April's Real Blog

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Mike Dithers

When Dad an' I got back from walking the doggies the other day, we found Mike loading the dishwasher in the kitchen (shock!) and suggested he buy the Stibbs house (aka teeny-tiny train house). He totally went in2 soap-opera mode while dithering over this decision all melodrama-like. Here's what he posted l8 last nite:
April,

Little sis. Life is full of choices and those choices tell you what kind of person you are. For example, when my lovely wife Deanna picked up a new shampoo called Orange Sections, I told her it would probably make her hair from the back look like it was a peeled orange waiting to be split into sections. But Deanna chose not to believe me, and sure enough every time I look at the back of her head, I get a sudden craving for citrus.

Or another example, when I was washing clothes and I decided to squirt a little shot of bleach at the Lizardbreath’s cat and the bleach went right into where I was washing my green turtle-neck, I realized I had made a choice for feline aggression which might make me pay with my fashion sense. When my green shirt developed a mysterious white line around the sleeves and the waist, I said to myself, “If anyone asks, I will just say, ‘colourist error’.” In reality I know it was because of a choice I made.

Years ago when my mother-in-law offered to buy a house for me and Deanna in Burlington, near where they live, I made the choice to turn her down, because I knew I wanted Deanna and me to earn our first house ourselves. I was so confident I had made the right decision. I knew how mom and dad felt about giving monetary gifts, when it was not a business investment. I thought to myself, “My father and mother would never, ever offer to buy me a house or even to help me buy a house. They would sooner have me getting my food from a soup kitchen.”

Then when I had to lay someone off at Portrait Magazine, I made the choice to lay myself off. I thought it was better to sacrifice myself, even though without a salary it would nearly impossible for Deanna and me to qualify for a home loan. It was worth it to know that the jobs of my fellow Portrait employees had been saved by me sticking to my moral center. It was a choice I was glad to make, and showed the world exactly how a Patterson deals with a moral crisis.

Then when dad said to me, “We could help you with the mortgage, son!---I’ll tell you what—Why don’t you two sleep on it.” I was filled with a sense of wonder, sense of shock, and a sense that my father had been taken over by aliens. What choice should I make? Should I stick by sense of Patterson right and wrong, which says I should do it myself? Or should I take advantage of an offer my father made when he was clearly affected mentally by the dog-walking?

But then I thought more carefully about it. That mortgage is going to have some stipulations. I suspect I will have to turn the yard over to my father’s trains. I suspect that dad wants me to buy the house, because he couldn’t convince mom to buy it and he wants to use me to get around her.

I suspect that you stood in the kitchen talking to me like I was some schoolgirl with your “What do you think? It’s the cutest little house an’ it’s just down the street! You could buy it an’ we could be neighbo(u)rs!” Now it’s painfully obvious, this is just a ploy by you to get us out of your room and get you of out of the storage closet where you sleep. Both you and dad are pushing an idea which is just like the one Mira Sobinski offered me. Having Deanna and me and the kids in the house since Christmas Eve has stretched the two of you so far, you are willing to sacrifice your Patterson money ethic to get us out of the house. Shame on you both.

Now the question stands before me: Do I make the choice to sacrifice my Patterson money ethic too, or do I stand up for my beliefs and turn down dad’s offer? Deanna and I lay in bed and I had planned to discuss it with her, but there was this thing on the ceiling which was too distracting. Maybe tomorrow.

Love,
Michael Patterson
C Becks, it mite happen! Oh, and Mike? I'm boycotting yr comments again. Cuz I told U I'd do that if U didn't stop calling the rec room a "storage closet" and there U go doing it again. What IS yr prob, NEway? Y R U so insensitive?

Apes

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    k, just gotta say, i did NOT close off my letter w/"see you in mad a gas car!" I wrote it "madagascar" and mom decided that just wasn't punny enuf an' got steph 2 change it. ick.

    apes

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    apes,

    u of all peeps should no that nothing is final 'til jelly has her say. an' jelly is gonna say that dee needs a sewing room, just like every good li'l woman.

    becks

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    For once I totally agree with Becky, Mom will never let Mike and Dee and the precious little grandbabies move into that yucky little house, it's no place to raise kids, that's why Mom and Dad and you will move there, it only makes sense, also, everyone knows a good wife sews, it's just a fact, I can't wait to be a good wife, that is why I am seeing Warren again, it's totally not a relationship, but this way I know I have a backup husband still, because you probably have heard, I have to get married before the end of the year, Mom says so, which is really a relief, if you read my letter, all the stuff I want in a apartment is really not apartment-type stuff, like a washer/dryer and no noisy neighbors, what I really want is a house, but a single woman never guys a house, she waits to get married first, or a man will think you don't need him, so this is how I know I'm ready to get married, the thing about how coming home to little kids at the end of the day makes me grouchy is a bit of a problem, how could I be married with kids then, but Mom pointed out all helpful-like that I will just quit my job, and she's right, as usual, so I'm all ready for a diamond ring, any time now, boys.

