April's Real Blog

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Memories of Junk Food

So, as Michael threatened promised, he posted a comment about his family outing to the Farmer's Market yesterday:
April,

Little sis. Sometimes my lovely Deanna gets the strangest ideas in her head, and then she feels the need to inflict them on the rest of the family. What can I do? She is my wife and she does control whether or not I get any. When she really insists on something, sometimes a good husband (like me) knows when to give in. The idea my Deanna had was to take the children to the farmer’s market to teach them about healthy eating and from whence our food comes. When Deanna told me this idea, I had this sudden feeling that Deanna had never actually been to a farm, like you and I have done on our summers to Auntie Bev’s farm in Winnipeg. I said to her, “Deanna, darling. Food does not come from farmers’ market stalls. It comes off plants at farms.” Deanna said, “Michael sometimes you say the funniest things. You crack me up!” This was not the response I had expected, but given Deanna’s mother’s overly protective nature when she was growing up, it seemed like a reasonable response. I said, “No seriously. The food at a farmers’ market comes from farms.” Deanna said, “Michael Patterson. We are going to the farmers’ market and that is that!! And I don’t want you saying anything to the children ridiculous like what you just said to me!!!”

So off to the farmers’ market we went. My daughter had on her new pink child identification collar, and Deanna had on her new psychedelic pants, with the colours that shimmer and change shape as she walks. I had on the standard Patterson men’s garb of V-necked sweater over a collared shirt, so popular with the men (and future men like Anthony Caine) in our family. My son had on a pair of overalls; Deanna wanted him to wear for some reason.

The children were initially afraid of the farmers’ market and eyed it suspiciously. There was a man selling lettuce, and I must admit he was a little too friendly for his own good, because he scared me a too. Next to him was an Egyptian woman selling zucchini. I know she was Egyptian because she had that little square chin the Egyptians had, like King Tut. Finally my daughter found a racial stereotype associated with a vegetable she liked and picked corn from the Latina corn lady. She said, “That lady looks she would be a lady who sells corn.” I said, “And what ethnicity is she?” My daughter said, “Indian. First Nations.” I said, “That’s a very good guess, but she is actually a Latina.” Deanna said, “Mike. We are not here to teach the children about ethnicities. We are here to teach the children where food comes from and about healthy food.” I ignored her and was about to ask my daughter if she knew the ethnicity of the Oriental lady selling honey at The Honey House, but my daughter was interested in other things.

She saw the broccoli and said, “Mom. Vegetables you can play ‘trees’ with. Those wooden ‘trees’ grandpa John gave me left over from his choo-choos broke. I could use these instead.” Deanna was busy picking the corn vegetable my daughter had already chosen, and did not realize what my daughter had said, but when my daughter picked up a broccoli spear and presented it to her by saying, “Look mommy. This end of this vegetable looks like one of my pigtails,” Deanna knew she had to buy it.

Have I mentioned what a good climber my son is these days? I wasn’t looking and he leapt onto my back and grabbed me around the neck. He had a death grip on me, so I grabbed his feet and tried to pull him off. I know most people would think a 2-year-old doesn’t have much arm strength, but that is not the case with my son. He was able to support his whole weight by holding onto my neck for a long time. Not only did my effort to get him off my back fail, but when he saw my daughter with the broccoli, he managed to hold on with just one hand, using the other hand to point to his favorite vegetable in the entire world, carrots; and say the word “Coins” while he was pointing. He is so advanced for his age. He continued climbing until he ended up on my shoulders, with his death grip around my chin. I was afraid he might snap my neck, so when he pointed at the cotton candy, I wanted to jump on the opportunity to get him to release me, but I had to wait for a time when Deanna was not around, since she would not approve of an unhealthy food purchase, even if it meant saving my neck. Fortunately that time came soon afterwards. Deanna broke wind and it was so powerful, not only did she break wind, but she created little whirlwind of gaseous waste materials. She had to excuse herself, and my chance came. I lured my son off my shoulders by telling him he could have any colour cotton candy he wanted.

