April's Real Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Sundays are different

Mike did one of his l8-nite posts:

At 3:23 AM, michael patterson said…

April,

Little sis. Sundays for our family are a marvelous time. Everything seems more colourful. A lot of the time during the week, our life seems to go by so quickly there is barely enough time to set up a decent pun. But on Sundays there seems to be so much time to enjoy life, you wonder if it wouldn’t be better off to be just a little shorter or to have more things to do to fill the time. Certainly that is true this Sunday.

I know today is Christmas Eve, and Christmas Eve night is the night when Santa will come, but for some reason, I had this feeling that the whole story of what happened to our family with our apartment burning happened on Christmas Eve night. In fact, that feeling is so strong, I think when I write my monthly letter for January, that’s the way I will tell it, that the fire happened on Christmas Eve night, maybe even with an Ebenezer Scrooge reference. It’s always good to throw in a reference to classic literature, particularly if it comes from an English author. That would make the story so much more poignant. I wonder if I can get everyone to go along with that this coming week as we deal with the aftermath of the fire. It would mean everyone would have to ignore my family’s history of traveling to Milborough and spending the night at mom’s for every Christmas since Christmas 2003, but I think our family is up to it. What do you think?

In any case, my daughter decided to get into the spirit of setting other days as Christmas Eve and she decided that the night before Christmas Eve was the night Santa Claus was going to come. Apparently she woke in the middle of the night, from where she was sleeping on the day bed in mom’s sewing room, beside the crib mom borrowed for Robin to sleep in. She might have gotten confused about what night it was, or she may simply have been creeped out by that extraordinarily repulsive, substitute doll, mom found for her to sleep with. Even Ned Tanner looks good compared to that ugly thing.

When I found my daughter on the floor, she was wearing a nice, polka-dotted red night gown, we got from the collection for kids’ clothes Deanna got from her co-workers. It was nicer than what my daughter normally wears to bed, so I have no reason to complain. As near as I can tell from the evidence, my daughter must have gone out of the sewing room, stealthily crept to and down the stairs and sequestered herself in a hiding place where she could view the Christmas tree and the chimney. Apparently my daughter was trying to catch Saint Nick in the act. I spoke to her as I was carrying her upstairs, and she said, “Daddy. It was sooo boring. I waited a long time. I looked away from the tree, but in secret looking at tree, in case Santa showed up. Then I fell asleep.”

The reason I was up in the middle of the night, was I woke up to check on the children, because I am a good father. Oh, alright. I was really up in the middle of the night to sneak some chocolate fudge before mom could eat it all. That’s when I found my daughter asleep on the floor. I picked her up to take her back to bed. As I was carrying her she said, “Daddy. I had a dream I took Robin to the Christmas tree and there were all these presents there – a tricycle, a live monkey, a wind-up Frosty the Snowman, a wrapped bottle of happy juice for Auntie Liz, and a lot of other presents wrapped up and all over the floor. I could tell it was a dream, Daddy. Because the presents were every one wrapped in different wrapping paper, like someone used a new roll of paper for every present. Then I said to Robin, ‘They’re right, Robin. …Santa comes when you’re sleeping’.” I said to her, “Maybe you can do that on Christmas Day and pretend you were sleeping on the floor tonight on Christmas Eve night.” My daughter said, “Maybe. Why are Sundays so different, daddy?” I said, “I will tell you what my father told me in this very same house, when I asked him the very same question---Six weeks dailies, eight weeks Sundays.” My daughter nodded her head sleepily, no doubt dreaming of a happier time when people planned 8 weeks in advance, so things didn’t seem so different on Sundays.

Love,
Michael Patterson

I know what he meanz abt Sundayz being diff. It's like U can have zits all week, have clear skin on Sunday, go back to having the zits on Monday, and then finally still have zits the following Sunday. So weird at times.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Everyone at work must be real relieved that word got out that I'd be coming back (eventually). I stopped by late yesterday to pick up some DVDs and video games that I left in my desk and you've never seen such happy faces. I don't know if it was the Christmas spirit or what but everyone was walking with a bounce in their step and sparkles in their eyes and singing munchkin songs from the Wizard of Oz.

    Thank your parents for their efforts on my behalf. And Merry Christmas!

    Anthony

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn. Damn, damn, damn.

    Oh, hello, Anthony.

    Damn.

