April's Real Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Trading Spaces?

Mike posted this bit in the wee hrs this morning. Seems he, Mom, Mike, an' Dee went 2 look @ the Stibbs Teeny-Tiny Train House:
April,

Formerly little sis. The day finally arrived in which mom would get to see what George Stibbs’ house looks like. As you know Deanna and I had pretty much decided before we went that the house was too small for my family, so the trip ostensibly was to satisfy mom’s curiosity. Dad had written in his monthly letter from February that the house had marble countertops, oak trim done everywhere, with some tile floors; so I was curious to see if there actually were those things in the house, or if dad, as he does so often in his monthly letters, was simply making things up. I am glad to say I did see some oak trim where the wall met the ceiling.

As mom entered the house, she does as she normally does when she enters someone’s house---she tells the owner what a lovely house they have. Some people might shake hands with the owner or ask to be invited in, but that is not the way mom does it. I remember once, Mira Sobinski, told me it was polite to greet people as you entered their house. She obviously didn’t know what she was talking about.

George responded to mom’s statement with “Uh-huh…We designed it for our retirement.” I know how that is. Deanna and I have often said that we would not get nice furniture until our children were full grown, and the time spent in our room with the new furniture there is certainly a good example of that. In any case, I understood George perfectly. Save the nice house for your retirement.

Dad got confused though, and he was whispering to me. He said, “Please forgive George. This is a wartime house, built shortly after World War II for wartime veterans coming home. George may be old but he’s not old enough to have designed the house for his retirement. What he really means is that he redecorated the interiour for his retirement.”

Then George started wandering off talking about something or other having to do with how there used to not be many houses here 10 years ago before his wife died. I sort of tuned him out and he sort of tuned us out, too, and walked away. Then Dad whispered, “Lois died last year, so George has only been here for the last 11 years. I think he has forgotten we live just down the road from him. The neighbouhood wasn’t that barren 11 years ago. You were only 19 then, Mike. Then dad launched into a story about how things were 11 years ago. Deanna rolled her eyes at dad so hard, I thought they were headed off her head.

I suddenly realized I had forgotten to zip up, so I went over to the window in silhouette to disguise my actions. Mom came over to help, and then said to me in a voice plain enough for everyone to hear, “Your dad has always loved this corner lot. What do you think, Michael?” I replied in a loud enough voice for everyone to hear, “It’s pretty nice, alright. But there are only two bedrooms.” Then mom said per her cue, “Yes, the house IS small.” Dad had been muttering about how he liked the place because it was on 3 lots, and not because it was a corner lot, but interrupted himself saying, “But….you could add on!!” I whispered to mom, “Does dad know we’re not buying this place?” Mom said, “Apparently not. Why doesn’t he listen when I tell him things?”

So, I decided to squelch dad right then and there. I was feeling about 10 cm taller than he was, and I said, “Dad! For what this house and property are worth…Deanna and I could buy YOUR place!!” I have to admit that was putting it on the table for me. I threatened him where he lives. I touched his chest and even gestured to dad down below as if I were getting ready to touch him personally, an action which usually gets his attention. Mira Sobinski says when I do that with Wilf Sobinski, it makes me look like some kind of pervert. Shows how much she knows. I had dad’s complete attention and he gave one of those looks he does, where he has no mouth, or eyes, or nostrils. It’s difficult to read his emotions when he is like that, but I knew it was a positive response.

That’s it for right now, formerly little sis. I’ll save the rest for tomorrow.
Love,
Michael Patterson
LOLfulness. Stay tuned 2 C if they reached the conclusion that it wd B a gd idea 4 Mom & Dad 2 take the lil house an' let Mike an' Dee an' the littles have the big Pattermanse.

Oh, and Anthony, Liz has a major hangover and dried vom in her hair this morning. And Dad doesn't look so gr8 either. MayB when U guyz go out drinking 2gether, U shd make sure it's not a school/work nite. I M pretty sure Liz is gonna call in "sick." Dunno abt Dad, tho.

Apes

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Oh man...Gordie told me about his dentist appt. Dr. Elliot Everett-Callahan was out getting his hair styled, or sumthing, so yr dad worked on his teeth. Gordie sed he smelled like he knocked over an entire LCBO store. & he had chafe marks around his neck 4 sum reason. He was trying 2 make small talk the whole time he was scraping plaque of Gordie's teeth, saying things like "A healthy mouth is a happy mouth, that's the tooth!"

    Me & Gordie'll be @ Horny T's n a while if u wanna join us. He'll b watching us eat & drink since his mouth is still numb from anesthesia from this morning.

    Vicks

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! But I thought my little April flower and I would someday buy the Patterson Homestead and raise our family of 5 children, 6 dogs, and 7 dozen rabbits there! No fair! Why does Mike get to have it? I already said I would change my name to "Patterson" when my little April flower and I wed!