In the meantime, my daughter learned a new game called, “Pop goes the pumpkin” which was mainly about her hiding in the pumpkins and then popping out sideways from the stack of pumpkins to surprise someone. The pumpkin sales person got tired of this game, and so Deanna ended up buying one of the pumpkins in compensation. When my daughter caught on to the idea that my son was going to get cotton candy, she wanted some too.

When Deanna came back from the little woman’s room, she was not happy to find me buying cotton candy. I told her that the reason I bought the cotton candy was because cotton candy is the part of the trip that they would remember. But as I looked at my son with the 2 tiny, delicate hands, ripping into the cotton candy unmercifully, I thought, “That could have been my head and neck.” My daughter had a much better idea of how to use the cotton candy. She fashioned it into a makeshift blonde beard and was trying to get it to stick to her neck. I predict a career in stage makeup design for her. Deanna was horrified at my suggestion of this career choice.

And that’s the story of our trip. You should come with us next time, but be careful to avoid my son when he is one of his jumping moods.

Love,
Michael Patterson
Mike, if U really believed the cotton candy would be what Merrie an' Robin would remember, did U do it cuz U wanted 2 undo the day's lesson? That wd B kinda mean. But I agree, it's weird that Dee thinx taking the littlez 2 the farmer's market is the way 2 teach them abt where their food comes from. Instead of, say, taking them 2 a farm or orchard.

Apes

15 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. Such odd questions you ask. I thought I made this clear in my message to you. My daughter found a new budding career in stage makeup design, and my son found a more willing target of his tremendously powerful arms in the cotton candy. That is a much better lesson for the day than “food comes from a farmer’s market,” don’t you agree? I tried to convince my lovely Deanna of my farm knowledge from my time at Auntie Bev’s farm, but Deanna was convinced she was right. After all, she is a trained and licenced in “farmer”-cy. Not to worry about my son and daughter’s ignorance of the true nature of food. I am sure that once they are at the right age, they will be shipped over the summer to become cheap labour for Auntie Bev, and learn all about farm life.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i dunno ‘bout u, but if my dad spent the day w/me @the farmer’s market & bought me cotton candy, & he wuzn’t stinkin’ drunk, or hittin’ on slutty ladies sellin’ veggies, i wudn’t care much if i learned ne kinda lesson frum him. it’s strange 4 me 2 say it but, ur bro seemz like he iz a bettah dad than my dad, which isn’t sayin’ much tho.

    neway, zandra larson wunts me 2 talk 2 her uncle arne again, & this tyme w/her & her little bro w/her. i guess she wuzn’t satisfied w/wutevah answer her uncle got frum talkin’ 2 me last tyme. i rilly don’t wanna talk 2 her uncle again, cuz he remindz me 2 much of my dad, but mebbe i can get the money he owez me. i wondah if he respondz 2 cotton candy.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger duncan anderson said…

    Hey, Apes,

    Zed & I r @ the GO station. We r going 2 TO 2 meet up w/ Zed's cousin Enid & Enids creepy bf. I dunno what we r going 2 do Zed hasnt told me yet she says its a surprise. 2 bad the Vatikans closed did u hear its a swingers club now?

    L8r. Im rilly tired 2day. I need 2 get another dbl dbl b4 the train goes.

    MCDunC

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, r u purposely ignoring the whole "learning about healthy eating" part of the outing? cuz if u really thot the cotton candy was gonna b what the kidz remembered, then it's like u were going out of yr way 2 throw away that learning.

    jeremy, no offense, but u pretty much think ne dad who's not abusive is a better dad than yrs.

    dunc, nope, i hadn't heard abt vatikan turning in2 a swinger's club. ick, what a waste. let us know what happs, eh?

    apes

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. Are you my little sis or my wife? I had to listen to that lecture all the way home. My kids wanted cotton candy. I bought them cotton candy. Now, they can’t wait to go back to the farmer’s market again. You think they would remember the farmer’s market after having corn, broccoli, carrots and pumpkin for dinner? They’ve been eating carrot coins forever. But now, thanks to them remembering the cotton candy, they want to go back to the farmers’ market where they can learn even more about healthy eating.

