Elizabeth, is when the time comes where you get to shun your own mother and father in favour of my mother. And you don’t have to worry about Elizabeth being her usually unsupportive self. She is well-versed in shunning people, thanks to being brought up as a Patterson woman. I know I am looking forward to hearing stories from you about how you threw your parents out of your house for violating one of the family rules. There is no greater joy, aside from the moment you get your laptop back from your wife, eh?

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I read your writings quoting your nisayenh (brother) where he talked about going back into his burning apartment to get his manuscript, was rescued by the firefighters, and then the only thing he said to your niinim (sister-in-law) was “Take my laptop.” I read it more than once to make sure I was reading it correctly. Then I called your sister and asked her if that is really what happened. Your sister said, “I know, Paul. Wasn’t it so romantic? My nisayenh (brother) has such a good working, long-term partnership with my niinim (sister-in-law), he could say those simple words ‘Take my laptop’ and she knows it means the ceremony of saying ‘I love you’ or ‘Thank goodness I’m alive’ is secondary. The security and commitment and trust of leaving his laptop with her come first! When my nisayenh (brother) told this story the next day, everyone in the house was crying. I would say it was even more romantic than buzzing a university graduation with a helicopter, wouldn’t you?” Of course, I said “Yes”, mainly because I don’t think buzzing a university graduation with a helicopter is very romantic – more like illegal and dangerous. Romance is very different in the South than in the Northwest. When I think back to last December when I simply told your sister I loved her, it must have seemed strange to her. Maybe I should have showed my love to her by letting her drive my car or play with the radio in my car or use the siren. Now I wonder if your sister knows I love her, and how I would be able to tell if she does.

    After I get off my work shift, I plan to drive up to Mtigwaki (Land of Trees) and pick up my friend Susan Dokis, whom I call Chipper, to take her to visit her ningitiziim (parents) for Christmas. While I was talking to her about when to pick her up, I asked her if there was something I wasn’t doing right to let my sweet girl know I loved her. Chipper said, “Suds (her nickname for me) 2 jobs transfers. Talking to her every day. Writing her. If she doesn’t know you love her, then there is something wrong with her.” Then I said, “But I never gave her my laptop.” Chipper was confused and then I told her the story about your nisayenh (brother) and your niinim (sister-in-law). She said, “Suds. Are you sure you want to marry into this family? They sound completely giiwanaadizi (crazy) to me.” Chipper is usually very helpful when it comes to romance, but not this time.

    Any suggestions you could give, would help, since you are from the South and know the ways of Southern romance. As always, I hope your nisayenh (brother’s) family is well, and I hope your mishomis (grandfather) is getting better.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I find it a little difficult to not be filled with loathing at your sister-in-law after reading this account by your brother. My aunt Winnie and uncle Melville were lying unconscious in the lower apartment, getting burned, and your sister-in-law is more concerned about her daughter’s blanket and photo albums than telling the firefighter that there are residents in the downstairs. I know my aunt and uncle did not get along with your sister-in-law, but I think she had a moral obligation to tell them, despite their difficulties.

    Right now, I am in the hospital looking at my aunt and uncle’s burned bodies, and hearing their racking coughs from the lung damage they got from the smoke, and I am having a hard time not thinking bad thoughts about your sister-in-law. I keep thinking back to the time when she mishandled her birth control and ended up pregnant with your niece. Some people think that was a planned mistake, since your sister-in-law is a pharmacist. Other people think your sister-in-law is just, plain stupid. I am trying to believe that your sister-in-law is just plain stupid, otherwise it would mean she intentionally left my aunt and uncle to burn to death in revenge. What do you think, April? Is your sister-in-law dumber than bricks, or is she a vicious killer?

    I am trying to put these bad thoughts out of my head, but it is hard. I try to say, “You’re not in prison for Christmas, Howard.” But the thought of being in prison in January, gets in the way. I try to say, “At least my aunt and uncle are still alive.” But the thought they might have sustained only the same injuries as your brother, if the firefighters had been properly informed, gets in the way.

    Fortunately, not everyone in your family is reprehensible. Your step-grandmother, Iris, sent over a book on Taoism, which she said was very helpful for her in dealing with anger with Pattersons. Her note says:

    Coward (what she likes to call me),

    I know you are going through tough times. I can certainly relate. It was recently suggested to us that Jim’s daughter’s world was in too much chaos for us to share in their yuletide feast and it would be wise of us to decline their invitation to come. I was filled with anger, and this book helped me.