    Liz

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April, sometimes I just really can't believe that fiancé-stealing sister of yours. Now she's casually dating Warren and not ready for a relationship. When I was ready to marry this guy! Well, I guess I must have made Warren up. Everything I thought was going to happen with him was just a fantasy. Wait a minute, scratch that. That's completely ridiculous.

    Marjee

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    liz, sumtymez when u have these moments of agreeing w/becky, i have this weird feeling, like u an' becks r really the same person! but then i just lie down until the feeling passes.

    apes

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. When you are a married man, you grow accustomed to those little signals your wife gives you that allows you to communicate nonverbally. For example, when my wife Deanna really wants something, she touches me. And I don’t mean the naughty touching you are thinking about. I mean, little touches on the arm, or on the shoulder, or she will hug me from behind. Those are the sort of touches you take for granted during your courtship years, but once you are married you find they magically disappear until the moment comes when your wife is trying to persuade you of something. Of course, by then most husbands have gone so crazy from the lack of physical contact they would do almost anything for their wife. Those men however, do not know what I know, which is, postpone giving your wife what she wants for as long as possible. That way she will keep on touching you.

    For example, after dad unloaded the bombshell that he would help us buy a house, Deanna and I were lying awake in bed staring at that thing you have on the ceiling which says, “ANGRA MAINYU was here!!”, when I said to Deanna, “I ‘ve just quit my job, Deanna. We can’t buy a house now!” Deanna had her arms around her pillow, their usual place, and said, “We have your advance, our savings---and my job is secure.”

    We’ve been through this argument several times before. Once we pay taxes on my advance, there might be $15,000 left and our savings amounts to $20,000. A total of $35,000. That’s not enough for closing costs and a 10% down payment on a house in Milborough, where the minimum house price is somewhere around $400,000. There are less expensive houses in the suburbs of Toronto, but Deanna refuses to live there, so that only leaves the option of renting, which does not require a substantial downpayment, and then trying to save up more money to afford the place Deanna wants. Although my father offered to help us with the mortgage, I know dad well enough from his financial dealings with Gordon Mayes and Lawrence Poirier, any money he gave us for a down payment would come at a heavy price. I only borrowed $1000 from mom for 3 months back in 2003, and I paid a heavy price in public humiliation from that.

    Deanna persisted though and said, “We can’t live with your parents and keep looking at apartments!—A house is a good investment!” Then she let go of the pillow and she touched my arm. The electric thrill of a feminine touch jolted through me. When had I last felt it? When I got my advance? When I quit my job? I wasn’t sure, but I could feel myself weaken. The obvious answer to Deanna’s argument was, “If you would just pick an apartment, we could move out from my parents.” But instead I said, “It’s such…a risk!” Deanna must have felt I had conceded because she removed her hand. I had to counter with an argument to let her know she hadn’t won just yet.

    I said, “We don’t what Mr. Stibbs will be asking. We haven’t even been inside! How do we know if that house is right for us?...Besides---it’s on 3 lots! We’d be paying a fortune just for the property.” That was so much talking, I could almost see my words in front of me. It had the desired effect. Deanna put her hand on my shoulder and said, “We could sell some of it!---At least, let’s check it out!” I had to hold back something. I couldn’t say, “Alright. We’ll buy and sell the land.” That would give her immediate victory and she would withdraw once again.

    I said, “Fine., We’ll check it out.” That gave her a glimmer of hope for the future, and at the same time, allowed me the possibility of refusal. I turned over in bed facing away from Deanna. I couldn’t let her see the nervous look on my face. Was she going to stop touching me? But she didn’t stop touching me. She put her arm around me. Success! I might get snuggled all night long! I thought to myself, “I hope we hate the place!” The more I hated it, the more touches I was going to get. However, I am sure Deanna was thinking, “I hope we love it!!” so she could stop having to touch me.

    Remember, little sis, after you get married to Gerald, withholding your touch can influence your man to give you what you want, but you may have to pay the price with a long and protracted argument as Gerald tries to get as much touching out of you as possible.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home