April's Real Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

WHOSE harmonica?

K, so Liz wrote this last nite:
April,

First I want you all to remember that I am very musical, I love to sing and every year I put it on my "resolutions list" that I want to work harder at it and maybe get good at it someday, I have to confess that I do not have a lot of musical talent like April or Grandpa, or any writing talent like Mike and Mom, I take after Dad which means I have talent only for my job and also for a boring hobby like trains, except I don't like trains, I haven't figured out what my boring hobby will be yet, Mom says that since I'm a girl of course my hobby will be babies, she's probably right.

Well anyway the reason I didn't tell you more about my visit with Jesse was that I was afraid you would be mad, I did something I don't think you will like, see, me and Jesse went into his bedroom and closed the door and sat on his bed and Jesse came close to me and he said, "Miss Patterson, I've been wanting to be alone with you in my bed for ages!" and I said, "I know Jesse, your guilty conscience must have really ate at you," and Jesse said, "Yeah, sometimes, I know it's really not nice to want to do that kind of stuff to your teacher," and I said, "It's not nice to steal from anybody, Jesse, even if they're not your teacher," and he said, "Oh, yeah, right, I mean, I thought we were talking about something else," and then I knew that Susan Dokis can't be that great of a teacher if Jesse is having this much trouble following a simple conversation.

Anyway then I told him, "This was my grandfather's harmonica," and Jesse said, "I know, I took it last year when you were packing, I wanted something of yours...to keep," and then he said, "I'm sorry Miss Patterson, I should never of taken it," and of course that made me feel bad because Jesse gave me so much, like my spirit name, and I felt guilty, so I said, "No, you shouldn't have, I should have given it to you as a gift," because I should of read Jesse's mind that what he would want most of all would be Grandpa's spitty old harmonica, and not something more personal to me.

Here's the part that will probably make you mad April, I gave the harmonica back to Jesse and I said, "Here...learn to play it really well and remember me, OK?" I know this was drastic but you know he will need a special reminder of me since I am never going back to Mtigwaki ever again, now that I did my promise by going back one time, and also now I don't have a boyfriend there, so why bother, my life will be down south now, hopefully with the husband that my guide the Good Witch of the North has picked out for me, I will try really hard to remember Jesse, probably I will every time somebody steals something from me.

Anyhow then Jesse promised to learn the harmonica real good and then he said I taught him a lot of stuff and he wished I hadn't gone away, and then I closed my eyes and my lips puffed up with righteous Pattersonianism, that was exactly what I came to Mtigwaki to hear, how great I am, and then I thought, "What an awesome gift, and I only had to give him that nasty old harmonica to get it, I didn't even have to buy it with my own money!", just then I felt a hand on my chest and I opened my eyes and Jesse was touching me and I said, "If you're looking for something else to steal, I keep my money in my purse, and I left that at Gary and Viv's house!", then I did a sticky-outty tongue laff but Jesse said no, he was hoping we could play a game, I asked what game, and he said, "Noble Young Brave and Captured Missionary Lady," and I said sure and asked him how to play, and Jesse said I would have to get into a special position, but just then Aunt Marg opened the door and said the visit was over.

More Mtigwaki stories tomorrow, I have to brace myself to tell the next part, all I will say is, I was super brave!

Liz
K, so here's sumthing I wanna know. How come Jesse knew that the harmonica had belonged 2 Grandpa Jim, but NOT that Gramps had given that harmonica 2 ME, and that I had given it 2 Liz when she was 1st moving up 2 Mtig? Y no mention of it having also been my harmonica, eh? Was the fact that I gave it 2 Liz, when I was feeling all sentimental an' stuff, so unimportant 2 her that she never told Jesse and whoev else she told abt the harmonica 2? I think I'm really hurt rite now.

Dunc, thanx 4 offering 2 get the harmonica back. I think it's a really bad idea 2 reward Jesse 4 stealing it ("Oh, U stole it? That just means I shda GIVEN it 2 U!" ::rolleyes::) an' 4 perving after my sister who's so clueless she cdn't tell the kid was trying 2 DO her!

Apes

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April Dear,

    I don't think it would be a good idea to tell your Grandpa Jim that Liz gave away his prized family heirloom harmonica to a native criminal. He's already so fragile from his stroke, hearing that may very well kill him!

    I'm very disappointed in your sister. I hope she remembers "what comes around, goes around". In the near future, someone may give away one of her prized possessions.