    It’s frustrating being a husband sometimes, because your wife insists everything is done exactly her way and no other way is right. You know how mom is with dad and towel-folding and dishwasher loading. Deanna has been complaining for months I need to spend more time with the kids, and then when I do, I don’t do it right. Ease up, little sis. You’re too young to turn into a wife.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    oh, so "wife" is, like, an insult? dee wd prolly b v. interested 2 know that, eh?

    hey, i don't mean 2 harsh on u having a fun outing w/yr fam, it just sounding like u were making a pt of going against dee's planz 4 the day.

    apes

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    The story Mike told confused me because Mom always tells me that a wife rules over the kids and gets to make the rules of the house and the husband just has to go along or get a coffee mug to the head, but when Mom heard about Mike's trip to the farmer's market she told me he is the best father ever, so I asked her, how can he be the best father if he didn't listen to the rules his wife made, shouldn't he get a coffee mug to the head?

    Well Mom thought about it for awhile and then she said that there is an exception to the "wife is in charge" rule and that is when the husband is Mike, I asked why Mike got to be the exception and she said there are a few reasons and this is the list she gave me:

    1. Mike was born a Patterson, that makes him more right than a non-Patterson woman.

    2. Mike is a delicate genius and has to have things his way and be told he's right all the time or it will stunt his muse, I had to ask Mom how to spell "muse" because I don't know what that is exactly, I was going to spell it "mews."

    3. Deanna is a stupid blonde beauty queen, fish-lipped twit who used her (bad name for woman parts) to trap Mike into marrying her when he clearly deserved better than a Sobinski, and then Mom said something like "why did he marry that (bad name for a woman who takes money for doing sex stuff) when he had a perfectly lovely Patterson cousin he could marry, even if she is a little mannish.

    I guess that cleared up some of my confusion I mean I'm not sure I understand all that stuff about marrying cousins and the "muse" but if Mom does then it makes sense and that's good enough for me.

    Liz

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    omg, mom is sick! i can't believe she sed all thoze mean thingz abt dee. or that she thot it wda been a good idea 4 mike 2 marry his, like, cousin! ew!

    i'm on my way 2 the bathroom 2 retch. i hope u weren't planning 2 have a bubble bath.

    apes

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. You seem to be having a difficult time understanding your siblings today. I know you are 15 years old, and everyone knows your physical development is somewhat behind that (but we don’t talk about it behind your back too much), and judging from what you have written today, I guess your mental development is too. As the Lizardbreath tried to explain to you, "wife" is not an insult. It is more like a rank in the Patterson hierarchy, which is:
    1. Patterson grandmother
    2. Patterson grandfather
    3. Patterson mother
    4. Patterson father
    5. Married Patterson woman
    6. Married Patterson man
    7. Unmarried Patterson woman dating her childhood sweetheart
    8. Unmarried Patterson man dating his childhood sweetheart
    9. Unmarried Patterson woman dating someone other than her childhood sweetheart.
    10. Unmarried Patterson man dating someone other than his childhood sweetheart.
    11. A non-Patterson who is a Patterson’s childhood sweetheart.
    12. A non-Patterson.
    As you can see from the list, you would rank below Deanna, so “wife” is not an insult. If anything “little unmarried sis” would be an insult, except no one expects you to be married, because you are too young to be a wife and should stop acting like one. And as mom tried to explain through Liz to you, because I am a creative giant in writing, I do get an exception clause that allows me to outrank my wife. It is the same exception clause that allows mom, as a woman who was not born a Patterson to outrank dad, due to her fabulous outlining skills and creative photography. Rest assured though, even I did not get a coffee mug to the head, my lovely Deanna has ways of making sure I am punished for doing things that defy her will.

