April's Real Blog

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mike's L8est Pun

So, U will remember that Liz visited Mike @ his and Dee's apartment a coupla nites ago. Mike decided 2 post a comment telling the next bit of that story:
April,

Little sis. While Deanna is recharging her batteries from our 5th anniversary “couple time”, I thought I would take the time to finish my story about Elizabeth’s visit to us, which I started yesterday.

After Elizabeth had drunk all our wine, she was in our kitchen, with her body propped up on the counter, so she could stand without falling down. Deanna came in and said to me, “If son cries for food, Deanna gets up with son.” I started to help with his bottle, but you know how fumble-fingered I am. I’m a writer, not a baby bottle maker, after all. After I squirted most of my son’s formula over the counter by the stove, Deanna brought in our son and said, “If Mike is a fumble-fingered idiot, then Deanna takes over the feeding.”

Well, while all this was going on, Elizabeth started into what can only be described as the typical drunken love rant. You know the kind, where the drunk tries to convince herself that leaving the beloved was the right thing to do. And then the drunk’s speech is filled full of ellipses as she gets slower…and slower…and slower. Elizabeth was right on form when she said, “I miss Paul. I know I made the right decision to leave the north…but…I miss him so much.”

Then Deanna said something I was not expecting. She said, “Has he applied for a transfer to Toronto?” as she was holding our son on the kitchen counter so he could eat and not hurtle to the floor. I think Deanna must have momentarily been interesting what Elizabeth was saying, but she soon returned to her regular way of doing things. After Elizabeth answered her question with, “I think so. He certainly talks about it.”, Deanna walked off with our son contentedly in her capable arms, which was probably a smart thing to do. I wish I had followed her. I was forced to actually try and understand what Elizabeth was saying. What did she mean, “I think so.”? Is she suggesting that her boyfriend would talk and talk about getting a transfer and then lie about doing it? What purpose would that serve? More long phone conversations with Elizabeth? The way she was incoherently rambling, I seriously doubted that. If he doesn’t plan to get the transfer, then he has essentially ended the relationship and if he had any sense he would also end the phone conversations. If he has applied for the transfer, why does Elizabeth doubt him?

I was contemplating these things, when Elizabeth switched gears again and started talking about her boyfriend before this one, Warren Blackwood. I thought, “Kill me now. I have to listen to my sister compare her boyfriends to each other…again. Weren’t we done with this conversation back in December?” As a dutiful brother I listened to her as she said, “When Warren and I broke up, I promise myself-no more long-distance relationship!...And here I am, in another long distance relationship.” April, as you may recollect, Warren Blackwood was the boyfriend who wasn’t a boyfriend who never was a boyfriend. He made quite an impression on you at Elizabeth’s university graduation by buzzing the crowd with his helicopter, but after that…nothing. As mom would say about Warren, “A couple of platonic dates in university, with no contact for a 1 ½ years after that, does not a boyfriend make. Anthony Caine sees her more often than that.” As usual mom was right about Warren. However, I couldn’t take any more of this pity party. Cheeze. I love my sister Elizabeth, but there are two things about her I can do without. (1) Her incoherent rambling when she’s drunk. (2) Her complaining about long distance relationships when it is so obvious what she is about. When she graduated university, if she didn’t want a long distance relationship with her non boyfriend Warren, she should have moved to British Columbia where he worked and not that place in Northwest Ontario, whatever it was called, where she was for the last 2 years. If she didn’t want a long distance relationship with her constable boyfriend, she shouldn’t have moved to Milborough. And the one she failed to mention was, if she didn’t want a long distance relationship with Anthony Caine, she shouldn’t have gone to school in Nipissing, but stayed local. After all, Deanna and I both went to Western and we turned out great.

Then I had a stroke of Michael genius—a sure fire way to get me out of that painful conversation. A pun. And the best part is that unlike most of my puns which only have 2 meanings, this one had 3. I said, “Oh well. You know what they say: ‘Absence makes the heart go wander.’” You see, April. It’s normally ‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder, Isle of Beauty, fare thee well!’ from Thomas Haynes Bayly’s Isle of Beauty. That’s meaning number #1. But because I reversed the meaning to its opposite with a clever rhyme. “Grow fonder” becomes “Go wander.” And by reversing it, it could mean that her constable, if he is truly not trying to get a transfer, may be out with other women, like what Warren and Anthony did when Elizabeth was a long distance from them. Or it could mean that Elizabeth herself is wandering into the arms of one Anthony Caine, which I think many people suspect, since she spent a lot of time with him recently talking about her court case.

