April's Real Blog

Friday, May 12, 2006

Rights R not RIGHT?

K, so U mite remember that abt a wk an' a half ago, Howard's Aunt Winnie had this, like, precognition. Howard wrote abt it in a post:
I got a very strange call from my aunt Winnie Kelpfroth tonight. She said, “The oddest thing happened yesterday night, Howard. I don’t know how to describe it.” I said, “What happened?” She said, “It was like I could see into the future.” I said, “When was it?” My aunt said, “It was May 12.” I said, “May 12. How can you be so sure of the date?” My aunt said, “It’s precognition. You don’t question these things.”

I said, “OK. What happened?” My aunt said, “I saw the apartment upstairs from us. Our landlady Lovey was there, playing with the little boy who lives up there, as she usually does.” I said, “And what else?” My aunt said, “There were toys on the floor, and there was a lady in a rocking chair talking to our landlady and telling her ‘Thanks for being such a good friend to my children.’ Then Lovey said, ‘It’s a pleasure. Such nice kids.’ I said, “So the lady in the rocking chair was the mother of the kids?” My aunt said, “No. She was older. At first I thought I was seeing far into the future, but the little boy looked about the same age he does now. Not only that, but the lady did not have oversized lips, like their mother does.” I said, “That’s curious. Then what happened?”

My aunt said, “Well, then it was like I was outside the window on the upstairs apartment listening in, but I could still hear our landlady clearly. She said, ‘It gives me something to do besides worry. I’m tired of looking after these houses, Elly.’” “Elly?” I said. “The lady in the chair must be Elly Patterson, the mother of Michael Patterson who lives upstairs from you.” My aunt said, “His mother. Well she must live pretty far away and doesn’t see her grandson very often; since I don’t think I have ever seen her before. The little boy obviously was much more comfortable playing with Lovey than with her.” I said, “No. They live in the same town I live in. I thought you met her when you came to Milborough some months ago, for that party?” My aunt said, “I don’t think so. I think this is the first time I have seen her, and it was only a precognition. You would think a grandmother who lived so close would visit her grandchildren more often. Their other grandmother is loud and obnoxious, but she is here all the time.” I said, “She was busy with her bookstore, but she sold it recently to have more time. So then what happened?”

My aunt said, “Well then I could see Lovey and the other lady pretty closely. Lovey said, ‘If I had all good tenants, I’d be happy. Your boy and Josef Weeder are good ones, but the people downstairs give me pains!’” I said, “Wow! What kind of pains do you give her?” My aunt said, “The usual pains, where one neighbour complains about another and expects the landlady to fix the problem.” I said, “Same old story, you’ve told me before. They don’t like uncle Mel smoking and they don’t like it when you pound the ceiling to let them know they are being too noisy, so they are constantly on your landlady’s case. So what happened next?”

My aunt said, “Well the other lady gets up and reaches for Lovey’s coffee cup and she says, ‘Can’t you evict them?’ Then Lovey says, ‘Hah! They know their rights, Elly. And…they have so many rights!’ Then the little boy tries to rip the head off one of his dolls.” I said, “Hmm! She keeps on calling her Elly by name. I guess Elly doesn’t visit very often, if Lovey is using that old memory trick. Is Lovey trying to evict you, still?” My aunt said, “She filed a grievance with the eviction notice about the ceiling damage last year from the time Mel hit it too hard with the broom. We paid for our ceiling to be repaired, so now she doesn’t have grounds for eviction. We are lucky we live in a country, Howard, that doesn’t throw people homeless on the street just because they knock a little plaster off their ceiling.” I said, “You’re so right there. Well, what happened next?”

My aunt said, “Well then I could see Lovey again really close and the mole on her chin was about the size of her pearl earring. It was so large, it made the other lady step back with a look of fear on her face. Then she said, ‘Sigh….It just isn’t right.’” I said, “It isn’t right that you have rights, or it isn’t right that you know what your rights are?” My aunt said, “I guess ‘the know the rights’ part, because if Mel and I didn’t know our rights, we would be kicked out of our home on the street.” I said, “Why are you still there? The upstairs neighbours are noisy and the landlady doesn’t think you should have rights.” My aunt said, “Howard. This is just a precognition. It doesn’t mean anything. Between now and May 12, things could change. Lovey might like us again, like in the days when she realized how the upstairs neighbours were stiffing her on her rent by continuing to only pay the discounted rent she gave them when they weren’t both employed full time.” I said, “I don’t know. It sounds like an extremely clear precognition. I think you and uncle Melville may need to keep your housing options open.” Aunt Winnie said, “Howard. How many times do I have to tell you? Our neighbours grouse and complain all the time and nothing ever happens from it and nothing ever will. Don’t worry.” I told her I would try not to worry.
And oddly enuf, I'd had a v. similar precogntion, which I wrote abt in my entry the next morning:
Howard, it's so weird that yr auntie had that precognition thingy abt May 12. Cuz I had one 2, & it was v. v. similar, xcept in mine, it wasn't that the thingz she described happed on May 12. It was that I hadta hear my Mom telling abt thoze events. And in my version, it was part of a longer story she'd been telling @ least for 4 dayz B4 then, & mayB even longer! My vision made me shudder! I wonder what-all that means!
NEway, Mrs. Kelpfroth & I musta had sum weird psychic thing going, cuz this totally came true! Only now, I realize the "May 12" thing musta just been when I was gonna B talking abt this here on my blog. An' mayB the reason Howard's Aunt Winnie had a precoggy thing abt it was that her nephew's, like, connected 2 this blog? But NEway, Mom just happed 2 tell me this part of the story, which was the part after what I told in yesterday's entry. Do U think Lovey's trying 2 B like a Patterson, w/the whole "rights"/"right" thing? MayB 2 much xposure 2 Mike, eh? V. v. lame, I think.