    It helps me every week, when my daughter-in-law comes to visit with food she has gotten from her friend Anne Nichols at the Empire Hotel, and we discover that most of the food has been eaten or is covered in drool when we get it. This book helped me deal with anger, as I was washing drool off food.

    Just remember, there are still people out there who will do kind things for you. My daughter and son-in-law bought us a housekeeping service as a Christmas gift, so I don't have to worry about keeping the apartment clean - what a blessing! Those acts of kindness can make up for a lot of the hate you have experienced lately, and I hope this book will be an act of kindness for you.

    Love,
    Iris Richards


    Needless to say, I was deeply touched. I don’t think I will ever be able to look at a Yin Yang symbol again and not think of your step grandmother, Iris.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, ur bro iz actually a worse dad than my dad. more proof 2day. sorry 4 ur niece & nephew.

    my mom tried 2 send ovah sum clothez of hers 4 ur sil 2 wear, but supposedly she duzn’t need nething. wut ur mom sed wuz ur sis spent almost all her 2 years' worth of saved cash frum workin’ in the northwest on clothez as soon az she got outa mtigwaki & now her butt has gotten so big she can’t fit n2 ne of the pants nemore, she bought just back in july. in case u were wonderin’ y ur sis wuz wearin’ so many of thoze sensible school marm dresses & thoze loose-fitting jeans, thass the reasn. butt room. ur sil haz a smaller butt, so they fit her & according 2 ur mom, she now has @least 2 weeks’ worth of outfits.

    ‘course ur mom complained 2 my mom that if ur sis hadn’t spent all of her saving on clothes, then she could have afforded a car w/o her financing it, or could have afforded an apartment. oh, & get this. ur sis’ feet have gotten fatter frum livin’ in the south, so ur sil got dozenz of shoes frum ur sis 2 wear. aftah talkin’ 2 ur mom, my mom sed 2 me, she wuz glad i wuz a boy & i knew howta handle money. i am doin’ alright money-wise, since i have been doin’ these dj gigz. it has helped me come back frum the gym jam disaster. i don’t get as much money az i did doin’ sound 4 rebeccah, but i still get more than enuff 4 xmas gifts.

    i dropped urs by ur house w/ur mom, wen we dropped by 2 drop off clothes 4 ur sil. ur mom sed u were 2 bizzy b-ing princess, which actually meant u were still sleepin’. neway, the prezzie is sumthin’ u cud use while u have been kicked outa ur room 2 get a little alone tyme. i hope u like it.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    thanx 4 the tent cot, zeremy. it's def gonna help me get a bit more privacy.

    howard, i def think it's stoopid, not mean.

    paul, i'd like 2 help u w/the southern romance stuff, but i don't think it's really about "southern," i think it's abt liz. and really, i still can't figure out liz v. well. btw, does "chipper" know what u were able 2 cancl yr 1st transfer request b4 it went thru? it soundz like she thinx u got that transfer 2 spruce narrowz.

    apes

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi all,

    Bad news. I've just been fired.

    I was faxing a synopsis and the first three chapters of Mike's novel to Buckingham Palace today, to show what a great work of literature he saved and maybe getting the Queen to mention it in her Christmas message. Seven customers couldn't get their credit approved because we couldn't send in photo IDs and insurance info and they left. Donna (that bitch!) went to Gordon and he fired me. He was pretty nice about it, he's going to pay me for three months in cash so I can collect both unemployment insurance and my salary, so I'll be doing very nicely for several months at least.

    Your Dad is really upset. I called him about it and he started crying and turning on the choo-choo noises really loud. He says he may have to have a talk with Gordon, but then he broke down again. I told him I'd be fine but he made a bunch of noises like someone speaking in tongues. Could someone go down and check on him?

    Anthony

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    anthony, i found my dad in his workroom. he was playing with his choo-choo ppl. he told me the "john pattertrain" guy was having a v. serious talk w/the "gordon mayestrain" guy and "talking sum sense in2 him." i have a feeling u won't stay fired 4 v. long.

    apes

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anthony,

    My little sis went into the choo-choo room to talk to my dad about interceding on your behalf. That was pretty silly of her, since everyone knows everything rises and falls on my mother’s opinion. I went to talk to my mother about it and she said to me, “Michael, you should concentrate on being injured and helpless and getting everyone’s attention. Don’t worry about Anthony Caine, when it’s your day to get attention. Your mother has taken care of everything. Don’t worry your pretty, little head over it.”