I had also thought about, “Absence makes the heart go blonder”, which would work if her constable was interested in blondes. But where he is living there are probably not many of those. Or “Absence makes the heart ‘go yonder’, or ‘go ponder’, or ‘love squandered’ or ‘Andean condor’, but none of those others were as good. Anyway, I thought it was pretty clever with the 3 meanings, but not that funny. Elizabeth agreed with me and stretched her upper lip to a frightening degree to say, “That’s not funny!!!” I said, “Sorry.” But I wasn’t really sorry, I was so glad I found a way to get out. With Elizabeth behind me, her eyes half-closed and her mouth twisted and no doubt close to passing out, I escaped from the hideous conversation, thanks once again, to my fine punning ability.

Let this be a lesson to you April. First you pun, and then you run.

Love,
Michael Patterson
I don't agree w/Mike that often, but this time I've gotta say he's rite 2 point out that Liz made all these choices that led 2 "long-distance relationships", and now she's acting like these were just things that happened 2 her. Weird. I really don't get that. Mike, as 4 that other comment, where U ask me Y I'd wanna change Dee, U R making my head hurt, cuz U R the one who changed her, and now U R being all "let Dee be who she is". Y cdn't U have let her B who she WAS? Hey, ppl, can NE1 out there help me get Mike 2 understand Y The Stepford Wives is a tale of misogyny (vocab word!) and not "loving women"? Cuz I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick-and- stucco wall.

Howard, Becks, wow, that journey U guyz had thru the central vac in2 an alternate reality? Wow, I had no idea. I'll bet altenate-reality Mom is a lot nicer, 2, eh? U prolly wondered what happened on this end. I heard Liz screeching, "Soft-bellied Howard! What are U DOING here?" And then I saw this version of Howard who had obviously not taken up weightlifting, and he was all, "Darling, U know U can't drink in yr condition!" Then he saw that this Liz didn't have his Beth's "condition", and she obvs didn't luv him, and she didn't have a wedding ring. He asked Liz a buncha questions abt what happened in our reality last yr, but Liz was 2 busy chasing after Shiims to answer. So I told him the whole going-after story, and Liz going back 2 Mtig, dealing w/the "going after" in her "own way", meeting Paul, moving back here, the subpoena, blah, blah, blah. And he shook his head and said, "That is so very sad." Then he asked, "Where's my lovely future brother-in-law Duncan?" I was, like, "Wha? Dunc and I R just friends. I'm d8ing Gerald Delaney Forsythe. " And he was like "The special-needsist boy? U haven't dumped him yet?" Then Liz kinda passed out, and Shiimsa ran up to alt-reality Howard and jumped into his arms, and he was all, "Well, this is my cue to go back where I came from, strange, alternate April!" And he was gone.

Apes

12 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Did you let darling, innocent Elizabeth drive home last night after all that drinking?!?

    I was at your Undisclosed Neighborhood in Toronto for reasons of my own last night, and eventually got cold and hungry so I went to Tim Hortons. When I happened to pass by your place afterwards, I saw that Elizabeth's cute little car was gone.

    I hurried back to Milborough and to my horror about 16km outside of town I saw a little car that looked just like the one we sold Elizabeth off the road in a school playground and plowed into a tree. There was a Ontario Provincal Police car there, but I didn't see Elizabeth, just the officer sitting in the back seat of his car. I think he was listening to music becase he was sort of dancing.

    For reasons I don't want to go into I'm persona non grata with pretty much ever Canadian law enforcement agency, so I didn't dare approach and ask. I couldn't make out the license plate from that distance, unfortunately.

    I went home and gave the kid my extra donuts for breakfast, then called your mom as soon as I dared. She claimed that Elizabeth was "Sleeping, sleeping very deeply indeed," and coudn't come to the phone. Then she started going on about how the pets threw up all over the foyer and left underwear on the doorknob. Your mom sure likes to talk about pets or housecleaning rather than important stuff!

    Anyway, April, I'm begging you, can you go in and make sure Liz is okay?

    Worriedly,

    Anthony Caine

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    anthony, u r confused again. liz did not go 2 mike's last nite. she went 2 mike's the nite b4 last. try 2 remember that it takes pattersons a long time 2 tell a story, so, like, i mite start telling u all sumthing on a monday which mayB happed that day. then tuesday, i'll still b talking abt the day b4, so don't b all thinking it's a new tuesday story. then wednesday? still talking abt monday, not a whole new wednesday thing. lather, rinse, repeat 4 thursday through saturday. then on sunday, i'll talk abt sumthing completely diff, then monday i mite even continue telling u all abt the stuff fr. a week b4, or i mite start a diff story, it all depends on how slowly the other story comes out. pls try 2 keep that str8, eh?

    so, neway, the car u saw musta been sum1 else's. i'm not sure how liz got home the other nite, but i can tell u, she spent most of the day (yesterday) in bed w/a terrible hangover (after the principal sent her home). she didn't go newhere last nite, she totally wasn't up 2 it!

    i'm sure she's lots better 2day, but she's got the "do not disturb" sign on the doorknob of the guest room, so i can't check up on her rite now.