Band practice w/Becks was interesting last night. Sorry abt the nail-filing lecture. I don't know what came over me!

Apes

12 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    My aunt said her precognition came true, just as you quoted from my original post to you. My aunt and uncle did get a Notice to Terminate a Tenancy Early (Form N5) from Lovey Saltzman back in October and Lovey did file the Application to Terminate a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant (Form L2) with the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal. The rights she was talking about not being right to have are that the tenant may void the notice and stay in the rental unit if they stop the activity within 7 days, and also that tenant may dispute the landlord’s application. The plaster repair for their ceiling was easy to prove that they had repaired it with the bill from the repair company. The smoking complaint was more difficult. The Tenant Protection Act does not actually address smoking as grounds to evict a tenant. However, a landlord may have grounds to evict a tenant if the smoke damages the property or bothers other tenants. In the case of the smoking, it is the “bothering the other tenants” part under which the application was applied. The requirement under the Tenant Protection Act is that the actions or conduct of a tenant or their guest seriously interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of another tenant, or interfered with a lawful right, privilege or interest of another tenant. This is much more difficult for Lovey to prove, and my aunt and uncle exercised their rights to dispute the situation and the Tribunal did not order the eviction. My aunt thinks that Lovey was hoping that they would be some poor ignorant slobs who didn’t realize their rights to void the notice and dispute the application for eviction. If that had happened, then the Tribunal would issue a default order for the eviction.

    I asked my aunt and uncle why they continue to stay there when they are being harassed by the landlady and my aunt said “It took awhile to find this place. The rents in this burg are brutal. We are willing to overlook the fact that nothing works, the place is falling apart, the basements are damp, the wiring is ancient in exchange for the inexpensive rent and a place to stay. I don’t make enough money from my candle parties or Mel from dealing in collector cards, to afford a better place.”

    It’s not a good situation, and my aunt is afraid now that your nephew’s earaches are going to be blamed on her and Mel, and be used as a means to get them evicted as a health risk from secondhand smoke. She is not quite as cocky as she was when she had her precognition.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I read your writings from your friend Howard’s ninoshenh (aunt). Your ningashi (mother) is a good judge of character. She knew I was someone she could show pictures of your sister to. So, if she thinks your friend Howard’s ninoshenh (aunt) and nimishoome (uncle) should be evicted, then they should. There should be no doubt about that.

    As for your nisayenh(brother’s) landlady, I must strongly disagree that it is not right for your friend Howard’s ninoshenh (aunt) and nimishoome (uncle) to have rights. Every week, one of my most unpleasant duties as a part of the Ontario Provincial Police is the eviction of families from their homes. Many times is because there is a lack of rent control and the lack of availability of homes in the Otter County area. Many of the tenants I have to evict cited family emergencies such as the death of a loved one, and serious illness as the reasons for being in arrears on their rent. Many of these people are unaware of their rights as a tenant, do not dispute the eviction with the Housing Tribunal, and are ordered out of their homes without receiving a hearing where they can explain the reason for their situation.

    The Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal in Otter County receives an average of 90 eviction requests per week. This means that local shelters are full and the Regional Municipality of Otter County has to pay to house homeless families in hotels for the night. These are fall outs of the Tenant Protection Act which removed rent controls. In other words, the landlord can raise the rent each time a tenant leaves a unit, and this provides a direct incentive for landlords to evict tenants.

    If anyone other than your ningashi (mother) had said your friend Howard’s ninoshenh (aunt) and nimishoome (uncle) needed to be evicted, I would be suspicious that your nisayenh(brother’s) landlady was using your nisayenh(brother’s) complaints as an excuse to be able to raise the rent. But since your ningashi (mother) has said it and her judgement is honest and true, I know they should be evicted. I am sure that during the times your mother has met your friend Howard’s ninoshenh (aunt) and nimishoome (uncle), she was able to figure out what kind of people they are.

