April's Real Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dad as threat

This morning over brekky, Dad told me, "I think I'm abt 2 tell U the last story from this series of me reminiscing abt dentistry in 1979 and 1980. Then back to my trains. Trains, trains, TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIINS!" He had a glassy look on his face 4 a sec, and then sed,"Sorry. I miss my trains. NEway, I was driving home @ the end of a grueling day of seeing patients. I wasn't calling them 'clients' yet. I was thinking, 'What is life NEways?'..." I sed, "That shd have been 'NEway.'" Dad sed, "It's rude 2 interrupt. So, after thinking 'What is life NEways,' I thot, 'Work, save, spend, eat...' Then I thot nothing until I'd parked in the driveway and gotten out of the car. Then I continued my thots w/'Nobody gives a damn abt the other guy... nobody cares. Sometimes I wonder what it's all 4...' Then I looked @ the house and thot, 'Ah. There it is. My castle, my refuge... The place I belong! My wife, my kids, --my recliner chair.....'" Then as I was opening the door, I heard yr mother shrieking, 'JUST WAIT TILL YR FATHER GETS HOME!' I don't even remember what it was that Michael had done that time, but I can tell you I hated being cast in that role. U know, the big THREAT. 'W8 until yr father comes home."

Mom came in2 the kitchen, overhearing that part, and she sed, "Do U think it was easy being cooped up w/2 small children all day?" And Dad sed, "I didn't mean 2 suggest that. But think abt my perspective. I came home from dealing with the public all day long, and I wanted more than NEthing for my family 2 B happy 2 C me. Do U think that children who have been told 'Just wait till your father gets home' R happy 2 C that father? I can't even tell U how demoralizing that was!" Mom did a "harrumph" kind of noise and went 4 the coffee.

NEway, that's if 4 now. MayB new material next wk!

Apes

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 AM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    Beatrice invited me to participate in a discussion they were having at Lilliput’s discussing the philosophy on the meaning of life based The Meaning of Life by The Dalai Lama.

    Beatrice Alfarero: I would like to open this discussion by saying that there are no boundaries on the discussion, and we should feel free to discuss our own personal philosophy, even if it doesn’t match that of the Dalai Lama exactly.
    Greg Thomas: Oh, I know. 42.
    Anne Nichols: That’s the Douglas Adams’ answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. I don’t know if we can count Douglas Adams as a serious answer.
    Greg Thomas: He wrote a whole book on the meaning of life.
    Anne Nichols: Meaning of Liff. Liff. Liff.
    Greg Thomas: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! There you go.
    Anne Nichols: I fall for that every time. Somebody help me here.
    Carol Enjo: Within the theology of Taoism, all man were originally a being called yuanling from Taiji and Tao, the meaning in life for the adherents is to realise the temporal nature of the existence, and all adherents are expected to practise, hone and conduct their mortal lives by way of Xiuzhen and Xiushen, as a preparation for the spiritual transcendence thereafter.
    Beatrice Alfarero: Good point, Carol. Would anyone care to comment?
    Françoise Caine: Well, the Shinto wants life to live, not to die. Life as the realm where the divine spirit seeks to purify itself by rightful self-development.
    Carol Enjo: Just how old are you, Françoise?
    Ned Tanner: I am more interested in the exact mechanisms by which biological life could have originated from inanimate matter. The Dalai Lama does not really address that and neither does Shinto nor Taoism.
    Rhetta Blum: Judaism regards life as a precious gift from God; precious not only because it is a gift from God, but because there is a uniqueness attached to that gift. Of all the creatures on Earth, humans are created in the image of God.
    Ned Tanner: What are you saying, Rhetta? Because I started off as a rubber plaything, my life does not come from God?
    Rhetta Blum: Aside from being a very questionable sales item which would make most people wonder why you would have a website devoted to you; I think of you more like a golem, an animated being created entirely from inanimate matter.
    Greg Thomas: And you also love your preshuussshhh!
    Rhetta Blum: Not that kind of golem, Greg.
    Ned Tanner and Greg Thomas: One Ring to Rule Them All. One Ring to Find Them. One Ring to Bring Them All and In The Darkness Bind Them.
    Anne Nichols: Spare me. Not this again. Anyone else?
    Me, Beatrice’s husband: I know that life with Beatrice and my kids gives meaning to my life.
    Rhetta Blum: Thanks, Howard. Ex-girlfriends love hearing that kind of stuff.
    Me, Beatrice’s husband: Sorry. But it’s true.
    Beatrice Alfarero: Let’s not go there Rhetta. Let’s stick to the meaning of life.
    John Patterson: What is life anyways? Work, save, spend, eat.
    Anne Nichols: John. If I had to guess what your answer would be to that question, that’s exactly what I would have guessed, especially the eating part.
    John Patterson: Nobody gives a damn about the other guy.
    Anne Nichols: Sorry, John. I didn’t mean to offend you.
    John Patterson: Nobody cares.
    Beatrice Alfarero: Dr. Patterson. Let’s not attack each other. We all care what Anne has to say. Don’t we group?
    Group: We do!!
    John Patterson: Sometimes I wonder what it’s all for.
    Greg Thomas: Cheese, he’s started rambling.
    John Patterson: Ah. There it is. My castle, my refuge…the place I belong! My wife, my kids, ---my recliner chair---
    Beatrice Alfarero: Recliner chair? Howard, dear, would you mind taking Dr. Patterson home?
    John Patterson: Home. I have no home. It’s my castle.
    Françoise Caine: He sounds a lot like dad used to. Weird.

    So I had to take your dad home. I hope he’s doing better.

    Love,
    Howard Bunt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home