    apes

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    btw, anthony, 2morrow morning, i m gonna write abt sumthing that happed yesterday evening, when i 1st got home after working @ lilliput's. i 4got 2 write abt it here cuz there was so much else going on, but it's gonna b 2morrow's non-sequitur post. when u read it, pls try an' pay attention 2 the fact that it's gonna b sumthing that happed FRIDAY, as in sept. 15, ok? ok.

    apes

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anthony,

    Of course we didn’t let Elizabeth drive home from our place in her inebriated condition. My darling Deanna, after dealing with our children, went to Elizabeth and said, “If Elizabeth’s blood-alcohol level is above 0.08, then Deanna will stop Elizabeth from leaving.” I don’t know how Deanna was able to determine Elizabeth’s blood-alcohol level, but she is a professional pharmacist, so I am sure she knows some way to do it. Believe me, a Patterson would never drink and drive. We might speed on a highway with two unrelated teenage boys, but we would never drink and drive. There are some lines a Patterson cannot cross.

    Personally, I had a great 5th anniversary with my beautiful wife, who is very loving, and is not the slightest bit misogynistic (contrary to what April keeps saying) and when she is really plugged in to her life, she has enough energy to satisfy her husband and children, keep the apartment clean and make enough carrot coins to feed a small army. If you ever get married Anthony, you are going to love it, or your money back.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    mike, it's like u r trying really, really hard 2 misunderstand. U r the misogynistic one, not dee. how is it poss that this was not clear?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    apes

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Dee is over at my house right now while Mike and Weed are watching the kids as only they can. Dee and I are laughing are butts off. Will fill you in with details soon, but we need to use our time to devise the next phase of our plan.

    Carleen

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I read your nindawemaa (brother’s) writings about my sweet girl during her visit with him. I am like your sister, I gwiinawenim (miss) her very much. I have not seen her since the beginning of July, and it is the longest time I have been away from your sister since we first started dating last year. There was one thing your nindawemaa (brother) said your sister said which confused me. Back in December, when I met Warren Blackwood, it was a big surprise to me. I thought I would be taking your sister to meet my parents as the girl in my life, but then she told me Warren was flying her home in his helicopter. First I was surprised I didn’t know your sister had another guy than me. Then I was surprised she couldn’t take the time to meet my ningitiziim (parents). It was the worst holidays I have had in a long time. My ningitiziim (parents) asked me so many questions about why Elizabeth had left in the helicopter and did not stop to visit.

    I remember your sister told me I shouldn’t worry about the competition between me and Warren because she hadn’t seen him in over a year, since his job had him flying out west in British Columbia. When she came back to Mtigwaki (Land of Trees), she told me she had picked me (the policeman) over the helicopter pilot, which didn’t make sense because she had told me there was no competition. But in the writings today, your nindawemaa (brother) said your sister broke up with Warren, which means the almost 2 months when I was first dating your sister last year, she was thinking Warren was her boyfriend and not me, even though she hadn’t seen him in over a year. I would like to tell you this did not hurt my feelings, but it did.

    Even though I know your sister promised herself no more long distance relationships, I can understand why she needed to break that promise to move home. My friend Susan Dokis, whom I call Chipper, has told me every day she deals with a problem at the Mtigwaki (Land of Trees) school, she realizes your sister did not belong in Mtigwaki (Land of Trees), but someplace far away. Chipper is usually right and so is your sister. She made the right decision to leave the north.

    What makes me worried is now I am the Warren Blackwood in your sister’s life. I am the boyfriend my sweet girl never sees, but still thinks I am her boyfriend, until some other man who lives closer to her starts dating her. If it goes too long before I see her again, then when I do see her again, she will break up with me. I know your sister plans to see me at niibaanamom (Christmas). I hope that is not too long. I don’t want to be another Warren with your sister.

    The other thing your nindawemaa (brother) said which bothered me was “Absence makes the heart go wander.” I can tell you right now, my heart is not wandering away from my sweet girl. No matter where I am, it is still with her. Right now, it is on a hiking trail around Lake Nipigon, which is close to Mtigwaki (Land of Trees) taking a break from hiking and setting up camp and writing to you. I had some time off between shifts (I never seem to get enough time off to visit your sister), and Chipper invited me to go hiking and camping with her. Being with Chipper reminds me a lot of being with your sister, except my heart is with your sister and not wandering around.