    I hope your nindoozhim (nephew) feels better soon.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Little sis. Mom and Lovey are so great. Lovey said they had a very nice visit, and she took my advice to use some puns when she talked to mom, so mom would feel at ease around her. Even though she has never met them, mom completely believes like I do, that the Kelpfroths are morons and should be evicted. They are a humourless couple with a penchant for booze, cigars and Broadway tunes. Melville just smokes a cigar whenever he has the urge to do so, even though their lease has a no smoking clause. The smell creeps up the stairs and through the floorboards into our apartment like a pork fart in an elevator. Life would be so much better if they were living some place else and I didn’t know how a pork fart smelled.

    I thought I had taught the Kelpfroths a good lesson with my article in the Clarion last year. But I guess “Knock on Wood” didn’t knock on their wooden heads enough. Maybe I should do a follow-up on how smokers should have no rights as tenants, and call it “Knock on Hard Wood.” That would be funny, because it would show how the moronic Kelpfroths have really hard heads. I got a couple of new projects and my job editing that movie script, because of the article. I wonder what I would get with “Knock on Hard Wood”? Well, back to work. Those articles just don’t write themselves.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, i can’t b-lieve ur talkin’ ‘bout rental disputes n ur real blog. that rehearsal last nite wuz rilly tense, w/the little comments rebeccah wud make ‘bout how it wuz wen she d8ed duncan & her purple lip song & eva sayin’ it wuz silly 2 bring up sum guy who iz alreddy nvolved w/sum goth girl & duncan just squirmin’, wen rebeccah sed duncan wuz way n2 hip-hop & not goth 4 that relationship 2 work & eva kinda agreed w/that. i tried 2 stay outa it, but rebeccah hadta mention she usedta d8 me till i started messin’ w/sum othah girl & eva got mad & asked me who i wuz foolin’ ‘round w/ & she got mbarrassed wen i sed it wuz when she wuz erased & livin’ w/me & eva got all defensive ‘bout how b-ing erased wuzn’t her fault & rebeccah talked ‘bout how u can tell sum1’s true character wen they r erased & how she nevah rilly knew wut a great guy howard wuz till he wuz turned n2 a dog & eva sed nothin’ happed tween her & me wen she wuz erased so she wuz just az good az howard wen he wuz a dog & then howard walked n frum doing hiz show @the valhalla wearin’ sum low cut dress & thingz got rilly quiet. sumwhere n there we got enuff songz 2gethah 2 play a prom gig, but i dunno how. neway, y aren’t u ritin’ ‘bout that kinda stuff nsteada rental disputes? they r way more innerestin’.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Jeremy is right. Rental disputes are boring. Justin is reading me a history book right now. His voice is so romantic, even when he is talking about Canadian land disputes, it is more interesting than Toronto rental disputes.

    Love,
    Shannon Lake

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    jeremy, shannon, u r rite, my topic 2day is dull an' i'm sorry abt that. it's kinda hard 2 xplain, but when i write my blog entry in the morning, it's like sum force beyond my control is making me rite abt certain stuff, even if i don't wanna. kinda like how a force puts my hair in a st00pid bun all the time. i tried 2 write more abt the band, but my hands kinda froze up. it was weird.

    paul, u really c my mom thru patterson-coloured glasses.

    howard, i guess yr auntie wishes our precogz had been wrong. i know i do!

    apes

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    I’ll bite on this one. What colour are Patterson-coloured glasses?

    Howard K.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    hm, well, on most days, i guess they're, like, b/w. but on sundays, they're multicoloured.

    apes

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, thass a v.v. strange answer 2 that question. i know 'bout glasses that change colour n the sunlite, but only on sundayz iz diff. i guess i unnerstand now y ur mom wunted thoze glasses back frum wen she left them @constable paul wright's place. must b a special prescription.

    neway. eva asked me if i wunted 2 go c art school confidential w/her. it's rated "r" but i shudn't have ne prob gettin' n. nobody cardz me nemore & w/her white hair sumtymez peeps think eva iz kinda old lookin'.

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    About the glasses, are you speaking metaphorically, or do you really have glasses like that? It's not a problem if you do, it's just that if you do, there are some things that would make more sense around here.

    Howard K.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Boozhoo (Hello).

    I read your writings from your friend Howard about your ningashi (mother's) glasses. They do demonstrate those unusual colouring characteristics. I tried them on briefly to see if they were prescription and when I did I suddenly realized that your sister was adventuresome, loves the challenge of keeping track of several grades in one classroom, enjoys the outdoors and the lifestyle, and likes simple things like policemen. Not only that, I remembered that in her picture your ningashi (mother) showed me, she was fantastically beautiful. Of course, in real life, your sister was even better-looking. I can tell you, even looking through the glasses briefly, they are not like regular prescription glasses.

    I hope your nindoozhim (nephew) feels better soon.

    Gi'-ga-wa-ba-min' na-gutch! (See you later!)
    Constable Paul Wright

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    i don't have glasses like that, howard, but like paul sez, mom sure duz.

    apes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home