    Great. Now we will have to buy Mater and Pater's house. White gets dirty so easy. Oh well, at least Pater will have to leave behind the wine cellar. I hear those Seniors Living Palace apartments are tiny.

    Pouting, Gerald

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, my v-girl vanessa sed wen we get married we shud buy my house frum my mom & live there. 'course i sed, "y? since we aren't evn bf/gf yet." vanessa sed, "livin' in ur old house 4 the rest of ur life is so victimificant, cuz most peeps wud wanna live sum place new, w/like modern stuff in it, nsteada sum old run-down place."

    i dunno if vanessa haz evah seen ur place, but u gotta b happ ur bro will get it nstead of u. i get lost everytyme i am there. if u get married, u prolly wanna pick a place where u don't hafta worry 'bout findin' a guest who got lost in a closet that looked like a bedroom months aftah the party wuz ovah. u've lived there all ur life, so ur usedta it.

    'course livin' in gerald's house haz it's probs 2. u mite wanna paint it sum othah colour than white, mebbe 1 of thoze pastels ur fam likes so much & then gerald's mom wud complain.

    as 4 my mom, she sed if i wanna buy the dump we live in now, she wud b happy 2 sell it. i think she plans 2 get a nicer place, when she & the future dad finally decide 2 get married, which shud b sumtyme 'round september.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger April Patterson said…

    vicks, i m so sorry 2 hear that gordie hadta b one of my dad's victims, er, clients 2day.

    ger, yeah, mike is so totally my 'rents' fave, u know he gets whatevs he wants. @ least u r yr 'rents' fave, so no way they'd let yr bro or yr sis have the house if u sed u wanted it.

    jeremy, wow, soundz like u an' yr victimificant other r getting kinda serious, eh?

    apes

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger howard said…

    April,

    The judgment from my appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeals was not listed today. My lawyer, Mr. Benis, said I shouldn’t be discouraged and that most times the judgments from appeals are not instantaneous. He said, “It’s not like one of the justices unexpectedly gets divorced and you suddenly get an instantaneous judgment as a result. It’s kind of like someone deciding they want to move into a house in 2005, where the owner doesn’t want to sell; sometimes they have to wait until 2007 for the owner to be ready.” I said I hoped the judgment on my appeal wouldn’t take 2 years, and Mr. Benis said that the judges would not drag it out that long. They were not that incompetent.

    In the meantime, Becky is all excited about having a house she picks out herself, where she doesn’t have to live with her mother and Dr. McCaulay. She’s found a number of houses, oddly enough, in your neighbourhood have suddenly come up for sale and it is practically a buyer’s market. Becky suspects it is because some kind of undesirable element is moving into the neighbourhood. She doesn’t know what it is, but people have become anxious to move away. Maybe it’s a mortuary or a crematorium or something equally as unpopular. It doesn’t matter to us. A bargain is a bargain.

    I think Becky is really looking forward to house-hunting. I calculated how much I had in savings from the time when I was working for her mom plus what money Becky has left from her career after the disaster of the Gym / Jam. When you have essentially no living expenses, because your food and board were taken care of, you can sock away almost everything you make into savings. We have enough for a downpayment easily. Also, with my monthly salary I have been promised from Portrait Magazine assuming I am acquitted, it turns out almost every house for sale in your neighbourhood is affordable for me, no matter what money Becky brings in from her career, which I am sure will be quite nice once people forget the debacle of last October. Becky is quite excited to have so many choices, and to not have to think of only one house as “the one.” It would be depressing if there was only one choice.

    Maybe tomorrow they will post the judgment on my appeal, but it’s back to Mimico tonight for me.

    Howard Bunt

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    april, u know wen vanessa talked ‘bout us livin’ in my house 4evah, i thot it wuz kinda serious 2. so, wen i wuz @ horny t's w/her & the rest of the v-girls & gordie duroccher; there wuz a tyme wen the v-girls went 2 the washroom 2gethah, like girls like 2 do 4 sum reasn. i sed 2 gordie, “iz vanessa serious ‘bout us gettin’ married?”

    gordie’s mouth wuz still numb from anesthesia from this morning & he sed, “vanessha’s not sherioush ‘bout nethin’ eshcept her v-boy ish victimificant. rite now, she’sh rilly jealoush of vicki cuz i hadda a bad dental eshxam & i am more victimificant than u. i like vanessha, but if bad thingsh don’t happ 2u, ssshe will drop u.” i wiped the spit off my face & thanked gordie 4 the info. then i sed, “vicki duzn’t seem like she’s the same way.” gordie sed, “vicki dushn’t hafta b. moshta the tyme i am recoverin’ frum shum wicked eshxtreme shport injury.” i sed, “ur lucky ur not lucky.” gordie sed, “thassh rite.”