    As for me and my cousin, that is a subject which you are clearly not in the right mind to hear, if you are busy retching. However, it should make sense to you that a mother would want the best choice for her son, and a Patterson woman should outrank any other woman as a choice. This is a caveat of which I am sure you must be aware, since you managed to get and maintain a boyfriend ever since you were 11 years old. However, with respect to me and my gorgeous cousin, things did not work out. I still married my childhood sweetheart, so whatever problems mom has with Deanna, she cannot deny that I did marry a woman who outranks a total stranger.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, my mental development is not behind. u were definitely using "wife" as a putdown when u were telling me that i'm 2 yung 2 turn in2 a wife. u were obvs using it sumthing like "don't b a nag". now u r trying 2 weasel yr way out of that by pretending i'm stupid and don't understand patterson hierarchies. it's not like i've never seen mom's flowcharts, duh.

    since u put down my intelligence like that, i hope dee really, really, really punishes u. in a way that gets thru yr thick, thick, head. stupid.

    apes

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    I think you are wrong about Dee outranking April, she is a non-Patterson, the way Mom explained it to me is that if you married into the family before September 1979, you count as a Patterson or a Richards, but if you marry in afterwards, you are in the list below, also, Mom says being a Richards is actually better than being a Patterson, in her opinion, but that in the Treaty of 1979, was agreed that Pattersons and Richardses would agree that they were each as good as each other and better than everyone else, she says if April was getting any kind of decent education she would have learned about the Richards-Patterson Accord in school.

    Also Mom says a woman can always temporarily outrank a man by using nagging, bossiness, and moodiness to her advantage, but here are the basic rules, if I understand what Mom explained:

    1. Richards or Patterson mother. A grandmother is a mother who has a daughter who is a mother so she will usually outrank a mother unless the grandmother has cancer or is dead or is intimidating like Grandma Marian, so she gets points off and Mom is still the boss.

    2. Richards father. Mom says that even after the Richards-Patterson Accord Richards fathers get better treatment than Patterson fathers, Patterson dads either get coffee cups to the head and (bad word for girl parts that Mom used before about Dee)-whipped or they get forgotten on a prairie, but a Richards father gets to have his every word hung on like it's really important even when he's just being rude, we all have to cater to him.

    3. Patterson father. Mainly they get to outrank everyone else because they are the head of the household and sometimes they make a lot of money as dentists, or are delicate geniuses, or they are a farmer.

    4. Married Patterson or Richards daughter. Hopefully the person doesn't stay in this position too long because it is better to be a mother, being married with no kids is selfish and unnatural.

    6. Married Patterson or Richards son. Uncle Phil is in this category because he married Aunt Georgia who Mom says is a frigid (bad word for a woman) who would not do her duty and give Phil kids because she is too selfish and interested in her job.

    7. Cute Patterson or Richards children under age 12. If you are cute you can get away with a whole lot and the whole world gets to revolve around you, I kind of remember this from when April was a kid.

    8. Unmarried Patterson or Richards daughter dating her childhood sweetheart. Mom says April actually outranks me because of this, which is funny I said to Mom because she treats me way better than April, but Mom says that's because she's trying to convince me to move into this category, which is confusing.

    9. Unmarried Patterson or Richards son dating his childhood sweetheart. This was Mike when he was dating Dee, he suddenly lost all the goofy obnoxiousness that used to annoy Mom at this point, he became her golden boy.

    10. Unmarried Patterson or Richards daughter dating someone other than her childhood sweetheart. This is me, when I heard this I started to cry but Mom said not to worry, if I hurry up and get married, "just pick anybody, we'd be happy with anybody at this point!" I can move up the list.

    11. Unmarried Patterson or Richards son dating someone other than his childhood sweetheart. This is why it was so important to get Uncle Phil to marry somebody already, he was way too low on the totem pole.

