April's Real Blog

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Oldies for the oldies

After dinner w/Gramps and Iris (during which no1 but me ate the salad), Iris started 2 help Gramps away from the table while saying, "I think Jim needs a rest now, April." Channeling my MOM, I was all, "But we haven't had dessert!" Then I felt embarrassed cuz that was such an Elly Patterson kind of objection. But Iris just went, "That's OK. Y don't U bring yr guitar in2 his room? He luvs 2 hear U play." Once Gramps was tucked in2 his bed, and I was sitting by his side w/my guitar, I went, "NE requests from the audience?" And Iris sed, "Well, sum golden oldies, of course!" And I sed, "Umm--I'll C what I can do." I thot 4 a sec, and then sed, "Here's sumthing from way back in 1985!" And I had a feeling that Iris was behind me looking gobsmacked, and then it occurred 2 me that 1985 is, like, "just yesterday" 2 old foax.

Oh wells. I played "Bring on the Dancing Horses" by Echo and the Bunnymen. Which became even more popular the following yr, when it was featured on the soundtrack of the classic old move, Pretty in Pink. Since I had that soundtrack on my mind, I also played "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" by the Smiths, "Left of Center" by Suzanne Vega, and "Wouldn't it Be Good" by Danny Hutton Hitters.

Then I realized Gramps was asleep, so I tiptoed outta his room. MayB this story will continue in my blog entry Monday, or mayB we go 2 sumthing completely diff. I dunno abt 2morrow, but I accidentally found out that a week from 2morrow is gonna B a boring reminisce from Dad.

Apes

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To you 1985 might be "oldies" but to Iris and your Gramps it's not. It's nostalgia for me - I was only 6 in 1985. This video brings back many memories.

    Maybe you should learn something from the 1940s and 1950s. If you and your band were back together, you could try "modernizing" something by Glenn Miller or Duke Ellington. As long as it's tasteful. Some modern bands have tried modernizing the oldies, and they just end up ruining it.

    I prefer the original artists as much as possible. Some remakes are good. One thing I can't stand is when artists or bands sample oldies into their own songs. Half the time it ruins the original song.

    I prefer the oldies over newer music. I don't just mean "oldies" as in "80s". I mean stuff your parents probably listened to: Journey, Foreigner, Styx, Steve Miller Band, Eagles, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, and several others.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    lol! thanx 4 the vid clip, partickrsghost! 2 funny!

    i've listened 2 sum glenn miller and duke ellington w/my gramps. i can appreci8 that kinda stuff on, like, a technical level, but i admit the whole "big band" thing is not my fave. i prefer my unk phil's taste in jazz. during sum of his visits w/us, he turned me on 2 "cool jazz" stuff, like miles davis, john coltrane, herbie hancock, and chick corea. ooh, which reminds me. unk phil totally promised 2 take me 2 the to jazz fest, l8er this month. i can hardly w8!

    i don't think my 'rents were ever cube enuf 2 listen 2 the stuff u list as "oldies." keep in mind that my dad considered himself kinda "out there" 4 being in2 john denver back in 1979/1980!

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home