    Love,
    Iris Richards

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    I don't understand why you are urging Duncan to steal the harmonica back from Jesse, after all that will be stealing too only it will be worse than the stealing Jesse did because I owed Jesse the harmonica as a gift but Jesse doesn't owe Duncan any kind of gift at all, also, Jesse has a special Native wisdom that told him the harmonica really belonged to him, I don't think you should go messing with the Great Spirit's plans for the harmonica.

    Don't worry Iris, I know Grandpa would be happy that I have passed the harmonica on to a musician who will cherish it and pass it down his male line, that is the important thing, since there are no musical boys in our family the harmonica belongs with someone who can pass it down to his sons, also now the harmonica will become part of the sacred native rituals.

    I don't think it's very nice to call Jesse a "criminal" when he was only following his native instincts that told him the harmonica belonged to him, remember, natives are very in touch with nature that way.

    Liz

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sgt. Royalson here.
    Please try to make your elder sister understand the seriousness of her communications with young Jesse. My police sources among the "natives" (I hope you don't mind this term, but it saves a lot of time) tell me that this young man is well on the way to a life of drunken, criminal dissolution, so common to the native population (and to the Irish and certain other races, I should add in all fairness). His crimes should not be excused away, but punished rigorously and mercilessly, for his own good. Nor should your sister encourage what she probably sees as a "cute schoolboy crush." It's apt to lead to an unfortunate scandal involving your sister producing yet another little actor in the cycle of poverty, drink, and crime. Capisce?

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Race! I wonder why people talk about people being in different "races"? As far as I can see, we are all running in the same direction to get the same things, like cars and husbands and babies and the new "CatSplat3000 Water Fountain with Turbo-Power," and the only thing that can make you win as a runner is if you leave the world a better place for having been there, like for instance if you build a landmark or write a book or give a whole town full of people good teeth or if you teach little children to read, sorry April, I'm pretty sure "selfishly enjoying making music" is not on that list so you're probably not going to win the race like me and Mom and Dad and Mike.

    Liz

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    liz, don't u think mayB u've given jesse the idea that it's ok 2 steal whatevs he wants now, cuz whoev he steals from shda given him the stuff as a gift? and who's 2 say dunc's bajan instincts don't know better where that harmonica belongs, eh? remember, mom keeps pics of dunc in our family album. she doesn't have pics of jesse in there.

    also, playing music gives other ppl joy, so there!

    apes

    p.s. iris, i won't tell gramps if u won't!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger duncan anderson said…

    Oh, man, oh, man, oh, man, Apes. Did u hear abt this? Now I cant quit skool on my 16th bd unless I come up w/ another plan 2 make $.

    I sent an email 2 Chips 2day 2 c if Chips or Beer have seen a nasty black cat hanging around Mtig. Jesse is going down & Faustus is coming back.

    L8r.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    dunc, i doubt yr mom wd ever have let u b-come a full-time squeegee guy neway. i don't think she'll let u drop outta school w/just yr grade 10 either. she totally wants u 2 grad an' go on2 uni, eh?

    did u get an answer 2 ne of yr e-mails abt faustus?

    apes

    p.s. i was watching sum reruns of the trailer park boys, and there was this one where ricky sez "worst case ontario" insteada "worst case scenario." when i laffed @ that, liz was all, "what? y is that funny?"

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth Dear,

    Perhaps you were a little shortsighted in giving away the harmonica to the boy who, ahem, STOLE it from you (making him a criminal). It's too bad you deprived your future sons such a precious heirloom. They'll never get the chance to hold or play a part of their family history. What a shame!

    April dear,

    That settles it, we have a pact! We'll let your sister explain to her grandfather the reasons she cavalierly gave up his beloved war relic, his last symbol of the sacrifices he made for our freedom.

    Love,
    Iris Richards

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's wrong with only having your grade ten? I only have my grade ten, and I turned out GREAT! Well, I'll be great next time I get out of prison that is. I have plans this time. Yeah, I know I had plans the other times, too, but these plans are better.

    Marjee, babe, can't we get back together?

    Nardo

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nardo, Howard is telling me what to write right now.

    No. We are over. Even though Warren might just have broken my heart, that is no reason to get back together with the likes of you!

    Duncan, Howard says Nardo is a perfect illustration of why you, April, and your other friends need to stay in school and study hard!

    Marjee

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    iris, it's a deal!

    oh, liz, btw, how do u know robin won't b musical?

    marjee, tell howard no worries, i wasn't planning on dropping out.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home