    12. Non-Patterson or Richards married to a Patterson or a Richards. This is Dee and Aunt Georgia and Uncle Danny, they should be happy to make it on the totem pole at all Mom says, especially when they don't give the Patterson or Richards babies (then Mom said "cough cough that (bad word) Georgia").

    13. A non-Patterson or Richards who is a Patterson’s/Richards's childhood sweetheart. This is Anthony, Mom says it would be nice if he could move up in the world.

    14. A non-Patterson/Richards who borrows money from a Patterson or Richards and is grateful forever. This is Gordo and Lawrence, that is why they get such good treatment.

    15. A non-Patterson/Richards. This is like the untouchables in India Mom says.

    I'm so glad I moved home, I am learning so much about family history!

    Liz

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    liz, mom sed that when mike was in high school and u were in middle school, she tried 2 get the richards-patterson accord added 2 the mboro school system's curricula, but they wdn't do it, even when she organized special subcommittees abt having it added. she sed that by the time i got 2 high school, she had given up on that "foolish place".

    apes

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth,

    I spoke with mom and she confirmed everything you said about our family hierarchy. I guess I have to say something that I don’t think I have said to you in a long time, or perhaps forever.

    You are right. I was wrong.

    I have noticed that you have been thinking more and more clearly since you have returned to Milborough, where you belong. I am really happy you are living with April now. I don’t know if you have noticed, but she seems to be behind for her age on understanding our family history and place in society. She actually thinks the idea that “a wife is a nag” is a putdown. It’s like she hasn’t paid any attention to all the things mom has been trying to teach. She needs your help. I have been trying to tell her, but maybe she just needs the sisterly touch to get through to her.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Wow, your compliment means a lot to me, but really I just wrote down what Mom told me, I'm glad I got it all right though, it was a tricky lesson, and I wasn't sure I got it all right, but I must have, I'm so excited.

    I agree with you that April is having some kind of emotional problems, but really I don't think it's so weird, after all we were not very good Pattersons at that age either, we still had our stupid little dreams remember, and I'm sure at her age I totally wouldn't have understood that a wife being a nag is a higher calling to aspire to and not an insult. Don't worry, she is going to learn that lesson, Mom is having me embroider a pillow with this saying on it:

    A Wife Will Nag
    As Sure As
    The Sun Will Rise
    It's God's Eleventh Commandment

    It was supposed to be for my hope chest but since I'm not engaged yet I think I will give it to April for Christmas as a reminder and I will do another one for myself later, she needs it more than I do, that girl has problems, just today she told me she was having doubts about her relationship with Gerald and when I tried to talk to her about it she actually said she didn't want to hear me talk about marriage because she's only 15 and it's too soon to think about that. I mean, that's crazy, so I'm also going to show her the little sampler Mom embroidered me for my bedroom wall:

    A Childhood Sweetheart in the Hand
    Is Worth a Policeman and a Pilot in the Bush

    I'm not sure what that means but Mom said it was a good lesson for anyone who thinks they don't need to be lining up a husband already, by the way, have you been thinking about finding Merry a childhood sweetheart?

    But your best compliment of all was when you didn't call me Lizardbreath.

    Liz

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth,

    Big sis. I love mom’s embroidery. We have a lovely pillow which says:

    Back of every achievement is a proud wife and mother, and a surprised mother-in-law.
    ---Brook Hays


    You asked me if I have been thinking about finding Merry a childhood sweetheart? I had to ask Deanna who Merry was, and she said it was my daughter. So, the answer to your question is “Yes.” My daughter is developing quite a relationship with our sitter, Ardith Narayan’s boy Dweezil. Deanna is correcting me. She tells me the boy’s name is Keeeveeen. That’s pretty close to Dweezil, I think. It’s very difficult to remember kid’s names. My son is developing a childhood romance with Ardith Narayan’s daughter, Karen. Deanna is correcting me. She tells me the girl’s name is Care-Isss. Weird. Anyway, don’t worry about my kids. Their childhood sweethearts are already set.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home