    I normally take mom’s advice, but to be extra double sure I called up Gordon Mayes. After waiting on the phone for about an hour, Gordon picked up the phone and I could hear him say, “An hour, eh? I guess he’s not giving up. What do you want Mike?” Then I told him all about your dilemma and how it wasn’t fair to you, since all you were doing is supporting me by faxing a synopsis and the first three chapters of my novel to Buckingham Palace, to get the Queen to mention it in her Christmas message. Gordon said, “Mike, have you talked to your mother about this?” I told him I had. Gordon said, “And what did your mother say?” I said, “She told me not to worry my pretty, little head over it.” Gordon said, “And why aren’t you doing that?” I said, “Because I am a man, and a manly man at that. I don’t do everything my mother says.”

    Gordon said, “That, Mike, is the single biggest problem I have with you and Anthony and everyone in your family. Trust me when I say your mother and I have the whole situation under control. Anthony has enough money to last him for months, assuming he’s not stupid enough to lose it. Not having to work, gives him plenty of time to pursue your sister, and he has the privilege of coming into work to pretend to work, if your sister ever comes to Mayes Midtown Motors. Not having him at work, means I stop hemorrhaging money at the Kountry Kitchen, and Donna and all the other people who have to work with Anthony get a huge morale boost.”

    I said, “Are you sure we are talking about the same Anthony, the one whom dad says gave you all your great business ideas?” Then Gordon started laughing really loudly, so I knew everything he said before was a big joke. I said, “You were just joking about the firing and the other things. You are a funny guy, Gordon Mayes.” Then Gordon said, “Patterson. You keep believing that, and don’t call here again. I haven’t seen your girly body or heard your whiney voice since the New Years Eve party of 2004, and I would like to keep it that way.”

    But that wasn’t good enough for me, so I said, “And you’re giving Anthony back his job. That’s our agreement.” Gordon said, “Trust me. Once Anthony is engaged to your sister, he will have his job back. It’s just a little motivation for him to get off his butt and propose. Your mother and I have an agreement which goes way back.” I said, “What agreement?” Gordon said, “The agreement was that I don’t have to marry your sister myself, I get to marry Tracey, and in exchange, I do whatever I can to get your sister married to the man of your mother’s choosing.” I said, “What are you talking about?”

    Gordon said, “Back when I was in high school, your mother thought that since I was a victim of abuse from my alcoholic father, I would be the perfect choice to marry your sister. It was a ‘continue the cycle of abuse’ thing. I was too smart for that. I had seen the blunt force contusions on your father’s head from whatever it is that your mother threw at him, so I knew what I would be getting into if I married your sister. Besides, I wanted to have sex after marriage, more than just making babies. So instead, I agreed to help your mother put your sister together with the man of her choice. When your sister met Anthony Caine, we knew he was the perfect guy. He worshipped your sister from the instant he met her and he was even stupider than your sister is.” I protested, “My sister is not stupid.” But Gordon said, “Is she 25 and unmarried and living in her mother’s house in Milborough?” I had to concede his point. Then Gordon said, “Everything is taken care of. And I don’t expect you with your limited brain power to remember this long enough to tell anyone.” Well, Gordon was wrong. I remembered it long enough to write this letter to you, so you will know that…um…Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I have just arrived at my friend Susan Dokis’ (whom I call Chipper) ningitiziim (parents’) house with Chipper. The cars on the cinder blocks have been decorated with Christmas ornaments. They are very pretty. I read your writings asking if Chipper knows I was able to cancel my first transfer request before it went through to Spruce Narrows. Spruce Narrows is not very far from Mtigwaki (Land of Trees), so I am pretty sure she was aware I was not living in Spruce Narrows. I am sure if you remembered Chipper has visited me at my place in Otter County several times, you wouldn’t have asked the question.

    Chipper’s noos (father) and ngashi (mother) were very excited to see me. They seemed a little disappointed when I told them I was still planning to transfer in January. Chipper’s ngashi (mother) said, “So the Waabshki-Nika (White Goose) with the Kaad-Gnebig Njnaamod (Lizard Breath) still has you in her powers, Paul?” I told her yes, I was still in love with your sister. Then she said, “How can you stand to kiss someone who has Kaad-Gnegig Njnaamod (Lizard Breath)?” I told her how your sister felt about kissing. And Chipper’s ngashi (mother) said, “With maanzhimaagwanamo (bad breath) like that, not kissing so much is a good idea. It would be hard to keep a man. Do you remember when you were younger on the pow-wow trail and you kissed Susan? Her breath is very sweet and she is a good kisser. You should call her Aamoowi-ziinzibaakwad (Honey) Njnaamod (Breath) instead of Chipper. When you call her Chipper, people think she should be shredding wood.” Chipper blushed and so did I. It was good to be with a loving family who knows how to use native humour. I will miss this when I move to the South.