    Donna

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, ur bro's story reminded me of the 1 tyme i spent xmas eve w/my dad & i decided 2 sneak outa the bed @nite 2c santa put thingz under the tree. i wuz pretty young & innocent then, but i pretty much figgered the groupie dad picked up @his xmas eve concert wuz not santa & they were not xxactly wrappin' prezzies in fronta the tree. i told mom that story & that wuz the last xmas eve i had w/dad. i can tell u, aftah that xmas eve, i didn't rilly miss dad @xmas. i woke up the next mornin' & there were still no prezzies under the tree, but dad & the groupie had done sum v.v. creative thingz w/xmas wrapping. it wuz both informative & gross.

    2nite i am doin' the sound 4 an xmas eve party. there shud b a lotta peeps there u know, & i will tell u wut happs aftah the party mebbe.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anthony,

    I will be glad to pass on your thanks to my parents. When it comes to my friends, they love thanks and groveling, so I told them you groveled a little. If they ask, tell them you groveled.

    I can't say I am too surprised that the people at your workplace were happy to see you. I know when Elizabeth thinks about you, her face lights up too. She doesn't sing munchkin songs from the Wizard of Oz though, which is probably a good thing. Her breath is so Lizardlike, most people prefer her to keep her mouth closed for the sake of the local flora and fauna.

    I know you had hoped to take her in for the holidays to show your kindness and generosity, since our house is so crowded, but my parents wouldn't think of imposing. Instead they are dealing with the problem of overcrowding by leaving newspaper ads with apartments circled on them wherever Elizabeth goes. Actually, that's just dad. If it were up to mom, we would all stay in her house forever. I am beginning to think I will never leave. Imagine that.

    I hope you and your half-Quebecoise child have a Merry Christmas, or whatever holiday the godless French half of your daughter celebrates.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I expect I will be spending Christmas Eve in the hospital with my aunt Winnie and uncle Melville as they recover from their burns and lung injuries. I got a little Christmas tree and put some presents under it while they were sleeping. When they woke up and saw the tree, I said, "They’re right, …Santa comes when you’re sleeping.” My uncle Melville said, "As long as Santa comes with some pain medication, he can come whenever he wants." I can tell uncle Melville is getting better, when he makes a funny comment like that.

    I had hoped to spend Christmas with Becky McGuire and her parents and Dr. McCaulay and your boyfriend, Gerald; but it looks like I will be here instead. I hope you have a Merry Christmas in your crowded house. You might want to drop by your grandparents' place too, so they don't feel too left out from being uninvited for Christmas.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I read your writings quoting your nisayenh (brother) where he talked about picking up your sleeping nishimis (niece), and how she told your nindoozhim (nephew) about Santa. I would like to tell you things like that do not happen in my friend Susan Dokis' (whom I call Chipper) ningitiziim (parents') house for Christmas. I would like to tell you Chipper's family has completely embraced the ancient ways of the Ojibway, who did not celebrate Christmas. But that would be a lie. Chipper's also has nishimis (nieces) and nindoozhim (nephews) who try to stay up to see Santa, and they have a Christmas tree and Christmas decorations.

    I called up your sister and I said I couldn't wait until the day when I would find one of our children sleeping on the floor waiting to see Santa. Your sister said to me, "Paul. That wouldn't happen until they were old enough to crawl over the fence around the playhouse in the basement, and it would mean the fence wasn't high enough." I was very confused and I asked your sister why we would have a fenced-in playhouse in our basement. She said, "That's the way things are done in the South." That sounded very odd to me. The Ojibway believe in allowing children to play and move about freely unless there is danger. Your sister said, "And that is why they were constantly looking in my windows when I lived in Mtigwaki (Land of Trees). Paul, such behaviour is not acceptable in the South. Children behind fences, are children who are not looking in other people's windows. That's just one more thing you will learn to accept when you 'make the move'." The more I talk to your sister, the more I realize just how different things are there in the South.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    paul, the fenced-in playhouse? that's not the way things r done "in the south"--it's the way things r done in anthony caine's house. his creepy, creepy house.

    howard, that is a gr8 idea abt visiting gramps an' iris on xmas. i think i shd b able 2 sneak out w/out ne1 really noticing. i will also try an' stop by the hospital 4 a bit.

    zeremy, party soundz cube. i mite just hafta sneak out an' c if i can go there. thingz r so crayzee rite now no1 seems 2 notice me much.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home