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    howie,

    omg, if ur appeal is like buying mr. stibbs's house, then who do u think has 2 die b4 u'll get ur appeal?!?

    btw, what u sed abt me wanting 2 get remarried if u evah die did not sound v. good. i want 2 xxplain. having howie 4 my fiance/husband is super-awesum. if howie died, i would b super sad. i would want 2 b happy again tho at sum point, so i would want 2 get remarried, if i could find another gay man who likes 2 stay home w/ the kids an' cook an' who is also so cube that he could b my best bud.

    becks

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger howard said…

    Becky,

    I certainly hope no one has to die for the judges to complete the judgment on my appeal. Mr. Benis says sometimes it takes the judges a few days to finish the paperwork. I’m sure I will find out soon enough and we can go house-hunting.

    I will agree I didn’t word what you said about remarriage quite as nicely as I should. I should have said you would be super sad about my being dead before you remarried someone who was like me. You were quite right of course.

    Your Howie

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April,

    Formerly little sis. There comes a time in every man’s life when he has to arrange an elaborate scheme in order to convince his wife to do something. Our dear father has been lusting over George Stibbs’ home and property for the better part of the last 19 months, and after our mother refused to let him buy it, he began this elaborate scheme of pretending it would be a good home for Deanna and me and the kids. And I suppose from mom’s perspective, this might make sense. After all, Deanna and I spent the last 5 years living in a 2-bedroom apartment, so a 2-bedroom house would be an improvement. However, with Deanna’s desire for a place with at least 4 bedrooms, George’s place would never have been satisfactory for us.

    As we were looking through George Stibbs’ house during our visit, George magically reappeared from he had disappeared, with his sleeves rolled down since the last time we saw him. Deanna pulled me into a silhouette and said, “Mike, we should step over here and let George work.” I said, “George work what?” Deanna said, “The routine he is going to play on mom.” I said, “What routine?” Deanna said, “To convince mom to buy his house.” I said, “You’ve got to be kidding!”

    But she wasn’t kidding. George looked at my dad and mom and said, “That’s not a bad idea, John! You and Elly would fit in here like fingers in a glove! You talked about setting your trains out back there on the property—I’d say the potential here is for you two…not the kids!” Deanna said, “Wow, George is one awful actor.” I said, “Because of the way he can instantly gain weight by just moving his right arm? I thought that was a pretty good trick.” Deanna said, “No. He has completely overplayed it. Elly has her hand on her hip and she’s not looking at George. She’s glaring at your dad.” I said, “How do you know about this?” Deanna said, “Your father and I commute to work every day he goes to work, and we have been discussing our financial future for the last month. He knows how good I am at scheming, and so he enlisted my help for our mutual benefit.” I said, “Then you know what George is going to do next?” Deanna said, “If it’s like what he just did, he is going to completely overdo it.”

    Then George put his hand on dad’s shoulder and looked him earnestly in the eye and said with trembling lips, “Sell them YOUR place!!” Deanna groaned. She said, “George is as subtle as your mom’s cooking. He looks like he is professing his love to your dad, not offering to sell him his house. I hope your dad can recover.” And recover is exactly what dad tried to do.

    He looked at mom as smooth as could be, without even taking his hand out of his pocket and said, “George’s suggestion has merit, Elly.---Why don’t we think about it?” Deanna moaned. “Geez, Mike. You’re dad’s almost as bad an actor as George. Your mom’s not going to be fooled by that line. ‘Has merit’. Who says that?”

    Sure enough, mom’s response was “You mean, ‘Why don’t I think about it?’” Then George had a suddenly disoriented, discombobulated, look. I thought he might have been surprised by mom figuring out dad’s scheme so easily; or he might have been concerned that mom, while doing our patented Patterson splay of hand to the breast gesture, had broken her wrist. Later on, George confessed to me that he briefly couldn’t tell the difference between mom and dad, which is a common problem, but shocking if you’re not accustomed to it.

    Mom’s evil eye on dad soon faded and she started to look around the house as she said, “It looks like you’ve already made up your mind!” George winked at dad either indicating he thought the scheme had worked on mom, or it was some kind of pick-up signal. I don’t know which one. Dad looked a little miffed at George, no doubt from his poor acting performance, or because he was trying to pick up dad right in front of mom. It’s hard to say with the gestures of the very old, what they truly mean. All you can know for sure is that if a husband wants something from his wife, he has to enlist the help of his daughter-in-law and use an elaborate scheme.

    And yes, formerly little sis, I will have more for you tomorrow.

    Love,
    Michael Patterson

     

Post a Comment

<< Home