    I hope you and your family have happy holidays, too, even if there is no native humour.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, what xxactly abt what i wrote made u think i went in 2 talk 2 dad abt "interceding" on anthony's behalf? all i did was go in 2 find out what the strange soundz fr. dad's workshop were. then i came here and wrote what i saw and heard.

    paul, i didn't 4get that u sed susan had visited u in otter county. but i noticed she sed sumthing abt u having transferred twice. so i thot mayB SHE 4got.

    apes

     
  • At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. Sundays for our family are a marvelous time. Everything seems more colourful. A lot of the time during the week, our life seems to go by so quickly there is barely enough time to set up a decent pun. But on Sundays there seems to be so much time to enjoy life, you wonder if it wouldn’t be better off to be just a little shorter or to have more things to do to fill the time. Certainly that is true this Sunday.

    I know today is Christmas Eve, and Christmas Eve night is the night when Santa will come, but for some reason, I had this feeling that the whole story of what happened to our family with our apartment burning happened on Christmas Eve night. In fact, that feeling is so strong, I think when I write my monthly letter for January, that’s the way I will tell it, that the fire happened on Christmas Eve night, maybe even with an Ebenezer Scrooge reference. It’s always good to throw in a reference to classic literature, particularly if it comes from an English author. That would make the story so much more poignant. I wonder if I can get everyone to go along with that this coming week as we deal with the aftermath of the fire. It would mean everyone would have to ignore my family’s history of traveling to Milborough and spending the night at mom’s for every Christmas since Christmas 2003, but I think our family is up to it. What do you think?

    In any case, my daughter decided to get into the spirit of setting other days as Christmas Eve and she decided that the night before Christmas Eve was the night Santa Claus was going to come. Apparently she woke in the middle of the night, from where she was sleeping on the day bed in mom’s sewing room, beside the crib mom borrowed for Robin to sleep in. She might have gotten confused about what night it was, or she may simply have been creeped out by that extraordinarily repulsive, substitute doll, mom found for her to sleep with. Even Ned Tanner looks good compared to that ugly thing.

    When I found my daughter on the floor, she was wearing a nice, polka-dotted red night gown, we got from the collection for kids’ clothes Deanna got from her co-workers. It was nicer than what my daughter normally wears to bed, so I have no reason to complain. As near as I can tell from the evidence, my daughter must have gone out of the sewing room, stealthily crept to and down the stairs and sequestered herself in a hiding place where she could view the Christmas tree and the chimney. Apparently my daughter was trying to catch Saint Nick in the act. I spoke to her as I was carrying her upstairs, and she said, “Daddy. It was sooo boring. I waited a long time. I looked away from the tree, but in secret looking at tree, in case Santa showed up. Then I fell asleep.”

    The reason I was up in the middle of the night, was I woke up to check on the children, because I am a good father. Oh, alright. I was really up in the middle of the night to sneak some chocolate fudge before mom could eat it all. That’s when I found my daughter asleep on the floor. I picked her up to take her back to bed. As I was carrying her she said, “Daddy. I had a dream I took Robin to the Christmas tree and there were all these presents there – a tricycle, a live monkey, a wind-up Frosty the Snowman, a wrapped bottle of happy juice for Auntie Liz, and a lot of other presents wrapped up and all over the floor. I could tell it was a dream, Daddy. Because the presents were every one wrapped in different wrapping paper, like someone used a new roll of paper for every present. Then I said to Robin, ‘They’re right, Robin. …Santa comes when you’re sleeping’.” I said to her, “Maybe you can do that on Christmas Day and pretend you were sleeping on the floor tonight on Christmas Eve night.” My daughter said, “Maybe. Why are Sundays so different, daddy?” I said, “I will tell you what my father told me in this very same house, when I asked him the very same question---Six weeks dailies, eight weeks Sundays.” My daughter nodded her head sleepily, no doubt dreaming of a happier time when people planned 8 weeks in advance, so things didn’t seem so different on Sundays.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home