    In case anyone else in your family asks, my transfer in the Ontario Provincial Police is from the Northwest Division to the Highway Safety Division under the Field and Traffic Services Command. It is not as easy to get a transfer in the OPP from division to division and most people in the OPP want to live in Toronto. Just because it has been 3 ½ months since I applied for my transfer, does not mean I did not apply. I wouldn’t talk it about so much with my sweet girl, if I did not apply. That wouldn’t make any sense. I talk to your sister all the time and I want to be there with her, even while I am here hiking with Chipper.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. I don’t know why you insist on calling me names. Sheilagh Shaughnessy tells me I am definitely not misogynistic. Perhaps you are getting the word confused with other words that sound like it. For example, the word massage-on-istic. This could be a reasonable accusation. I do like to get a fine massage, particularly one from my beloved Deanna or Josef Weeder. But if you were thinking of miss-all-gymnastic, I must admit I am not much into gymnastics, and I don’t miss it.

    One of the things I love about my Deanna, since I am a man who loves women after all, is that she lets me have time to spend with my friend who knows me so well that conversation just isn't necessary, Josef Weeder. During these times Josef’s “woman” Carleen and my “woman” Deanna spend time with each other, sharing information and getting needed maintenance. We sat on the porch together and watched the kids play superhero games. My children are so good at jumping off walls, large piles of bricks, and out of trees; it is amazing. They would make good real-life superheroes someday.

    Lovey Saltzman stopped by and asked me how I was enjoying her lamp. I said I was keeping it polished and I kept asking the genie in the lamp for its story. Lovey said, “Oy. What a schmendrick.” I just love her quaint expressions. Perhaps you should learn some words from Lovey, and that way you wouldn’t misuse the word misogynistic so often.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    Let me see if I can help you out. You want help to get your brother Mike to understand why The Stepford Wives is a tale of misogyny and not "loving women". I think I would have to disagree with you there. I think of The Stepford Wives as a feminist thriller. It takes the 1950’s stereotype of the “perfect woman” and turns it into a malevolent concept, in order to make a cogent, if not subtle commentary on the reaction of men to the early women's liberation movement. It has suspense, science fiction, horror and social commentary. If your brother is emulating the The Stepford Wives, then it would be a vast improvement over the dreck he normally writes. And of course the most recent movie version of the The Stepford Wives had gay icon Bette Midler in it as a plus.

    Sorry, I guess that is not going to be much help. I am having a relaxing day today. Since I am going to get fired next month from being Becky’s housekeeper after your sister puts me in prison, I have lost my motivation to clean everything spotless. I can see a few spots on things, and it is driving me crazy, but it is worth it for the revenge. I just wonder when someone else will notice how dirty things are.

    My lawyer, checked to see if the people in Milborough have increase their positive view of me since I have been making appearances pretending to prepare to get married to Marjee Mahaha, and the answer essentially was “no.” However, the number of people requesting conjugal visits for me at the prison, after I get there, is even higher than before. At least I won’t be lonely in prison.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Why would your brother say: “Absence makes the heart go wander.” to your sister? It makes it sound like her boyfriend is going to wander away from her. That’s mean. I know, because I have a problem with wandering away from people, as you know.

    After reading your Blog about your brother and sister this week, it makes me proud you are the nicest girl in Milborough. You are so nice, and you do not have any examples for being nice. That makes you even nicer, I think.

    Love,
    Shannon Lake

     
  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i gotta say i’ll nevah unnerstan’ ur sis or ur bro. frum wut u rite ‘bout them, i am rilly glad i don’t have ne siblingz, xxcept future sis, cuz she iz rilly cube & she iz not rilly my sis, yet.

    this weekend i have been spendin’ doin’ all the homework i didn’t get 2 do cuz i got kidnapped & got betrothed to rebeccah n the dominican republic. i think it iz also cuz my mom kinda wants me 2 not spend netime w/rebeccah. she duzn’t trust her or her dad, who keeps callin’ 2 ask mom out. i told mom that if eva callz, i wud like 2 talk 2 her ‘bout everythin’ that happed. mom sed she wud b v.v. surprized if eva wunted 2 have nethin’ 2 do w/me & so far she haz been 100% correct. it stinks 2b me. i hope ur havin’ a bettah weekend than i am.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    howard, yeah, u r rite about the stepford wives, but what i was trying 2 say, & i guess it just wasn't coming out well, is that the husbands in the movie & book rn't "loving" 2 their wives. they r h8ful and controlling and, well, misogynistic. don't u agree?

    i m sorry yr lawyer'z plan w/marjee is not going as hoped. but i guess not b-ing lonely in prison wd help.

    shannon, that's a v. nice thing 4 u 2 say!

    paul, the thing liz sed 2 mike abt having broken up w/warren confused me, cuz she has alwayz sed that she and warren never d8ed, let alone b-coming bf/gf. she sed they were, like, attracted 2 ea other, but that nothing ever came of it. 1st it was cuz liz was all getting over eric cheating on her. l8r it was cuz warren was gonna b 2 far away. hth?

    jeremy, funny u shd mention h'work, cuz that's gonna play a big part in 2morrow morning's post. if u can't get thru 2 eva, i'd b glad 2 share notes an' stuff.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home